Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Made my own Kindle case ....

After purchasing about $100 of neoprene, I have yet to try to fabricate my own neoprene case.

HOWEVER ... today I was at Walmart, and I found a case that was (for me) just perfect for my Kindle ... with about 5 seconds of modifications.

It's a day planner case. Actually, it came with a whole set of stuff for 2009 that I may toss or use ... I haven't decided yet.

It's called the Franklin Day One. It is made of very soft black leather, has a really nice feel. And, it zips all the way around, which is something I really wanted. Note, however, that it will not flip all the way back ... so if you are into reading like that, this case would not be for you.

I like to jot notes while I read, and I'm right handed, so I left the note pages where they were in the original case, removed the binder part (which came out very easily) and then put two pieces of sticky back velcro on the back of the case (under the amazonkindle logo ... and one at the bottom left of the back). It holds the Kindle in perfectly while still making it easy to get to the switches. Oh, and I took a bit of the soft sticky velcro and covered up the holes where the binder had been attached. The pen fits perfectly on the side of the case (where it won't scratch the screen or accidentally hit any buttons when the case is closed).

Anyway ... if you are a leftie ... you could put the note pad on the other side.

Really ... the whole thing took barely a minute to do, and the five second statement I made at the beginning of the post may be closer to the truth. The case is about $23.00 .... if Franklin Covey has them without all the calendar stuff, then you might be able to get one for less.

Just a head's up in case anyone else was looking for this kind of case. I'm posting photos ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006x.JPG
Views:	1113
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	14575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007x.JPG
Views:	1410
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	14576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008x.JPG
Views:	1044
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	14577  

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 07-21-2008 at 09:19 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Excellent! I do love the zipper to totally enclose the cover.

Now whatcha gonna do with all that neoprene? A wetsuit for that diving cat avatar you used to have?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Very cool.I love the zipper idea too...... Your bookplate looks awesome. Thanks for the idea.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Excellent! I do love the zipper to totally enclose the cover.

Now whatcha gonna do with all that neoprene? A wetsuit for that diving cat avatar you used to have?
I will probably still make a neoprene cover for my Kindle at some point ... possibly one with a zipper. But, I realized I need more time to experiment with the stuff, and I wanted a nice cover NOW!!

And .... with all the upholstery work that I need to do (I've got two couches, an easy chair, six bar stools, and two HUGE cat towers to recover and several pillows to make), and the painting ... and sealing the floors ... and cleaning the garage. Well, it's going to be awhile before I can play with neoprene.

This thing just fits like a glove. However .... I am NOT seeing it at all on the Franklin Covey page ... and even more importantly, I saw something like it at Walgreens, but it does not have a zipper (about ten bucks cheaper too ... but no zipper).

For what it's worth ... the UPC code for it is: 43100 88044 8 ... and while it is not real leather (which I think I actually feel pretty good about), it really does feel like real leather. But it says "Cover made of man-made materials."

Man .... I'm hitting the hay early tonight. I am simply beat. I had to drive all the way over to Marble Falls TWICE because the check out girl at Home Depot forgot to ring up some of my stuff. So .... I got home and ... WTF?? Where the hell is my ...... I know I put it in the cart!!!!

So ... here it is twenty to nine, and I'm packing it in for the day.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Very nice, RM. Great Idea!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Looks great!
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindleing since 11/4/08
That is a great idea! I may try something like that if I get a Kindle (or a similar device)
awesomevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomevegan View Post
That is a great idea! I may try something like that if I get a Kindle (or a similar device)
Especially since (as it turns out) it is most emphatically NOT leather ... but it feels really nice. It is wearing well too. It's been getting a lot of use over the past three months, and it still looks great.

It's also been wonderful for protecting my Kindle. I'm sure it would fit a Sony, or most any other 6 inch screen device just as well. They still have them at Walmart.

Tags
duck!