Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Redflea
Redflea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Collections duplicating w/"@" sign on PC Kindle app...

New Kindle Touch owner here...been eReading on Android for a while using Kindle app, Nook app, Google Books app, etc., but decided I wanted to try a dedicated eReader, so got the Touch this week.

One area of confusion (as in Amazon's implementation causes my confusion ) is keeping collections in sync between my PC and the Kindle.

I created collections in the PC Kindle app, and sync'd them to the Kindle using the Import collections option on the Kindle.

I then modified one of the collection names on the Kindle, and downloaded a number of books to it and they appeared in the appropriate collections as I had set them up on the PC, so that was all good.

I then went back into the PC app and it said there were new collections to import, so I said OK and selected my Kindle from the dialog that appeared.

So now I have duplicated collections, per below, and both Autobio (initial name created on PC) and Autobiography (renamed on Kindle).

So what is the right process to clean this up, and to avoid it in the future...why can't the PC app/Kindle tell that they are the same collections, or that I've renamed Autobio to Autobiography on the Kindle and update that properly?

COLLECTION:

Autobio
Food
SciFi
Classics
Non-Fiction
Mystery
Autobiography
Non-Fiction@
Classics@
Mystery@
SciFi@
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Redflea

Over 80 views, no comments...So I guess I'm the first on this one, eh?

OK, so to clean this up, I can just delete all collections on the PC, and import again from the Kindle, right?
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
No you are not the first one, but I do not think anyone knows what the "right" way is to clean them up. The longer you have your devices and the more you change your collections the worse it will get. I still have collections showing up during the import which I have not used in three years, not to mention devices showing up on the list that are not on my MYK page on Amazon's servers.

The only device I can tell you is pick the device that needs the most corrections, remove all the books from those collections and then delete the collections. Allow a day or two to sync them with Amazon's servers, and then import them from the other device.

Usually after I have my collections setup, I only make manual adjustments on both devices rather than continue to use the import feature.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Redflea

Thanks for the feedback...too many gremlins in the SW, I guess. I'll give your suggestion a try.