Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast
rachaelandrews doesn't litterrachaelandrews doesn't litter

Device: iLiad Second Edition
Port of any audio recording programs - done or even possible ?

Hi iLiad developer types,

First let me say I am a new iLiad owner, and currently absolutely loving the third party apps people have worked so hard to bring to the iLiad. FBReader and dillo were one of the first things I fed my iLiad after getting shell access.
Secondly - I'm not developer. I have diddly squat programming experience nor am are ever likely to - my brain just doesn't work that way (I can edit html and java script after a fashion but that's as far as I go !) So my musings / requests in this post are just for kicks to see if anyone has done such a thing, or thinks it can be done, and would be up for giving it a go. I see there are some porting addicts here , so - let me chuck this one in to the ring and see how you guys feel about it.

(If this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing, please kick me out with a stern warning not to darken the door again - but an indicator as to where to ask as you do would be great too.)

One of the reasons I got the iLiad was to try and cut down on the amount of electronic cack I take around with me when I go places. I can do rudimentary browsing with dillo as long as I can get wifi (and I'm about to give the email doobry I found here a while back a spin too), and I can take notes with the stylus. I can play mp3s if I want to (on the 'to try' list too). And of course I can view text files and pdfs should I want to and make notes on pdfs.
One of the occasions when I would want to view pdfs and make notes on them is at rehearsals for a singing group I belong to. We are all severely visually impaired, so often we don't have lyrics or music, but sometimes I like to find the lyrics on the net and print 'em out in a huge font for me, as I have short term memory problems which mean I am rubbish at learning song words. Currently I can't read braille at any speed so this luckily still works for me.
On the iLiad I expect to be able to display the lyrics in a huge bad boy font as large as I pretty much like (which for reading is just heaven !) and make notes in the margins to myself, which will help when I am rehearsing at home.
The other electronica I take with me to the workshops is an Olympus digital dictation / personal recorder thingy. This thing is about as vi friendly as a poke in the eye and eats batteries like they're going out of fashion. And as it records in some obscure format I have to perform an odd conversion ritual via windows xp on vmware on my mac when I get home (the only software which will read the files is windows only), which tends to get on one's norks abit, to be honest. The recorder was given to me so I can't complain but hell's donkeys, it's a chore.

Sooo --
I'm thinking, is it possible to port some little simple audio recorder to the iLiad ? Obviously one would need a usb mic of some sort (plenty of clip on efforts out there), and drivers for it for a start. But as for after that - no idea.

The idea appeals to my "all-in-one" device lust.

Anyone done it, or is up for it ? Is it even possible ?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and for any replies.

Rachael
rachaelandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast

Shall I take it that the silence in the room (though this post has quite a few views) for the last five days means that either this is
a) impossible,
or,
b) an idea not remotely interesting to anyone else ?
or,
c) both of the above ?
or
d) something else.

Rachael

Last edited by rachaelandrews; 08-20-2008 at 06:26 AM. Reason: I can't spell :)
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Hi Rachael

Sorry that nobody is replying, but I think it is because this is not easy to implement and not a lot of people are desiring this

There is a linux driver here.

But I dont know linux, so it may not be fitting to iLiad. I think the best way would be, if the manufacturer of the mic would provide a linux driver. When the driver could be implemented the rest should be not a big problem.

Here a site with a lot of linux sound applications

Greetings
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast

Thanks for replying Gogolo. I will check out those links.
I wish I had some programming knowledge !

Rachael