Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #121
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will have to become the Product Manager for all of David's calibre add-ons.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #122
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You want a demotion from crash-test-dummy?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #123
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You had to mention Crash Test Dummy! Have you ever heard this song?

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #124
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Software developers don't have free reign to add in features; they are driven by Product Management and Marketing.
And marketing sectors usually are more interested to have a product that make a lot of money instead of a good product, of course.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 06-11-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #125
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Have you tried to use the tshering's solution (edit the 2 lines in "root/autorun.sh" in KoboRoot.tar of screenInv installer) ? is it better? I'm waitting for your reply before to install 2.6.1 FW...
I'm also curious about this ... Will it automatically download the update when I turn wifi on, or will it require my acceptance somehow?
(I'm still new to Kobo.)
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #126
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Ok I understand that developers have another things to do that listen our "little" requets... but firstly, I think "night mode" is not a little one and secondly, it costs nothing to try to ask them what they think about the idea to integrate it in their future packages of firmwares !

Last edited by akorx; 06-11-2013 at 04:42 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
I'm also curious about this ... Will it automatically download the update when I turn wifi on, or will it require my acceptance somehow?
(I'm still new to Kobo.)
No and yes. It doesn't happen when you turn on the WiFi. The download happens when you do a sync to the Kobo server. You can use the browser as much as you want, but if there is an update available and you press the sync button, it will download the update. Once it has downloaded, it will ask if you want to install. If you say no, the install is done at the next restart or disconnect from the PC.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #128
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Once it has downloaded, it will ask if you want to install. If you say no, the install is done at the next restart or disconnect from the PC.
which means that if you delete the downloaded file before disconnecting the device will not update, or is this a wrong conclusion?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #129
flips01
Connoisseur

So I'll turn on wifi and test my rss web reader/client to see if it works with the kobo web browser, and make sure I don't sync or connect it to Kobo Desktop ...
(I'm working on replacing Google Reading, would be neat to read on the Aura well as on OSX and iOS ...)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #130
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
which means that if you delete the downloaded file before disconnecting the device will not update, or is this a wrong conclusion?
Yes, it is supposed to work. I haven't done, but others have. What I have done is replace the version installed by the desktop app after a factory reset with a version I wanted to test.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #131
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Yes, it is supposed to work. I haven't done, but others have. What I have done is replace the version installed by the desktop app after a factory reset with a version I wanted to test.
thanks david!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #132
flips01
Connoisseur

Quote:
So downgrading should be easy enough if one has the older .tgz or .zip file available?
(Not like iphone upgrades where the baseband upgrades prevents downgrades.)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #133
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So downgrading should be easy enough if one has the older .tgz or .zip file available?
Yes. You probably should use the complete packaged, but going back one or two releases with just KoboRoot.tgz is probably safe.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #134
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
As long as you use the complete package and do not go back before a version that supported the device you are downgrading, you should be safe enough. Generally, I use the version from a factory reset as the minimum version.

You can find many of the older packages still available from the links in the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #135
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
I tried a downgrade from 2.6.1 to 2.5.2 on a Mini with frimware files downloaded from MobileRead direct link page.
It didn't work, more than an hour on the screen with little squares black to white.
I had to restore the internal SD Card with a backup I made before.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch