Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
dondford
dondford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbi needs help

I was running Calibre 0.7.2.4 on my XP computer with my Kindle 3 with no problems. I just got a new Windows 7 complete and installed 0.7.2.4 on it. I configured it the same as my old set-up (I think) but I cannot get it to email my news to my K3; I configured it with the same kindle email address as the old setup. When I ask it to email a news issue it first asks if I want it to auto-convert; my old setup never showed that screen and I am attempting to email the same news sources as before. I click yet and it starts emailing, but it always errors out with a message it is unable to complete the task.
What am I missing?? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

D
dondford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondford View Post
When I ask it to email a news issue it first asks if I want it to auto-convert; my old setup never showed that screen
There are two reasons the auto-convert message might pop up.

1. The news file is in a different format than what is being asked. This can happen because your default setting for preferred output is epub instead of mobi (see attached).
2. Your email is set to send a epub and your trying to send a mobi file (see attached).

Make sure your preferred output is set to mobi so when you download the news it is in the mobi format for your Kindle. Make sure you are set to send mobi in the email section.

Restart calibre and try again and see where you end up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	preferredoutput.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	59970   Click image for larger version

Name:	mail_mobi.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	59971  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-19-2010 at 11:01 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
dondford

Walt:
Thank you for your reply and suggestions:
I have Mobi selected under Preference - Behavior

In Prefercences - Sharing Books by Email; when I select "New Email Address" Mobi and Epub are preselected but when I enter my Kindle address, the formats expand to
AZW, Mobi, TPZ, PRC, AZW1. I cannot edit to show only Mobi. The other formats, besides Mobi, are Kindle formats.

Evertime I attempt to email my Kindle a news issue I get the following Log entry:

ERROR: Failed to email books: Failed to email the following books:

American Thinker [Tue, 19 Oct 2010]

Connection unexpectedly closed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 634, in _send_mails
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 98, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 609, in starttls
File "smtplib.py", line 509, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
File "smtplib.py", line 383, in ehlo
File "smtplib.py", line 340, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Right in the middle of the page under behavior is where you choose the default format, which needs to be mobi. The other section at the bottom is for viewing files.

Also check under the "Sharing Email" under preferences, that there is a check mark next to your kindle's email name (it should show awz, prc, tpz, mobi and tpz1)
cheers

Last edited by Leep; 10-20-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have Mobi selected under Preference - Behavior
Ok this means your news is being formatted in mobi right off the bat as expected.

Quote:
when I enter my Kindle address, the formats expand to AZW, Mobi, TPZ, PRC, AZW1. I cannot edit to show only Mobi. The other formats, besides Mobi, are Kindle formats.
Is it still asking to auto-convert the files?

If it is you can reduce the formats to just mobi by double clicking in the window with all of the formats and removing all but mobi. I suspect though that this shouldn't be needed.

Is your mail setup similar to my previous attached image?
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
dondford

Walt:
The last few tries it did not not ask if I wanted it converted; it attempts to send the news, then stops with the following:

Yes, I setup is exactly like yours. As mentioned, I just updated the firm-ware to the beta 3.0.3, i wonder if this is the problem.
Does Calibre have a Customer Service email address?

Thank you for your help.

D
Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Yes, I setup is exactly like yours. As mentioned, I just updated the firm-ware to the beta 3.0.3, i wonder if this is the problem.
seems unlikely as this problem is happening at the Calibre end before anything is sent to the device.

Quote:
No. Calibre is a (free) open-source product and therefore support is here via the user community.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
This forum is calibre's email address. The creator of calibre is away this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just a heads up, I'm travelling for the rest of of this week, so I won't be as responsive as usual.

For part of the week, I'll be in San Francisco attending the Books in Browsers conference at the Internet Archive, where I'm giving a short talk on using the calibre content server to put books in browsers
I'm sure some Kindle folks who also use Windows 7 will stop by and help you out.

What happens when you use the test email button?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Evertime I attempt to email my Kindle a news issue I get the following Log entry:

Your mail server does not support encrypted connections (SSL or TLS). When calibre asks to switch to encrypted mode, which it will always do, you mail server is hanging up.

The easiest solution is to get a free gmail account and use that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
dondford

Charles:
Thank you for your reply; the email to my Kindle just stopped working all of a sudden. It was working before and I haven't changed email servers. My email server is bellsouth; does Calibre use my email server or its own server? This is all very confushing!

D
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Charles:
Thank you for your reply; the email to my Kindle just stopped working all of a sudden. It was working before and I haven't changed email servers. My email server is bellsouth; does Calibre use my email server or its own server? This is all very confushing!
D
Calibre is an email client. It introduces new messages into the network.

Email clients always deliver mail to email servers. You can use direct delivery, or you can relay. Direct delivery happens when the originating client contacts the destination's server. Relaying happens when the originating client contacts some other server, which then (possibly indirectly) passes the mail to the destination server.

You say that your configuration is just like dwanthny's. That means that you are using a relay. To use a relay successfully, several things must be true.
- You must know the internet name of the mail server.
- The relay must accept encrypted connections (TLS or SSL). This usually means that you must use ports 587 (TLS) or 465 (SSL).
- Your user name must be accepted by the mail server.
- Your password must be accepted by the mail server.
- Your computer must permit calibre to make internet connections on the specified port (windows firewall exceptions).
- Your internet connection must work.

If all of these are true, then an email test (push the test button) will succeed. If any are not true, then the test will not succeed. Thus, we are left with the question that dwanthny asked you -- what happens when you push the test email button?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
dondford:

I also use the new Windows 7 and am having no problems sending periodical subscriptions. However, I did take the recommendation from another post of setting up a gmail account as a mail server just to mitigate potential problems.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
dondford

Charles:
Thank you for your continued help. I have set up the "optional" email server as a gmail account. I am using the exact setting as my regular gmail account that I use often as a back-up to my bellsouth email account:

Hostname: smpt.gmail.com Port:587
Username: dondford
Password: Same password I with gmail
Encryption: TLS

I have sent a bunch of test emails; As far as I can see, nothing happens, no error message, no confirmation the email was sent and no message received on my Kindle.

Where does these "test" emails go? What should happen when I send a test email.

Charles, I really appreciate you and the other guys helping me with problem.

Regards,
Don
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Hostname: smpt.gmail.com Port:587
Username: dondford
Password: Same password I with gmail
Encryption: TLS
I assume you actually have smtp.gmail.com in your settings

Quote:
I have sent a bunch of test emails; As far as I can see, nothing happens, no error message, no confirmation the email was sent and no message received on my Kindle.
You should see a "Mail successfully sent" message returned in the test window (see attached).

Quote:
Where does these "test" emails go? What should happen when I send a test email.
These emails go to the account they were sent to with the subject and message containing "Test mail from calibre." Try sending the test to your bellsouth account.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mailtest.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	60016  
Old 10-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
dondford

Problem solved!!!

Guys:
Thank you all for your help. It is now working fine; from the last setting I posted I changed to SSL and Port 465. I have downloaded and transferred to my Kindle all of my subscribed news with no problem.

Again, THANKS

D