Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
pennyletters
pennyletters began at the beginning.

Device: none
Loading own files on an Ebook

Hi all,

I would be grateful for some advice from someone more technically minded than I am.

I want to buy an Ebook Reader. In addition to downloading 'protected' ebooks from a reputable supplier (I fully support anti-piracy measures), I also want to create my own files on my laptop computer and download them on to an Ebook Reader (I write short stories, etc, and this would be an ideal for me to be able to store and read them on a portable Ebook Reader). I have asked retail suppliers of Ebooks if this is possible, and their response is that Ebook manufacturers provide only very limited product advice to retail sales outlets; hence they could not tell me whether I could create my own written files and download/read them on an Ebook.

Is this possible, please: has anybody done this and, if so, how straightforward is this?

I am in the UK.

Thanks,
Gary
pennyletters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Welcome to MR, Gary.

The answer to your question depends on what format you use when writing your short stories and what type of ebook device you plan to buy. Some of the ebook devices available read straight text files or RTF files. Most favour a particular format, such as EPUB, Mobipocket or PDF. Your files can probably be converted to one of these type with one of the many software programs discussed in these forums (such as Calibre).

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 08-22-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
The MR "Supported Formats Matrix" can tell you which file formats are supported on which readers.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
pennyletters

Hi Moe,

Thanks for the advice. As you can gather, I've not yet decided which Ebook Reader to buy, although I have a leaning towards a Sony. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but what limited advice I have been given, by a salesman, is that the software you install on an Ebook Reader is deliberately written to restrict downloading to legitimate products, and that if the software does not recognise anything you are attempting to download, it will reject your efforts. Hence, I am concerned that in creating my own files; in pdf, or whatever; the software will reject my attempts to install my own files on the Reader. This is a concern for me, because it would restrict the usage I could, and want to, make of an Ebook Reader.

What I ought to have asked, as well, in my first posting, is if anyone can specifically recommend a Reader; Sony; or any other, which will comfortably allow me to download my own files without too much technical fiddling?

Thanks, again.

Gary
Old 08-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyletters View Post
Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but what limited advice I have been given, by a salesman, is that the software you install on an Ebook Reader is deliberately written to restrict downloading to legitimate products, and that if the software does not recognise anything you are attempting to download, it will reject your efforts. Hence, I am concerned that in creating my own files; in pdf, or whatever; the software will reject my attempts to install my own files on the Reader. This is a concern for me, because it would restrict the usage I could, and want to, make of an Ebook Reader.
That is incorrect. A reader which supports DRM allows protected books to be read if they are "tied to" your reader (i.e. if you bought them). However, unprotected documents, such as your own, are perfectly useable!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I have put my own files onto both my Sony PRS-505 and my Kindle. I have not heard of a "mainstream" eBook reader which prevents you from putting your own content onto the reader.

Welcome to MobileRead. Our own HarryT may have some suggestions for a reader available to you in the UK. Certainly Sony is a major brand available from UK dealers.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
pennyletters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I have put my own files onto both my Sony PRS-505 and my Kindle. I have not heard of a "mainstream" eBook reader which prevents you from putting your own content onto the reader.

Welcome to MobileRead. Our own HarryT may have some suggestions for a reader available to you in the UK. Certainly Sony is a major brand available from UK dealers.
I am really grateful to you and Alfons for your information. I sympathise with sales people who are not given enough 'product' information by manufacturers to answer, what I don't believe are unreasonable questions, like mine but, thankfully, there are sites like this one, and helpful contributors who can point innocents like me in the right direction.

I will be making further enquiries about the Sony Reader which, I notice, the Lewis's department chain has reduced to £149 in the UK.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
We've been discussing importing info for all sorts of various reasons...check out this thread:

Another use for E-Reader??? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53083
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
pennyletters

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
We've been discussing importing info for all sorts of various reasons...check out this thread:

Another use for E-Reader??? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53083
This is really helpful. Thank you! I've visited the thread and read your posts and the replies it elicited. I know about Open Office Writer, and that you can manipulate the format of any text you produce and, for me, this seems to be the way in to producing my own files for transfer on to an Ebook Reader.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyletters View Post
Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but what limited advice I have been given, by a salesman, is that the software you install on an Ebook Reader is deliberately written to restrict downloading to legitimate products, and that if the software does not recognise anything you are attempting to download, it will reject your efforts.
This is utter nonsense. It is very easy to create your own eBooks in any popular format, and to load them onto the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
I have a Sony 505, and use it partly to store my lectures; these are documents in .word, .txt, and .rtf formats. I can transfer them either through the Sony software (if I use a PC) or by dragging directly or using Calibre on my Mac.

Hope this helps!
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote