Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
nas_matko
nas_matko began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Page size

How to set up proper page size in epub format?

I am experiencing this:

increasing base font size to 22pt (in calibre) is cousing sony psr-505 to interpret one page over two or even three and page breaks are quite often in the middle of screen, which means half screen is empty.

Page count is then showing e.g. 300 pages, but you need to turn page 2 or 3 times to get onto page 2 etc.

How to set larger font and yet get proper formated pages?
nas_matko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Straight from the horse's mouth:
EPUB Best Practices Guide

Check out chapter "Adobe Extensions", section "Synthetic page names".
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
nas_matko

Thank you for the link.

However it's bit too theoretical, what I am looking for is some step by step guide how to prepare epub document readable on Sony psr-505 form source text. And of course some software preferably freeware to do it with.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas_matko View Post
Thank you for the link.

However it's bit too theoretical, what I am looking for is some step by step guide how to prepare epub document readable on Sony psr-505 form source text. And of course some software preferably freeware to do it with.
That chapter described a decision made by Adobe when they implemented ePub in ADE.

The "page", unless you have that proprietary page map resource, is a chunk of data, a predetermined number of characters. The bigger the font, the more screenfulls of text will it take to display such a "page". The start of that "page" is marked by the page number on right side of the screen, the "feature" that is almost universally disliked on this forum (do a search).

For most of us who don't want to use that proprietary Adobe extension, our ePub's behave the way you described it. I am unaware of any tools that can automate creation of page map resource (Adobe Insight, maybe?).

From what I know, the page map resource is the only way how you can control the page size on ADE. That chapter in the book is the only (and too short, if you ask me) description of that feature.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I set the base font to 14pt in Calibre but in the css override box I have this entered as well..

p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom:0pt;padding:0pt; text-indent:15pt; font-size: 12.5pt}
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
nas_matko

Ankh,

thank you for yur explanation. It sounds ironic that in the format designed for mobile devices you can't create "unpaged" text that will only be formatted on the device based on actual device screen. (as it is for example in lit format).

And in pdf which is supposed to maintain all aspect of document as created by owner I am able to format it precisesly for my reader screen. However it's a bit labourous.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Hajo
Connoisseur
Hajo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Hajo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Hajo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Hajo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N81 8GB, COOL-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas_matko View Post
It sounds ironic that in the format designed for mobile devices you can't create "unpaged" text that will only be formatted on the device based on actual device screen. (as it is for example in lit format).
That is exactly how ePUB works. If you encounter page breaks at fix positions within the text, and not just at, for example, at the end of a section, these page breaks are most probably coded in the document and not an inherent part of the ePUB format for itself.
Hajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
nas_matko

Well that would be logical IF I have created those page breaks. But I took unpaged text in txt format, converted it using calibre and I am still getting page breaks in the middle of the screen.