Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #1846
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
That one is kind of dragon-like!

I sincerely hope you are not accusing me of insinuating that our lady Queen is a d...... ?!!!

That sort of thing gets me into trouble tha ken ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #1847
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I sincerely hope you are not accusing me of insinuating that our lady Queen is a d...... ?!!!

That sort of thing gets me into trouble tha ken ....
Naw, just really cool!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #1848
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have arranged for Chalkbot to display a special message on the roads of the Tour de France. Here is a preview.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zptdf1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	31751  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #1849
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fun with Pretzels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pretzel.png
Views:	312
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	31756  
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #1850
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I have arranged for Chalkbot to display a special message on the roads of the Tour de France. Here is a preview.
amazing ! i suddenly feel a stirring of interest for the tour ! that is unexpected !

Quote:
Fun with Pretzels
who doesn't love pretzels ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #1851
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Here is how chalkbot works:

Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #1852
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here is how chalkbot works:
i love the chalkbot.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #1853
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
QUEEN ZELDA!!!!!!!

I am in need of your assistance. Great thread for it, huh? Anyway, my mom and my sister (who is 13, sheesh) are planning to go to Paris in August (they decided this today). No, I'm not allowed to go (double sheesh). My two questions are this: 1) We hear tell that Parisians run away in August and many things might be closed. I doubt this, not to mention that sounds like less people, which is a good thing. But I just want to verify.
2) Teen sister is a vegetarian, and I can't remember anything on any menu that had no meat that wasn't salad. But that was a while ago, and I drank a lot in Paris. Do you think she'll do OK at most restaurants?

Ok, that is all *bows to QZ*
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #1854
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think Zelda may have gone to bed.

However, I've been to Paris in August; several times. Some of the bakeries are closed. But the museums, department stores and everything else is open. And the city isn't empty - it is full of American people.

If you Google on "Paris Vegetarian Restaurants" then you will find quite a lot. Personally, I often to to the neighbourhood pizzerias/Italian restaurants, which often feature vegetarian pizzas and pastas.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #1855
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And for a light lunch many cafes do salads, cheese baguettes and the ubiquitous croque monsieur and croque madame. (cheese and ham toasted sandwich, with an egg on top for the croque madame. Just ask for it without the ham.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #1856
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
lilac_jive

not to speak for zelda or anything but

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=22

Quote:
in french cuisine also a lot of people (particularly from older generations) expect meat to be at the center of the meal. they are sometimes quite flustered when they learn i don't eat meat, as if there weren't anything else that was actually food.

I remeber seeing vegetarian restront on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares Series 5 call Piccolo Teatro in Paris, France

not realy a good point. but in the show remsay comment that it is almost nuts to open a vegetarian(maybe it was vigen(dont know how to spell that as normal))... restront in france.

but it could just be that im a uninformed as I almost never leave my state. let alone contray..

Last edited by ahammer; 07-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #1857
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post

However, I've been to Paris in August; several times. Some of the bakeries are closed. But the museums, department stores and everything else is open. And the city isn't empty - it is full of American people.

If you Google on "Paris Vegetarian Restaurants" then you will find quite a lot. Personally, I often to to the neighbourhood pizzerias/Italian restaurants, which often feature vegetarian pizzas and pastas.
Oh ok. Well, that doesn't sound great either! Why go to Paris to see a bunch of crazy Americans? I'll have my sister google and make a list of restaurants and neighborhoods, but it always makes me feel better to hear from those with experience

Quote:
And for a light lunch many cafes do salads, cheese baguettes and the ubiquitous croque monsieur and croque madame. (cheese and ham toasted sandwich, with an egg on top for the croque madame. Just ask for it without the ham.)
Oooh i remember jambones! I forgot about cheese sandwiches, she should be OK with those (but knowing her, she'll just get a chocolate croissant for lunch every day).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer View Post
lilac_jive

not to speak for zelda or anything but

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=22

I remeber seeing vegetarian restront on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares Series 5 call Piccolo Teatro in Paris, France

not realy a good point. but in the show remsay comment that it is almost nuts to open a vegetarian(maybe it was vigen(dont know how to spell that as normal))... restront in france.

but it could just be that im a uninformed as I almost never leave my state. let alone contray..
I saw that episode!!!!! That was hilarious! Ahh the girl who ran it was totally crazy (it's spelled vegan, by the way).
Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #1858
zelda_pinwheel

so sorry ! i had gone to bed when you posted this, in fact, and i only just saw it. i see you've gotten some good info from patricia already, i'm glad she was still awake. so how is it that your mom and sister have decided to go travelling without you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
QUEEN ZELDA!!!!!!!

I am in need of your assistance. Great thread for it, huh? Anyway, my mom and my sister (who is 13, sheesh) are planning to go to Paris in August (they decided this today). No, I'm not allowed to go (double sheesh). My two questions are this: 1) We hear tell that Parisians run away in August and many things might be closed. I doubt this, not to mention that sounds like less people, which is a good thing. But I just want to verify.
2) Teen sister is a vegetarian, and I can't remember anything on any menu that had no meat that wasn't salad. But that was a while ago, and I drank a lot in Paris. Do you think she'll do OK at most restaurants?

Ok, that is all *bows to QZ*
Quote:

Quote:
all of that is excellent advice. being a vegetarian does limit your options here (a lot) in restaurants, but you won't actually *starve*. i am frequently frustrated when i go to restaurants (which is rarely) because they usually do have one vegetarian option on the menu, but JUST ONE. and if i'm going to go to a restaurant, i'd like to choose.

however, in almost any restaurant she could order something on the menu without meat, or have an omelette (she's vegetarian, right ? not vegan ?), or a salad, or a sandwich, etc.

it's true that among the older or less open-minded population she might meet with a bit of incomprehension depending on where she goes (also the classic reaction : "oh, a vegetarian ! so you eat chicken then, right ? no ?? really ? what about fish then ? surely you eat fish ?" arg !) but then again they'll probably just chalk it up to another "crazy american". i actually have noticed just recently in the supermarket two different products labelled "suitable for vegetarians" which gave me hope that the tide might finally be turning, but (much like ebooks...) i suspect it will be a long and slow process and won't affect any visitors this summer much, if at all.

i recommend she avoids chinese restaurants (the worst of the lot ! once i went with friends and ordered the ONLY vegetarian thing on the menu : "mixed seasonal vegetables" and plain rice. they brought me a plate of barely cooked broccoli (JUST broccoli) with no sauce of any kind, i don't think they even added salt to the water they boiled it in for approximately 20 seconds. that was the last time i went to a chinese restaurant. don't get me wrong, i love broccoli, but sheesh, i can make it much better at home for a lot less money.), and also anything specialising in "lyonnaise" cuisine (mainly tripes, etc.) or "terroir" (lots of pâtés and foie gras).

she should have more options in mediterranean / italian restaurants, they have a lot more vegetables in their cuisine. and in sushi restaurants they have vegetarian maki (rolls) with cucumber and / or avocado, and sometimes brochettes of mushrooms or courgettes or the like. it's really a shame that mauro has just sold the trottinette where we hold the meetups ; his food was really good and almost all the dishes were vegetarian, it was like christmas in there for me. of course it might have been a bit out of the way for them. tell her to take a look at the menu before going inside (it's always posted on the exterior of the restaurant) so she can see what the options are and decide if she's interested.

as for august in paris... well, it's actually mostly true that half the population flees the city and finding an open boulangerie can be a real quest for the holy grail, but it shouldn't really affect tourists very much, because there are so many of them that all the touristy things stay open. so, fewer actual parisians, but still quite a lot of people around. depending which neighborhoods they visit, they might not even notice the difference.

also, depending on when they come, there is quite a lot to do in the summer (to console those of us who are stuck here the whole time), like plenty of concerts in parks, the open-air cinéma at la villette (free ! every evening (but monday) ! check the program here ! just bear in mind that the programmation is usually very diverse but all subtitles will be in french... but usually there are at least a couple english-language films in the lot), etc.

overall, if someone asked me what is the best month to visit paris, i wouldn't say august, but that doesn't mean it's not worth making the trip nonetheless.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #1859
zelda_pinwheel

oh, indian restaurants also are really good choices for vegetarians !! and there are lots of them here.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #1860
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Wow great advice Zee! I forgot about Indian restaurants, I'm pretty sure she likes Indian (I know I do). I'll show them this post.

Waaaaah I wanna go too!!!

Tags
duck!, fun with avatars, thwack!, unutterable silliness, zelda