Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 03:48 AM   #1
Steven630
Groupie
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
Line-height of mobi not honoured by Kindle?

I used Calibre to convert an AZW3 file into mobi, with extra CSS
Code:
p {  line-height: 1.718em }
to change the line-height and chose "both" as the output file type.

I sent the file to my amazon email address. The file was delivered to my Kindle, but the line-height did not change.

When I chose "old" as the output, the line-height did not change.
When I chose "new", the file could not be delivered via email.
When I converted it into AZW3 and loaded it onto my kindle since Amazon email does not recognize AZW3, it worked.

But if I

1. use Kindle Unpack to unpack the same AZW3 file
2. change the line-height in the CSS file
3. use KindleGen to generate a mobi file (select the opf file and pack up)
4. send this mobi file to my Amazon email address

I get the file and the line-height is what I want.

They are both mobi files, why the one converted by Calibre and sent to Amazon via email does not work?

I guess there must be something with Amazon cloud that somehow "corrupted" the file. But why wasn't the file generated by KindleGen "corrupted"?

This problem has existed for a long time. Thank you so much.

Last edited by Steven630; 05-14-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Kindlegen is not producing a MOBI file it is producing an joint kf8/mobi7 file. You want to do that in calibre use the appropriate option int he MOBI Output section of the conversion dialog.

The MOBI format, more precisely the old MOBI 7 format has no support for CSS *at all*. It is based on HTML 3.2
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
WHY?
AZW3 works with all K4 and onward
and AZW3 gives you the CSS control you crave.

Is it because you wish to use their Wireless delivery?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
Steven630
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Kindlegen is not producing a MOBI file it is producing an joint kf8/mobi7 file. You want to do that in calibre use the appropriate option int he MOBI Output section of the conversion dialog.

The MOBI format, more precisely the old MOBI 7 format has no support for CSS *at all*. It is based on HTML 3.2
Thank you for your reply. Isn't a "both" type mobi produced by Calibre a joint kf8/mobi7 file as well? But Calibre-produced file just doesn't work when it comes to line height. How can I have a file whose line-height can be honoured by Kindle AND deliverable through email?

If Kindlegen can produce such a file, surely Calibre can do that too?

Last edited by Steven630; 05-16-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
Steven630
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
WHY?
AZW3 works with all K4 and onward
and AZW3 gives you the CSS control you crave.

Is it because you wish to use their Wireless delivery?
Yes, I want to use the wireless delivery. Of course AZW3 is the best option. Alas, Amazon's delivery service does not support AZW3.

I also wish to change the line-height of RSS files fetched by Calibre. It would be nice if Calibre can produce a file like one by Kindlegen.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:06 AM   #6
Steven630
Groupie

With the latest version, if I change minimum line height to more than 120%, the effect can be seen with a "both" mobi file delivered wirelessly to Kindle. Don't know the reason.

Update: This was a fluke. See #8.

Last edited by Steven630; 01-03-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindle's do not respect line heights of less than 1.2em.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Steven630
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven630 View Post
With the latest version, if I change minimum line height to more than 120%, the effect can be seen with a "both" mobi file delivered wirelessly to Kindle. Don't know the reason.
Well, several other files failed the test. The one that succeeded was just out of luck.

If I convert an azw3 to mobi using both Kindlegen and Calibre (both-type mobi for Calibre) and deliver them wirelessly to my Kindle. The one produced by Kindlegen has proper line height. The one produced by Calibre does not.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Steven630
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindle's do not respect line heights of less than 1.2em.
I set line height to 1.5
Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you aren't seeing line height then you are not using a both type mobi file.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:41 PM   #11
Steven630
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you aren't seeing line height then you are not using a both type mobi file.
I am using a both type. I've tried many times and most attempts failed, with the exception of #6.

Since the file is delivered with Amazon's wireless delivery service. I guess that somehow Amazon Cloud corrupted the file generated by Calibre.

But files generated by Kindlegen works fine.

Just wonder if Calibre can generate a both type mobi similar to Kindlegen (can be delivered wirelessly and still honors line height).