Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Plastic Logic Reader priced to compete with Kindle 2

From Teleread:

Quote:
But now the Times in the U.K.—a partner of Plastic Logic—is saying launch of the Plastic Logic e-reader in the States will be in at the start of 2010.

Price is to be similar to the Kindle’s, now selling for $299. UK launch is to follow later that year or the next.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If this is true and the hardware/software is good, this could be a killer at that price.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
price can be changed as soon as they produce it. I remember ASTAK promised 5" eBook reader for $159 one year ago but sell it for $229 now...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I wonder if they mixed up kindle 2 and kindle dx. I bet it will be priced more closely to the dx.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
UK launch is to follow later that year or the next.
So, the UK will get a year old device for the same price as the US got the new one...
I'll never understand why they insist on not launching a device at the same time everywhere...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I read somewhere the queen tests the devices for a year so before they are released to the general public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, the UK will get a year old device for the same price as the US got the new one...
I'll never understand why they insist on not launching a device at the same time everywhere...
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
At least the UK stands some chance of getting the thing. It looks nifty but I won't be holding my breath for an Australian launch.

I'd imagine part of the slow-rollout approach to releasing new products will be to do with production and distribution capacity.
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcleod View Post
At least the UK stands some chance of getting the thing. It looks nifty but I won't be holding my breath for an Australian launch.

I'd imagine part of the slow-rollout approach to releasing new products will be to do with production and distribution capacity.
I'm not holding my breath for a mainland European launch either...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
This is one of those instances where it helps to go to the source article:
"The Plastic Logic will be launched in the US at the beginning of next year at a similar price to the Kindle, which starts at $299."

Since we know the Plastic Logic reader is comparable to the DX, it makes sense that the price would be similar to the DX model, not the Kindle 2 (which is the model that "starts at $299"). So basically they're saying the price is expected to be in the ~$500ish range. As someone else already pointed out, the "expected to be" prices tend to be on the low side, so I won't be surprised if it's closer to $550 or $600 when it actually is released. That is unless they offer some sort of partnership discount with it (a la "buy a year of the NYTimes and get it for $450"). Of course, this is all just speculation on my part. But I like to speculate.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
So basically they're saying the price is expected to be in the ~$500ish range. As someone else already pointed out, the "expected to be" prices tend to be on the low side, so I won't be surprised if it's closer to $550 or $600 when it actually is released.
I agree. My reading of the article is that the Plastic Logic representative said "similar price to the Kindle" (meaning the Kindle DX) and the reporter added "which starts at $299" (meaning the Kindle 2). I also would not be surprised at a ~$600 price, but that is still significantly less then they probably planned on earlier this year. The iRex DR1000S (with less capable hardware) is currently $859. If they are planing on a ~$500 price point, then they must also be planning on at least hundreds of thousands of units per year. That may be realistic, given strong interest from newspapers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does make more sense if they are talking about the DX but it could be K2. Though *we* all call it "Kindle 2", Amazon just calls it Kindle (and Kindle [1st Generation] and Kindle DX). It would not have been difficult to add the DX after Kindle and quote the correct DX price.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
If Plastic Logic can afford to put out a device with an 8.5" x 11" touch screen and wi-fi for $300, I'm going to take a wild guess that all other e-book reader manufacturers will be able to more or less match them. PL only makes revenue off the devices, and I can't imagine them manufacturing (let alone selling) enough to get a better volume discount on the screens or other components than Sony or Amazon.

I.e. I'll wait for an official announcement rather than treat the speculations of a newspaper article as "factual."
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Any chance they meant 299 Pounds in the article and not 299 Dollars?
That would make it closer to the KindleDX price + VAT.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

There is an update to this saga from ireaderreview.

Quote:
There have been some reports that implied Plastic Logic had announced their price, Plastic Logic has not announced pricing for the product and does not plan to until launch in January 2010.

I can tell you that we plan to be competitive in the eReader category, where prices now range from $199 to $800. But we won’t be at the low end of the market. That’s because we’re providing business professionals with some of the industry’s most advanced technologies, including our large plastic screen, ultra-thin and lightweight form factor that offers users a digital reading experience unlike any other.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
As I recall one of the original claims with the plastic substrate technology is that it was going to make the screens a lot cheaper to manufacture than the current glass based ones. If this is the case than I wouldn't rule out the possibility that their device will at least be less than others with similar sized eInk displays.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote