Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Smollett
Smollett began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using PRS-505 on more than one computer?

Hi all. Some advice please for a UK resident. We do not have access to the Sony Ebook store here - we are directed towards our UK retailer by the Sony ereader programme. If however I download the Sony ereader software and say I am in the USA while using a different computer I can ( in theory of course....) gain access.
It may not be possible for me to spend real money there with billing usually needing a US credit card, but the occasional freebie from Sony can be downloaded and viewed on this 2nd computer.
If I were to plug in my 505 which is registered to the PC linked to my UK account what will happen? Can that ereader be authorized to more than one computer at a time? I don't want to try it in case it all goes horribly wrong but I supect someone out there knows be answer.
Thanks for the help
Smollett
Smollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Smollett

Sorry - posted in wrong forum by the looks of it. Can one of the mods please move to the 505 one for me?
Not a great start to my time here....
Smollett
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
You're Sony Readers are registered to a Sony eConnect account not the computers. Well, actually you can register up to 6 devices to the Sony econnect store. One has to be the computer that you use to d/l the books and the other is the reader you read on. You can register up to 6 devices.

Right now I have 2 computers and 4 readers registered to my account. Many people have more than one computer in their household plus one at work, so it doesn't have to be from the same computer, you just have to register that computer to your Sony account.

Last edited by SolRaven; 11-03-2009 at 03:50 AM.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
Smollett

Thank you SolRaven but maybe I wasn't clear enough. I realise one account can have up to 6 different devices registered with it. However can one reader be registered on 2 different accounts at the same time? That is an entirely different situation and one I cannot find the answer to. If that is allowed can I run to different version of the Sony ereader software on one computer? One registered to me in the UK and the other thnking I am in the US?
Thanks for any help
Smollett
Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smollett View Post
Thank you SolRaven but maybe I wasn't clear enough. I realise one account can have up to 6 different devices registered with it. However can one reader be registered on 2 different accounts at the same time? That is an entirely different situation and one I cannot find the answer to. If that is allowed can I run to different version of the Sony ereader software on one computer? One registered to me in the UK and the other thnking I am in the US?
Thanks for any help
Smollett
Hmmm... that is a good question. If the UK & US account are totally different, I would be surprised if they cross referenced reading devices. And if they did, what would be the benefit to Sony to block this? I'd call them and ask. Can't hurt.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Just use the US software/set your location as the US - The only difference is that the UK software redirects you to the Waterstones web site using your browser, while the US one will let you access the Sony Store, so you lose nothing by using the US software, just gaining access to the store.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
Smollett

Thanks for both those answers.
Smollett
Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Smollett

Boy do I feel stupid! It was indeed as simple as changing preferences so my location goes between UK and USA within the ereader software. Doing that I can download the free books Sony give away without any problem. I did create the account using a gmail one rather than an obviously UK based one though. Probably paranoid but it works. Turns out my local library has one of the best stocks of ebooks in the UK as well so I am sorted! Thanks again
Smollett