Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #1321
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@pw-uzer: You're obviously doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #1322
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@pw-uzer: You're obviously doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is.
Things Programmers Say When Their Programs Don't Work:

Quote:
20. That's weird....

19. It's never done that before.

18. It worked yesterday.

17. How is that possible?

16. It must be a hardware problem.

15. What did you type in wrong to get it to crash?

14. There is something funky in your data. OR It's a data problem, not a program problem.

13. I haven't touched that module in weeks!

12. You must have the wrong version.

11. It's just some unlucky coincidence.

10. I can't test everything!

9. THIS can't be the source of THAT.

8. It works, but it hasn't been tested.

7. Somebody must have changed my code.

6. Did you check for a virus on your system?

5. Even though it doesn't work, how does it feel?

4. You can't use that version on your system.

3. Why do you want to do it that way?

2. Where were you when the program blew up?

And the Number One Thing Programmers Say When Their Programs Don't Work:

1. "It works on my machine..".

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #1323
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw-uzer View Post
I'm not really sure what that means, "restart of the framework." After changing the margin settings in JBPatch, I've selected all three of the default Paperwhite margin settings, multiple times even. If you mean restart the device, I've also done that. If you mean restart the framework from withing JBPatch, I've done that. No matter what actions I take, the JBPatch margins don't go into effect. The 3 stock Paperwhite margin settings stay the same regardless of how many times I change between them.
Just out of curiosity, when you are in JBPatch on the Overview page, what is the version date of the Modify Reader Margins patch (under the heading)? If your PW firmware is 5.3.4, then the Modify Reader Margins patch should be version 2013-03-15... if it is 2013-01-28, then you need to update that patch...here.

Last edited by GoSharks; 03-21-2013 at 01:02 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #1324
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw-uzer View Post
I'm not really sure what that means, "restart of the framework." After changing the margin settings in JBPatch, I've selected all three of the default Paperwhite margin settings, multiple times even. If you mean restart the device, I've also done that. If you mean restart the framework from withing JBPatch, I've done that. No matter what actions I take, the JBPatch margins don't go into effect. The 3 stock Paperwhite margin settings stay the same regardless of how many times I change between them.
Hi
Have you changed values directly on USB storage in com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.margins.txt file? For me in some time only this works. And uninstall - install fixes problem, so I can now change in interface numbers there.
Sorry my bad english
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #1325
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Things Programmers Say When Their Programs Don't Work:

All too apposite. However, Unix and Linux programmers never say "did you check for a virus on your system?". What we do say, quite a lot, is "it must be a race condition and I can't make it happen here". (Often this means it only happens on a system with more processors, or only happens in emulation, or only happens *not* in emulation, or only happens in a particular emulator, perhaps running on a system with a particular number of processors...)

The trickiest such bug to reproduce that I ever encountered could only be reproduced on a system with 16 virtual CPUs running atop a Windows 2008 Server virtual host with 8 CPUs, while talking to the right version of database a specific number of ms away on the network, where the database was backed by an 8+2 RAID array. Reproducing that took over a month...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #1326
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You had me at "Windows 2008 Server"...

Best one I ever had was a 3rd party clustered round robin ASP solution for A Large Telecoms company that managed the delivery of their jobs to the engineers. (Application service provider not Active Server Pages) I was an implementation consultant at the time.

For no "obvious" reason the memory usage would spiral out of all control on one server and the server would literally kill itself (never the same server, just randomly one of them). They tried memory tracing, checking the sizes of the processes, all manner of things sane and not. There was no obvious cause. The spikes were in fact from the system-side of things and not user code.

In the end? They added a pile more Windows servers and just spread the load more evenly. Never happened again.

The moral of this story? If in doubt throw resources at it. Or develop on a decent bloody operating system to begin with. It's fair to say that the particular company I am referring to (who must remain nameless as must the TelCo) didn't survive for very long.

The other moral? Don't expect contractors to provide you with a bullet-proof solution. They just don't care enough.

(10. I can't test everything!)

Nice catch on yours btw.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #1327
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
I think I figured it out, or fixed it, at least. I reinstalled the patch and this time it worked. I think the first time I unplugged the kindle before I unmounted it, and something must have gotten corrupted. Whatever the reason, it seems to be working now! Sorry for all the confusion. :-o
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #1328
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuzer View Post
I think I figured it out, or fixed it, at least. I reinstalled the patch and this time it worked. I think the first time I unplugged the kindle before I unmounted it, and something must have gotten corrupted. Whatever the reason, it seems to be working now! Sorry for all the confusion. :-o
Quote:
11. It's just some unlucky coincidence.
glad it's sorted
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #1329
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Just to announce that a Calibre plugin (by SauliusP) for adding hyphenation to AZW3 books via soft-hyphens (that is, putting ­ HTML entities in place between syllables) is now available: here. It works for sure (obviously even without jailbreak) on KT and KPW but I guess it should work on any model with a firmware supporting the MOBI8/AZW3 format.

Maybe this could be mentioned in the opening post of the thread?

The plugin uses OpenOffice/LibreOffice hyphenation dictionaries. Hyphens can also be removed. At the moment it seems to work well for ePubs (which could then be converted to AZW3) while it could have some side effect directly on AZW3.

Last edited by pirl8; 03-25-2013 at 04:26 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #1330
xiaoguixp
xiaoguixp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi, is there any news about JBPatch for KPW 5.3.4? English is a foreign language to me, so I really need the multi-dictionay patch.
xiaoguixp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #1331
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoguixp View Post
Hi, is there any news about JBPatch for KPW 5.3.4? English is a foreign language to me, so I really need the multi-dictionay patch.
If you really need it, you can always downgrade to an earlier Firmware version.

If it was that easy to port the dictionary port to the new FW, I would have already done it. That said, you're welcome to fork over the usual developer salary for, say, 8 hours of work, and I promise that I will adjust my priorities according to your needs.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #1332
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
If you really need it, you can always downgrade to an earlier Firmware version.

If it was that easy to port the dictionary port to the new FW, I would have already done it. That said, you're welcome to fork over the usual developer salary for, say, 8 hours of work, and I promise that I will adjust my priorities according to your needs.

What?
You have joined the "short answer" crowd on these "code this for me" posts?

Only recently, one of my "send money" replies got bump'd after nearly a year -
Person never did send money, but was curious as to why no one had written the code for them yet.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #1333
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Version 3.2.1 (2013-02-03)
  • Look up words in all applicable dictionaries, instead of only one
  • Kindle 3 users: Although not officially supported, JBPatch also works on the K3!
Make sure to download the correct file for your device!
  • Kindle Touch, Firmware 5.1.x: download *_fw510.zip
  • Kindle Touch, Firmware 5.3.2 or 5.3.2.1: download *_fw532.zip
  • Kindle Paperwhite, Firmware 5.3.1 or 5.3.3: download *_fw531.zip
@ixtab I didn't dare to do it to my K3. But if someone ever repackages it for an easier K3 installation, I would like that specific feature (listing entries in all dictionaries rather than only the one specified by the metadata language).

Alternately, if you ever reworked the patch (and provided the framework is aware of the tag) maybe could you also consider the xml lang marker ex: <p xml:lang="xx"> ... </p> to specifically invoke only that (these) xx language dictionary(ies) in this paragraph.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #1334
twobob

I ran it on my k3 no sweat.

I'll dig up what I did at some point, I always intended to revisit this one day anyway.

Just so much stuff keeps rolling in. it really was very easy in the end.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #1335
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
I have searched for this online but found no idea. I assume that the dictionaries for Kindle Keyboard work for Paperwhite. If so, how do I install a dictionary for am unsupported language (i.e. the language is not on the menu list)? Thank you for any hint on this.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks