Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #31
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevy View Post
hello,
since the update of the cybook
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28805

i forgot to mention that it seems to me that the visual quality of the comics that i have converted with your script, icehand, are reduced.
Any idea ?
Not yet, I'll look into it + the zoom issue mentioned in the other thread.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #32
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

I've fixed the zooming issue (see changelog), but I'm unable to see a reduced image quality. Could you describe how the quality got worse and/or show a screenshot?

By the way, I forgot to add the rotate option, I'll do that later today.

EDIT: To explain the default 83dpi setting: it's half of the real resolution of the Cybook, so setting it to 83dpi will give you the real image size in pixels at 50% zoom. That means the whole page when the image is resized to 600x800 (default), as the Cybook has a resolution of 600x800 at 166dpi. You're then able to use zoom.
Notice however that when zooming in on an image with a 600x800 resolution, you'll notice pixellation as the Cybook needs to resize up. You could set the resolution to e.g. 768x1024, when you know beforehand that you want zooming. However if you do that, the image sharpness when viewing the whole page is a bit worse, because the Cybook needs to resize down.

Last edited by IceHand; 09-06-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #33
IceHand
Linux User

Finally added the option to rotate double pages 90° counter-clockwise or clockwise.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #34
stevy
stevy began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3 512Mo
I converted a picture with the 2 versions of your script and the quality is the same. that's all my fault. i'm reading a serie of comics books and i just realize that i start one number which the scan is darker than usual.
Thanks again for the script and your great quickness
stevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #35
IceHand
Linux User

Ah, I see. So that explains it
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #36
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
mac os x

i love the idea of this piece of software but i cannot use with mac os x because i dont know why the line calling gimp doesnt work. I tried installing Gimp.app but there is no command line...
any mac os x users solved?
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #37
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentium View Post
i love the idea of this piece of software but i cannot use with mac os x because i dont know why the line calling gimp doesnt work. I tried installing Gimp.app but there is no command line...
any mac os x users solved?
Hm, I don't have access to a Mac so I don't know if this will help: try searching for the Gimp executable file and replace in line 216 of the script the word "gimp" with "/PathToExecutable/gimp" (on Linux usually "/usr/bin/gimp").

If that doesn't help: what error message do you get, when you try to run the script?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #38
serpentium
eAddictd

gimp on mac os x....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Hm, I don't have access to a Mac so I don't know if this will help: try searching for the Gimp executable file and replace in line 216 of the script the word "gimp" with "/PathToExecutable/gimp" (on Linux usually "/usr/bin/gimp").

If that doesn't help: what error message do you get, when you try to run the script?
Like you said i found gimp and i changed the script but still some problem with gimp. I have 2.4 in osx and when i run it from command line i obtain
------------------------------------
(gimp-2.4:7356): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-2.4: gimp_wire_read(): error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Multimedia/Grafica/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/foggify.py", line 20, in <module>
from gimpfu import *
File "/Applications/Multimedia/Grafica/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/lib/gimp/2.0/python/gimpfu.py", line 74, in <module>
import gimp
ImportError: could not import pygtk
------------------------------------
so im trying to install and compile from scratch. I dont know why cannot find pygtk because inside the Gimp.app there is.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #39
IceHand
Linux User

Huh, I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong there. Maybe you could try asking in a Mac forum or something like that?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #40
serpentium
eAddictd

i did

Quote:
Huh, I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong there. Maybe you could try asking in a Mac forum or something like that?
I found the first problem was the gimp!!!
So u can say to other user your program works also in a mac!!! They just need a real command line gimp working!
1)Just install mac port and in terminal do port install gimp... it will do everything (maybe something missing u have to do by yourself, but macports will explain how)
2)modify a little bit the script of yours because the convert version of mac imagemagick work sligthly different, so it creates all the time two files when you crop.

I substituted the convert command with just
convert "$i" -gravity West -crop "50%"x"100%" +repage "$PngName.png" 2>>"$ConvMang a/error.log"
and later
convert "$PngName-0.png" -colorspace GRAY -fuzz "15%" -trim +repage -resize "$FinalWidth"x"$FinalHeight" -background "rgb(255,255,255)" -gravity center -extent "$FinalWidth"x"$FinalHeight" "$PngName-0.png" 2>>"$ConvManga/error.log"
convert "$PngName-1.png" -colorspace GRAY -fuzz "15%" -trim +repage -resize "$FinalWidth"x"$FinalHeight" -background "rgb(255,255,255)" -gravity center -extent "$FinalWidth"x"$FinalHeight" "$PngName-1.png" 2>>"$ConvManga/error.log"

for the LTR case or for RTL case
convert "$PngName-0.png" -colorspace GRAY -fuzz "15%" -trim +repage -resize "$FinalWidth"x"$FinalHeight" -background "rgb(255,255,255)" -gravity center -extent "$FinalWidth"x"$FinalHeight" "$PngName-1.png" 2>>"$ConvManga/error.log"
convert "$PngName-1.png" -colorspace GRAY -fuzz "15%" -trim +repage -resize "$FinalWidth"x"$FinalHeight" -background "rgb(255,255,255)" -gravity center -extent "$FinalWidth"x"$FinalHeight" "$PngName-0.png" 2>>"$ConvManga/error.log"

same for jpg, and so on...
if someone needs i can upload the script or whatever u like to do with Your script!

thankyou again for the sw... i m running it now and i love the RESULTS :-)
Old 10-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #41
IceHand
Linux User

Glad to hear that it's working now

Please feel free to upload a Mac version of the script, I would then add it to the first post.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #42
IceHand
Linux User

New version 4.5.1: Fixed a small bug that produced errors with filenames that begin with "-"
Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #43
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
New version 4.5.1: Fixed a small bug that produced errors with filenames that begin with "-"
Just wanted to let you know that you rock yet again. I know some don't get it but this is a huge plus for *nix users. Thanks again.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #44
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Just wanted to let you know that you rock yet again. I know some don't get it but this is a huge plus for *nix users. Thanks again.
You're welcome
Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #45
xOrphenochx
xOrphenochx began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks ALOT IceHand. I too was using JE-Comics and batch jobs SUCKED. I did find one error in your latest version. I am using a mac so I don't know if libtiff might have changed since then, but the -o for output needs to be before the .tif file name or else it won't convert to PDF.
xOrphenochx is offline   Reply With Quote