Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Can't download ebooks from Amazon

I can download apps from the amazon app store, and I can use my Kindle Fire to buy a book, but when I try to Download, nothing happens; and when I try to "Read Now" I get a message saying the "Application is not Registered, trying to register it now" Then nothing happens. Also, all my previously loaded books are listed with no covers and when I select one, nothing happens. (I could do all this as of about a week ago)

I'm assuming (with no knowledge of Amazon on my part) that I've probably got some file corrupted.

Is it reasonable to expect that either "Reset to Factory defaults" or to "Deregister" my device will resolve this? Is this something I need to get Amazon involved with?

Since this is a Refurb from Best Buy, I doubt there will be any Amazon warranty service available. However I think the BB 30 day warranty is still in effect.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You had better call Amazon Customer Service. That eBay refurbished Kindle may have been lost or stolen and the MAC address placed on a blocked list after the original owner called it in.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You had better call Amazon Customer Service. That eBay refurbished Kindle may have been lost or stolen and the MAC address placed on a blocked list after the original owner called it in.
It isn't from eBay it's from Best Buy a major Brick and Mortar electronics retailer in the USA. But maybe a customer service call is a reasonable assumption.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You didn't install/update to a newer version of the Android Kindle app from another source, did you? The Kindle Fire version of the Kindle app is tightly integrated into the Fire's environment. The standalone Android Kindle app is a different beast altogether.

I'd definitely try de-registering/re-registering first. Then escalate to a factory reset if that doesn't work. Unless you've done some pretty serious hacking, I'd expect the reset to restore functionality. I personally wouldn't get Amazon involved until I exhausted those options. They're going to walk you through doing one, or the other, or both of those things anyway.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-28-2013 at 08:23 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

An FYI for anyone following. . .

A reset to factory defaults seemed to do the trick. I was backed up pretty well to my PC, even my side loaded *.apk files (my DBA paranoia pays off again!),and of course Amazon keeps track of my Amazon sourced media. So a return to my desired level of normalcy was relatively easy and only took about 30 minutes overall.

I still suspect something I side loaded trashed a file; I suspect my early SO easy successes at side loading made me a little TOO experimental. So after I got back to basic functionality, I decided to be very careful what gets side loaded.

So all I really side loaded was Aldiko reader for ePubs. Moon+ apparently has released a new version incompatible with 1st gen K Fire devices. I had the old apk, but when I tried to load and run it, it insisted on upgrading. Pre reset, I had tried to upgrade but it wouldn't run on the K Fire 1st gen. So I didn't even try to upgrade this time, I just uninstalled. Drat, I really liked the auto scroll Moon + has. But with the Kindle reader software and Aldiko, I feel adequately covered file format wise.

Edit: Amazon's Kindle support was actually pretty good. The support rep was clearly foreign, but his English skills were pretty good, and he didn't insult me by calling himself "Chad" or "Bob". The connection itself was a tad fuzzy though so we had some trouble understanding each other on an audio level.

The key to dealing with THIS support rep was to avoid ANY sort of non standard English or regional colloquialism (the phrase, "That dog don't hunt" was totally lost on him!).

Also he seemed to be reading a script, so it seems waiting half a beat before responding to a comment appeared to help. Early on in this support call, I responded too quickly to something he said and he clearly needed to wait till a new screen page appear to finish what he was saying!

I'd rate my satisfaction with the support call was around an 8 out of 10 possible points.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 04-28-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Advert