Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Like him losing..?

Bwahahahaha!
That would be the most likely of the two options, yes... but we can but hope.

Heh, heh. Looks like we can get some serious fan-based banter going here over the next month...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I must say I'm surprised at Federer. It seems he peaked and then lost it far too early.

He was, what, 28 when he started going downhill? Isn't that too young? Is this the way tennis will be from now on? In most sports, athletes are at their peak around 28, 29.

And what's up with Nadal's homoerotic Armani Jeans adverts? Have you seen this? Personally, I prefer the Megan Fox one...

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 10-28-2013 at 12:11 PM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Stepanek is one of those guys you don't want to see in the first week if you don't have to. Given his current ranking he's probably going to be an ugly first or second round match for someone.

I'm jealous you've gotten to go to the US Open so much. It's still on my list of things to do: night matches in the first week. Watched a lot on television. I remember some classic Aaron Krickstein matches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I tend to forget about Stepanek. I wonder how the field sees him? I agree he can e a dangerous player at times....SNIPPED...
Yep, Stepanek is the definition of a pro journeyman player, of which there are a ton of out there. Ooodles of talent, but never quite out it together besides an occasional deep quarter run. Still, I feel he is for sure one of the guys the top dogs hope to avoid in the first week.

Yeah, I been damm lucky with being around so many Opens. Seen some incredible matches, met some awesome folks [my idol Mac near the USA booth one year during a night rainout on Grandstand...forget Super Saturday and the Finals - best action, purest US Open experience is first week/mid second week, Grandstand squatting all day/night]

My usual sched at Flushing Meadow is first Friday/Saturday day session, then must see night session on Wed or Thursday. Awesome

@afa: Nah, 28 is nearly ancient in men's tennis. I hear ya, and it may be true in other sports, but rarely [I think never really] do you see guys dominating beyond 30 these days. Fed didn't peak too early - he peaked just at the right time - 16 majors, with a couple more to come, I am sure. Not too shabby right? And of course, a helluva claim to GoAT.

He will need to pull out his best tennis now, all the time, hitting 5th gear right from the start of a match instead of how he could cruise to demolition victories [in large part because 90% of the field he faced during those platinum years had already mentally given up the match in the lockeroom against Fed]. That sheen of pure invincibility is severely tarnished now - I don't think Fed has lost his edge as much as the rest of the field has gotten much closer to him.

He will need to play more aggressive, shorter points though IMO and he has to come in a lot more, accepting he's gonna get passed. I think in his "prime" period of dominance, his ego drove him to beat guys down by being better at their own games. Can''t really do that so much anymore, not with the depth and quality of the guys out there.

The guys have smelled blood in the waters for a couple of years now but lately, they have also gotten a taste of the Fed stuff.

We will see.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I guess you have a point. Federer is still excellent, but no longer better than everybody. Nadal and Djokavic, in particular, have long since caught up.

How many Grand Slams does Nadal have now? Like 8 or 9? And he's still in his early twenties. I think he might actually overtake Federer at this rate...
Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
How many Grand Slams does Nadal have now? Like 8 or 9? And he's still in his early twenties. I think he might actually overtake Federer at this rate...
Nadal's got 10 Grand Slam singles titles.

He's 25, so if he starts to fade at about the point Federer seems to have done then he's only got three years to get those additional slams in. His game also puts far more strain on his body than Fed's does on his.

Plus, slams in the next few years are surely going to have to be shared with Djokivic, at least.

Graham
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
afa
The Forgotten

Well, he would have to average 'only' 2 a year to get to 16 at age 28. Seems do-able.

The bigger problem, as you rightly pointed out, is his style of play leaves him more injury-prone than someone like Federer.

Either way, it should be an interesting fight for the record.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love Nadal as well. But I give no real shot to approach Fed's record. His game is simply too physically punishing for him to last as long as he needs to rack up the majors. That is one reason why Fed is where he is as well - he has remained remarkably healthy throughout his career, largely in part due to the smoothness/low impact nature of his game/movement.

But, I have been known to be wrong once or twice...
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
Graham
Wizard

And of course, Federer might just win one or two more.

What's our collective prediction for 3 years from now, with another 17 slams available?

I'll take a stab at it:

Federer retiring on 17 wins... (1 more)

Nadal at 15 (5 more - got to like his chances for a while yet at the French)

Djokovic at 8 (5 more - Wimbledon twice and a 3 more hard courts)

Del Potro at 3 (2 more - he's done it before and could do it again)

Murray at 2 (both on hard courts, I'm an eternal optimist)

Soderling at 1 (he gets so close...)

And one youngster emerging suddenly and splendidly...

Graham
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #24
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow, Nadal and Murray out of the Canadian Open in their first matches. Sure Nadal found someone playing some unbelievable tennis, but Murray just looked rusty.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #25
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Indeed! Murray looked like he forgot who he was and Nadal just got beat, though in 2 tiebreaks which always can be tough.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #26
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Wow, Nadal and Murray out of the Canadian Open in their first matches. Sure Nadal found someone playing some unbelievable tennis, but Murray just looked rusty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Indeed! Murray looked like he forgot who he was and Nadal just got beat, though in 2 tiebreaks which always can be tough.
Sadly, I have to agree.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

@Nyssa: Recall you're a Roddick fan. Sorry about the early exit at Cincinnati. But kinda reinforces my point about Andy pretty much being done as a major threat, sad as it may be to say for Americans.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #28
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Blake beat Baghdatis. That's a pretty big win for him. Maybe it's not all over for American men's tennis? No, wait, it is.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ lolz! Where's Johnny Mac when you need him??!?!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #30
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@Nyssa: Recall you're a Roddick fan. Sorry about the early exit at Cincinnati. But kinda reinforces my point about Andy pretty much being done as a major threat, sad as it may be to say for Americans.
Yeah. I can't believe how he just self destructed last night. We (as in the US) are down to 2 players:

For the Men its Mardy Fish, although Ryan Harrison is trying to make a name for himself. Donald Young is/was supposed to be our up and comer, but he's just not as dedicate as he should be.

For the Woman its still Serena (So very happy about her Rogers Cup win! ). As far as I know Melanie Oudin is our only up and coming female. She went too far too fast and then got slapped back down to earth. Its really a sad state for American tennis.
I love Venus, but I think her championship days are numbered if not over. I really think she's going to retire next year. I know both sisters' main goal was to make it to the 2012 Olympics.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote