Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Recommending other August BC nomination

Quick thank you to Pilotbob for nominating Ëye of the Needle by Ken Follett. It is so good I can't put it down to get some work done! One of those books that makes me wish I could write.

I have read good reviews of The Pillars of Earth but never bothered to buy it. Dunno why...guess I will now.
thx, Bob.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I read the book when it first came out in paperback back in the early 80s. It's a great thriller. The movie was good too, though Donald Sutherland was not at all how I pictured "Die Nadel."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I can't picture Sutherland as Die Nadel either, but then I can't think off hand of anyone else. Maybe Rod Stieger if he were thinner. Bob Mitchem? You can tell how long it's been since I've been to the movies!

I just saw that Eye of the Needle is listed as 21 on NPR's "Killer-Thriller" poll: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...cc=bn-20100805
Myself I would rate it way above The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Not a diehard thriller fan/expert and I've not read most on the list but I'm sure there are others I would rate in the top 10 over it.

It's an interesting list and there are several on there that I am going to see if I can find in eBook form.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I can't picture Sutherland as Die Nadel either, but then I can't think off hand of anyone else. Maybe Rod Stieger if he were thinner. Bob Mitchem? You can tell how long it's been since I've been to the movies!

I just saw that Eye of the Needle is listed as 21 on NPR's "Killer-Thriller" poll: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...cc=bn-20100805
Myself I would rate it way above The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Not a diehard thriller fan/expert and I've not read most on the list but I'm sure there are others I would rate in the top 10 over it.

It's an interesting list and there are several on there that I am going to see if I can find in eBook form.
d

That is a good list, although I agree with the author of the article that some of those books don't qualify as thrillers by my definition. It looks like I've only read about 30 of them, although I know the stories of another 10 or 15 because movies have been made of them. I remember really being caught up in "Marathon Man," by William Goldman. In fact, when a task ends up being ridiculously easy to complete, my sister and I will look at one another and say, "Babe was candy." The movie was pretty good, but the book was better.

(Oh, and "Magic," by William Goldman? I was so terrified and creeped out by that one that I've had to wipe it from my memory.)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Quick thank you to Pilotbob for nominating Ëye of the Needle by Ken Follett. It is so good I can't put it down to get some work done! One of those books that makes me wish I could write.

I have read good reviews of The Pillars of Earth but never bothered to buy it. Dunno why...guess I will now.
thx, Bob.
d
Eye of the Needle will probably be my next purchase as both my hubby and I are throughly enjoying Pillars of the Earth and then watching the Starz mini-series. He's reading it on my laptop with Kindle app since his K3 is on order. At first he was resistent to gift of K3, now he is asking "when when my Kindle get here?" LOL Yep, got him hooked!!!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert