Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: gane of thrones: good reads?
yep 88 61.97%
nope 17 11.97%
its okay 18 12.68%
option 4 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #76
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Very, very tempted to attempt to read Book 1, but the length scares me
Fear not. Its well worth the time investment.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #77
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm currently 9% through the first instalment and finding it tough going at the moment.

When does GoT start to get 'interesting'? Anyone else found the first section quite slow and dull?
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #78
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Still working on book 1. It's good, long, but good.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #79
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Finished book 3. Wow in one word.
Spoiler:
It was like watching paint dry for the first half then the characters where dropping faster than flies.So exciting the second half was.

Book 4 is like ummmmmm what happened. So have to see how it goes.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #80
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've started reading A Game of Thrones not long ago and I am down to 51% (I wish my kindle would tell me exact number of the page...). I saw the HBO show so I know what happens but seeing all the hype around the author and series I decided to start reading it. Sadly it's not as good as I was expecting. Except the imp, Jon and maybe Arya, all the characters are annoying and shallow. Ned, Sansa and rest of the Starks are so terribly boring...

Another thing that bothers me is the lack of details. It seems that mr. Martin only bothered to give description just to the looks of the characters and the way they are dressed, leaving aside a lot of stuff that might be worth mentioned. Like elaborate legends of places or weapons, or the life of common people and their ways. I am glad whenever Daenerys is mentioned since her setting is much more interesting than the halls in King's Landing or Winterfell.

I also don't understand why mr. Martin didn't put magic in his books but still bothers to refer to it or magical creatures. What's the point of mentioning air wizards, manticores or rune enchanted armors since he does not give the reader any more info on them except vague mention in a passage.

There are many more things left to be said and I have not even finished the first book. I'll keep reading though since I have a lot of free time and the books have been on my "to read" list for some time now.
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #81
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Am 19% or page 164 through and things are starting to pick up right now.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #82
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I'm torn. I'm in the middle of Book 3, and starting to find some of the writer's tics annoying. Heraldic details ad nauseam, etc. I've started to skim over the sex and violence. I'd quit, except that I really like Tyrion and Arya.

I outright laughed when Dani

Spoiler:
was trying to gather an army and she buys the 8000 (or whatever) soldiers whose training involved, yes, being mean to BOTH babies and puppies. I suspect Martin of some self-parody and out-Heroding Herod here.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #83
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
I'm torn. I'm in the middle of Book 3, and starting to find some of the writer's tics annoying. Heraldic details ad nauseam, etc.
I think you'll appreciate this:
http://grrrm.livejournal.com/2452.html

Fair warning: don't read if you haven't read the first book, or if you don't like parody.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #84
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
I've started reading A Game of Thrones not long ago and I am down to 51% (I wish my kindle would tell me exact number of the page...). I saw the HBO show so I know what happens but seeing all the hype around the author and series I decided to start reading it. Sadly it's not as good as I was expecting. Except the imp, Jon and maybe Arya, all the characters are annoying and shallow. Ned, Sansa and rest of the Starks are so terribly boring...

Another thing that bothers me is the lack of details. It seems that mr. Martin only bothered to give description just to the looks of the characters and the way they are dressed, leaving aside a lot of stuff that might be worth mentioned. Like elaborate legends of places or weapons, or the life of common people and their ways. I am glad whenever Daenerys is mentioned since her setting is much more interesting than the halls in King's Landing or Winterfell.

I also don't understand why mr. Martin didn't put magic in his books but still bothers to refer to it or magical creatures. What's the point of mentioning air wizards, manticores or rune enchanted armors since he does not give the reader any more info on them except vague mention in a passage.

There are many more things left to be said and I have not even finished the first book. I'll keep reading though since I have a lot of free time and the books have been on my "to read" list for some time now.

shhhhhhh he might hear you and it will be 4000 page book and 10 years in the creation for the next one.

He needs no more to prattle on over tho I see your point.

applesauce
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #85
applesauce
Addict

Oh I love this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3...ature=youtu.be

applesauce
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #86
theenframed
Enthusiast
theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post

Things get VERY interesting in Book 3 if you choose to keep reading.

Characters and the back story are developed over time. I have found that my interest in certain characters shifts over the course of the series.

It may just be me but I find GRRM offers may too much detail at times.

As for the inclusion of the magical, here is something to keep in mind. Don't worry, I will not spoil anything for you. During the age in which the series takes place, most people do not believe in magic anymore. Magic has vanished and become the stuff of myth, legend, or lore. It has been replaced by the "game of thrones" and all that entails. The few that do take magic seriously are not really well received. However, the ignorance of magic may be a VERY grave mistake.
theenframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #87
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post

I had already seen it, but I just watched it again (twice!). It's so hilarious. And I totally agree with the makers of this video.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #88
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
Isn't that the guy from The Guild?

Also, thanks for the replies. I will continue reading the books and I hope to see more of Daenerys and less of Sansa. At this rate I should finish all the books in a month, maybe less.

Did you guys know there's even a Wiki page for these books? Talk about hype...
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #89
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I think you'll appreciate this:
http://grrrm.livejournal.com/2452.html

Fair warning: don't read if you haven't read the first book, or if you don't like parody.
HA! Laughed 'til I almost cried.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #90
applesauce
Addict

more fun
http://mashable.com/2012/06/03/game-of-thrones-parody/

applesauce