Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
I have emailed News Limited, Kobo and PayPal, so I am hoping my problem will be resolved. Because my husband had had a subscription to The Australian, News Limited had our PayPal account details, but I am appalled that they were able to withdraw money from our account without our authority. When I ordered the book from Kobo, the price did appear as 0.00.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareK View Post
I have emailed News Limited, Kobo and PayPal, so I am hoping my problem will be resolved. Because my husband had had a subscription to The Australian, News Limited had our PayPal account details, but I am appalled that they were able to withdraw money from our account without our authority. When I ordered the book from Kobo, the price did appear as 0.00.
Because the code appears in the printed paper the subscription is irrelevant, it sounds like an issue with the Kobo cart and they are the ones that will have to refund you be clear and persistent with them their support are slow on the uptake but usually come through in the end.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I'm not sure why the News would be involved - other than needing to read the article to see the code (which did not require a subscription for today's code, as I read it there), you don't need them at all. If you do click their link to get to Kobo, they might make a few % points of your purchases (but not this one, since it ends up as zero).

However, it sounds like you have paypal set up with Kobo as a payment source and quickbuy turned on, so you were not able to enter the code.

Or the charge is for something else, perhaps?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
The charge was for the book, and apparently it was paid to News Limited (The Australian newspaper). I didn't have quickbuy turned on, and the amount due according to Kobo was 0.00.

All I can imagine is that, because our subscription to The Australian is not current, either The Australian or else Kobo itself decided we hadn't been entitled to the free book, and took it on themselves to collect payment from our PayPal account. Since we have used this account in the past for both Kobo and News Limited, I don't know which one generated this payment, but I have emailed both of them as well as PayPal itself.

I'm not denying that I was wrong in assuming I was eligible for the free book, but I am amazed that anyone can take take money from our PayPal account without our authorisation, and without even contacting us. I'll let you know when and if this is resolved!
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #20
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareK View Post
The charge was for the book, and apparently it was paid to News Limited (The Australian newspaper). I didn't have quickbuy turned on, and the amount due according to Kobo was 0.00.

All I can imagine is that, because our subscription to The Australian is not current, either The Australian or else Kobo itself decided we hadn't been entitled to the free book, and took it on themselves to collect payment from our PayPal account. Since we have used this account in the past for both Kobo and News Limited, I don't know which one generated this payment, but I have emailed both of them as well as PayPal itself.

I'm not denying that I was wrong in assuming I was eligible for the free book, but I am amazed that anyone can take take money from our PayPal account without our authorisation, and without even contacting us. I'll let you know when and if this is resolved!
You do not need to have an active subscription to The Australian to get the free books.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With thanks to @PB123 from Ozbargains for the promocodes

The Code Book: The Secret History of Codes and Code-breaking
By: Simon Singh
Promocode - SS15600

Struggle for Freedom: Aung San Suu Kyi Biography
By: Jesper Bengtsson
Promocode - JB16700

Air Force: Inside the New Era of Australian Air Power
By: Ian McPhedran
Promocode - IM12300

A Lasting Record
By: Stephen Downes
Promocode - SD13400
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

today's book:

What Would Google Do?
By: Jeff Jarvis

code - JJ09100
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
melmac
Wizard

If anyone is interested in these free books but can not access them as they are not from down under then just send me a PM with your email address and I'll Gift them to you.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
If anyone is interested in these free books but can not access them as they are not from down under then just send me a PM with your email address and I'll Gift them to you.
Remember, you can only gift once per account (from each account one time, in other words).
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
melmac
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Remember, you can only gift once per account (from each account one time, in other words).
Thanks, I am aware of that but I have access to 2 kobo accounts and there's only been one of the books that I've grabbed for myself
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
Mark Allison
Mark Allison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
The Australian Free Books

I have just joined the forum. I have a kindle paperwhite and have no desire to change. As a reader of The Australian I was interested to try the free books which involve getting the Kobo desk top for my Mac. i find that I am unable to import the books into Calibre although they are there to read on the desktop.

Can anyone offer advise please?
Mark Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
Mark Allison
Mark Allison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
The Australian Free Books

I have just joined the forum. I have a kindle paperwhite and have no desire to change. As a reader of The Australian I was interested to try the free books which involve getting the Kobo desk top for my Mac. i find that I am unable to import the books into Calibre although they are there to read on the desktop.

Any advise gratefully received.
Mark Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
jimbler
jimbler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Are you somehow still able to use the code to get the Black Caviar book? I would have loved to have got that. :-(
jimbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #29
melmac
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbler View Post
Are you somehow still able to use the code to get the Black Caviar book? I would have loved to have got that. :-(
Sorry Jimbler that one was for the weekend and has expired
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allison View Post

Any advise gratefully received.
Post this question on the Calibre forum. Someone there should be able to help you.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote