Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Mac Sidewinder
Mac Sidewinder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Slow to use?

I love the program and it seems to work fine but I was wondering why it seems so slow on my computer? I have a duo core 3 ghz with 4gb memory so that shouldn't be the issue.

For example when I select some text and change the header style it takes 6 to 8 seconds to make the change. Also takes around that amount of time to add or delete any text. Is this normal or do I have something wrong?

Mac

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-05-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: moved to a new thread
Mac Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Sidewinder View Post
I love the program and it seems to work fine but I was wondering why it seems so slow on my computer? I have a duo core 3 ghz with 4gb memory so that shouldn't be the issue.

For example when I select some text and change the header style it takes 6 to 8 seconds to make the change. Also takes around that amount of time to add or delete any text. Is this normal or do I have something wrong?

Mac
This is not normal. I don't know what would be causing it. Please provide more information, like your operating system at least.

Sigil 0.1.1 should be uploaded today, so try it and see if it fixes your issue.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Mac Sidewinder

Great, I will try the new version when I get off work. Should the response be like any regular word processor type program (such as word)? I can scroll, highlight fine but when I go to make any edits, each change (and even typing) takes from 5 to 8 seconds per keystroke.

I'll download the new one and let you know what happens. I will also provide all the information about what platform I am running it on. Thanks again

Mac
Old 08-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Should the response be like any regular word processor type program (such as word)?
Yes, it should.

Quote:
I can scroll, highlight fine but when I go to make any edits, each change (and even typing) takes from 5 to 8 seconds per keystroke.
That's horrible and completely unorthodox.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
Mac Sidewinder

Well I installed the new version and it seems to be more responsive. I can type (adding text) and it instantly responds. But if I highlight some text and then change the heading class it seems to take 3 or 4 seconds to make the change. If I delete some text the same thing happens. All else seems to be fine though. Here is what I am running it on:

Dell XPS 720
3ghz Duo Core
4gb memory
nVidia 8800gt 512mb
Maxtor 1tb Hard drive 7200rpm

So you see the system should be pretty fast. Any ideas why it would lag when I delete text or change heading class?

Mac
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
I will also provide all the information about what platform I am running it on.
Quote:
Dell XPS 720
3ghz Duo Core
4gb memory
nVidia 8800gt 512mb
Maxtor 1tb Hard drive 7200rpm
So, is it Windows? Mac OS X? Some distribution of Linux?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
So, is it Windows? Mac OS X? Some distribution of Linux?
Yes, that would be the most basic of information. I'd certainly like to know.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Sigil is running (pretty fluently, I might add) on my Acer Aspire One (netbook with Atom processor and one gig of RAM, Win XP) without a problem. o speed issues, so far. So I am quite perplexed by your problem.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Mac Sidewinder

Sorry about that - I am running Windows Vista.

For example it will run slow for me when:

1. I am in the middle of a line and I press the delete key to delete a single letter or space. It will take 2 to 3 seconds to delete the character. Same thing happens if I hit the enter key in the middle of a sentence to insert a hard return. But if I type to insert characters it responds immediately like a regular word processor.

OR

2. After I have highlighted a couple words and select a different heading class it takes 2 to 3 seconds to change.

During these 2 or 3 seconds I can't my cursor disappears and I can't navigate through the document. I have to wait.

Just wondering if anybody else was having the same problem. Since I changed to the new build the waiting time mentioned above did drop from 5 - 6 seconds to the 2 - 3 seconds I am having right now.

Mac
Old 08-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Valloric

I have no idea what is causing this. It's very bizarre, and you're the only user so far who has reported it. It could be something with your system. Try installing new drivers and such.

Quote:
1. I am in the middle of a line and I press the delete key to delete a single letter or space. It will take 2 to 3 seconds to delete the character. Same thing happens if I hit the enter key in the middle of a sentence to insert a hard return. But if I type to insert characters it responds immediately like a regular word processor.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. At first I thought maybe it's something with view buffer synchronization, but then you would not be able to type without problems: any kind of editing operation would be affected. The fact that you can write text fine, but are having problems with deleting characters is... well I have no idea what to call it.

Quote:
Since I changed to the new build the waiting time mentioned above did drop from 5 - 6 seconds to the 2 - 3 seconds I am having right now.
That too is bizarre. There were no changes between 0.1.0 and 0.1.1 that should have anything to do with performance, not even remotely.

I'm sorry but I don't know how to help you.

Aside from the lame "update drivers" advice, I'm out. Try disabling anti-virus software and any other background service and see if that makes any difference.