Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Nook Canada

Want to buy a colour screen ereader and got suggestions about a Nook. Question is if I can get one in the U.S., will it work in Canada and what about purchasing books? Anyone in Canada can give me some information?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
My daughter has a Nook STR and I buy books from B&N using an old US address, and my Cdn credit card works fine. Any valid US address would work. I don't use VPN, and we don't turn on wireless on the device (not for any particular reason, just to preserve battery). Everything is side-loaded by Calibre.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Register your B&N account with a US shipping and billing address. Any valid US address will work. Your Canadian credit card will work fine.
As some e-books are officially available to Canada, a VPN is not needed.
Using Wifi to download books to your Nook will work fine.
You can also use the shop on your Nook.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
I don't buy books from B&N, but yes you will need to use a USA address even for 'free' ebooks and plugins.

I'd suggest also confirming/asking the store's return policy (especially restock fee) before you buy. I was actually going to return my HD after a couple of hours of playing around with it, because the non-stock android interface didn't seem ideal at the time, and I couldn't get flash to work in that limited time.

But I didn't realize there was a restock fee, so I ended up keeping mine since I couldn't get a full refund. But it's worked out pretty well, I got flash working and figured out where the wallpapers are (why they make a plain white background the default is beyond me).

I really like the screen, it's got better resolution than my laptop.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
willincanada
willincanada began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
I don't buy books from B&N, but yes you will need to use a USA address even for 'free' ebooks and plugins.

I'd suggest also confirming/asking the store's return policy (especially restock fee) before you buy. I was actually going to return my HD after a couple of hours of playing around with it, because the non-stock android interface didn't seem ideal at the time, and I couldn't get flash to work in that limited time.

But I didn't realize there was a restock fee, so I ended up keeping mine since I couldn't get a full refund. But it's worked out pretty well, I got flash working and figured out where the wallpapers are (why they make a plain white background the default is beyond me).

I really like the screen, it's got better resolution than my laptop.
Does Hotel address work?
willincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It did for me when I set up my Amazon UK account.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
One great feature of the HD and HD+ is that you can get a preconfigured dual-boot SD card which allows you to easily boot into Android Jelly Bean without rooting the device or using do-it-yourself hacks. This is the card I recommend: http://www.amazon.com/AndroidForNook...ref=pd_cp_pc_0
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
One great feature of the HD and HD+ is that you can get a preconfigured dual-boot SD card which allows you to easily boot into Android Jelly Bean without rooting the device or using do-it-yourself hacks. This is the card I recommend: http://www.amazon.com/AndroidForNook...ref=pd_cp_pc_0
Will using that allow me to sideload apps?
For the most part, I am happy with my stock HD+ but there have been a couple of times I would like to be able to load apps from elsewhere, such as the AdblockPlus app but of course, B&N dont allow that.
I have briefly looked into rooting my device but find the wealth of information about it quite overwhelming and it puts me off, especially as I have no one to help me if I go wrong (apart from online of course) and I am scared I will brick my HD+.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
Will using that allow me to sideload apps?
Yes, you can sideload apps if you're running an N2A or similar card, it's stock Android.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote