Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
double trouble

My NAEB Bookeen Cybook froze. When I tried to reset, the e-ink flowed over 2/3 of the screen. It will not shut off. I attempted to re-charge it and again re-set without success. I am attaching a picture of the problem. What can I do to get it working again?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e-ink.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	38362  
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
My NAEB Bookeen Cybook froze. When I tried to reset, the e-ink flowed over 2/3 of the screen. It will not shut off. I attempted to re-charge it and again re-set without success. I am attaching a picture of the problem. What can I do to get it working again?
It's broken. You need to have the display replaced so you need to get a return authorization from Bookeen.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Like derek said, the screen is broken, and given the nature of the eInk screen, even if you reset/shutdown it the display will stay the same (it will not blank when you unplug the battery for exemple, and that's true for even a non broken screen)

You screen is here broken without any doubt. Send a mail to support at bookeen dot com, they will answer you what to do...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As the others said, it's a broken screen. That is, the glass substrate has broken. The two curved lines radiating from a spot on the right hand side are unmistakable. (If it's the controller, rather than the screen, any areas are invariably rectilinear.)

To repair it it must be returned to Bookeen, and you'll need to contact Bookeen first to get a returned mechandise authorisation number (RMA).

It may turn out that the cost of postage and repair is more than it's worth. See what Bookeen say.

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed with the previous posters; that's an absolutely classic picture of a broken screen substrate, I'm afraid. Did you drop it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed with the previous posters; that's an absolutely classic picture of a broken screen substrate, I'm afraid. Did you drop it?
No, I had the Cybook in my coat side pocket while walking. The Cybook was on and open to the page I had been reading about 15 min. earlier. (I use a 30 min. shut off.) When I sat down & took it out to continue reading, the page would not turn. I had tried re-flash. When I got home, I tried both charging & removing the battery. Nothing worked.

Thank you all. I've e-mailed Bookeen with the picture and the problem. If they don't acknowledge my e-mail in a couple of days, I attempt to phone them.

Susan
Old 11-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
It's broken. You need to have the display replaced so you need to get a return authorization from Bookeen.

Derek
Wow! I already have the Return Merchandise Authorization from Bookeen. They seem to have improved Customer Service response time. They will charge 100€ + parts. Bookeen said to ship the package using the carrier of my choice. Which delivery service do you recommend I use to send the Cybook to France?

Susan
Old 11-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The e-mail from Bookeen Support (support@bookeen.com) stated:
Madam,
The backplane of your display is seemingly broken; fractures radiate on the screen. This could be due to a shock or a pressure.
We invite you to send us your device. Our technicians will then be able to determine the exact nature of the issue.

For your own information, broken parts are not covered by the warranty.
If you wish and if needed, we can propose a display replacement.
This operation costs 100€ (parts and VAT included) + shipping.
When I sat down after my walk, the cybook in my side pocket was pressed against the side of the chair. That probably caused the damage.

Susan
Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow! I already have the Return Merchandise Authorization from Bookeen. They seem to have improved Customer Service response time. They will charge 100€ + parts. Bookeen said to ship the package using the carrier of my choice. Which delivery service do you recommend I use to send the Cybook to France?

Susan
I would send it US Priority Mail International. It weighs about 2-2.5 pounds in a box big enough to hold the retail box it came in and that should run between $35-$45. Priority mail will take about 5-7 days to get there from New Jersey, of which, 3-5 days will be just dinking around the Paris post offices.

Derek
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
I would send it US Priority Mail International. It weighs about 2-2.5 pounds in a box big enough to hold the retail box it came in and that should run between $35-$45. Priority mail will take about 5-7 days to get there from New Jersey, of which, 3-5 days will be just dinking around the Paris post offices.

Derek
Thank you, Derek!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
.... and if you are lucky Sue, they will probably just replace it with a nice spanking new one .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:

Derek
€ 100 = $ 150, and 2 times shipping makes $ 230,--

I would recommend you just to buy a new one, that's cheaper and faster.

I believe Derek is selling his old ones, maybe that's even a better idea
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I don't know which "old" it is, but if you have a newer one, you may not want to get an older one...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post

This is true. But I'm hoping to get $250 out of mine. Sigh.

Derek
Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post

If I send it, I'd want my broken SD slot also fixed. Bookeen just sent me this revised estimate:
Madam,

If the SD slot appears to be broken, as your device is not covered by the warranty anymore, the total cost for the repair will be: 195€ (100€ for the display replacement + 70€ for the SD slot + 25€ for the shipping costs).
195€ = $250 add on $80 for 2-way shipping = It's not worth repairing!

I like the variety of ebook formats Cybook supports (.prc, .pdb, .html, .rtf, .mobi, and .txt). Can you suggest a less expensive replacement?