Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-13-2015, 03:39 AM   #136
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The KT is an older Reader than the PW1. The KT is the last eInk Kindle to have audio. What you mean is the Kindle. The one that replaced the basic non-touch Kindle.
No he means the KT, the one with audio. The one he is having. He said specifically older models, which the Kindle with touchscreen and without buttons is not. That Kindle is a current model.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #137
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Is the e-ink version of Bookerly different from the Fire tablet version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Has anyone tried embedding bold Bookerly as the default in a book?
Reply to self. Apparently the new font looks very nice when made heavier on the Kobo.

Last edited by Rizla; 08-13-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #138
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Helvetica is the only stock font I feel is dark enough for me to read comfortably. It's just not a good typeface for long form reading. Hence I load my own.
AFAIK, no one has been able to side-load a kfx file to a device that supports the new typography, and for the new typography to work on that device.

If so, it seems possible that Amazon have implemented a system whereby an Amazon server-side flag must be show that a kfx has been downloaded to a _specific_ device, and that a flag on the device itself reflects the server-side flag. In short, the typography will only work for a kfx downloaded directly to a device from Amazon, and the typography in the kfx file will ONLY work on that device. If you side-load the kfx to another device that supports the new typography, the new formatting will not show. You must go via the Amazon content servers.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #139
Rizla
Member Retired

Deleted.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #140
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The KT is an older Reader than the PW1. The KT is the last eInk Kindle to have audio. What you mean is the Kindle. The one that replaced the basic non-touch Kindle.
Um, no...
I very carefully described how my statement targeted the older ereaders, ranging from the K3 to the KT. Why would I mean the KT2, a current ereader?
Especially in context, as I am postulating on which readers will not get updated for KFX. As the KT2 has already received that update, it would be extremely illogical to refer to the KT2
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #141
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
AFAIK, no one has been able to side-load a kfx file to a device that supports the new typography, and for the new typography to work on that device.

If so, it seems possible that Amazon have implemented a system whereby an Amazon server-side flag must be show that a kfx has been downloaded to a _specific_ device, and that a flag on the device itself reflects the server-side flag. In short, the typography will only work for a kfx downloaded directly to a device from Amazon, and the typography in the kfx file will ONLY work on that device. If you side-load the kfx to another device that supports the new typography, the new formatting will not show. You must go via the Amazon content servers.
I am not aware of anyone trying it yet, though. Unless it has been attempted and failed, we are existing in a total lack of any evidence whatsoever, and it would be unwise to jump to conclusions based on sheer pessimism.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #142
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Let's be honest though, apart from the fi in 'fick off', does anyone really notice any difference? Feeling kinda disappointed!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #143
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have seen a couple of the new books that have the enhancements enabled and they do look great to me. But I have to say also that ebooks that I email to my device also looks much better than before the update.

It seems to me that some on here are looking for way more of an improvement than I am and I can see more improvement than I was expecting.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #144
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I am not aware of anyone trying it yet, though. Unless it has been attempted and failed, we are existing in a total lack of any evidence whatsoever, and it would be unwise to jump to conclusions based on sheer pessimism.
I think I read somewhere someone had tried it. Maybe on the digital reader.

Someone with two devices with the new FW please try this: Download a book with enhanced options from Amazon, then sideload it to your second device. Do you still see the enhance typography?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #145
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Ok...I just tested with a DRM free book that is in the .kfx format, and I was able to transfer the book from my Voyage to my pw3 and have it transfer correctly. I had to move both the .kfx file and the .sdr folder associated with the book.

There were a couple of files that were not able to transfer. The error given was that the filename was too long. (This is using Win 8.1) Those files being missing didn't affect the functioning of the book, at least not as far as I could tell. Hyphenation still works, and the enhanced spacing at larger font sizes works too. I can't judge the kerning and other stuff, as I really can't see that.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #146
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks - that's good to know.

The difficulty as far as using Calibre is concerned is of course the fact that a kfx book has content split across multiple files, and Calibre isn't set up to handle that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #147
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks - that's good to know.

The difficulty as far as using Calibre is concerned is of course the fact that a kfx book has content split across multiple files, and Calibre isn't set up to handle that.
Would that even make a difference seeing that you do not get a kfx file when you down load to Kindle for PC
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #148
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Would that even make a difference seeing that you do not get a kfx file when you down load to Kindle for PC
It would make a difference only if you wished to store kfx files, obtained from a device which supports them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #149
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Ok...I just tested with a DRM free book that is in the .kfx format, and I was able to transfer the book from my Voyage to my pw3 and have it transfer correctly. I had to move both the .kfx file and the .sdr folder associated with the book.

There were a couple of files that were not able to transfer. The error given was that the filename was too long. (This is using Win 8.1) Those files being missing didn't affect the functioning of the book, at least not as far as I could tell. Hyphenation still works, and the enhanced spacing at larger font sizes works too. I can't judge the kerning and other stuff, as I really can't see that.

Shari
That is EXCELLENT news -- it means initial fears that all books were being DRMed were jumping to conclusions.

Reposting this to another KFX thread.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #150
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I had tried importing the book to Calibre directly from my Kindle, and that didn't work because Calibre doesn't recognize the .kfx format yet.

Hopefully at some point Calibre will be able to recognize these books and import them.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote