Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
carolehughes
carolehughes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Older kobo not touch blank screen red light

I plugged it in to update at the kobo site and the screen went blank / white and the red light is on at the top

It wasnt a low battery it was half used
carolehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Aemma
Aemma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolehughes View Post
I plugged it in to update at the kobo site and the screen went blank / white and the red light is on at the top

It wasnt a low battery it was half used
I think Kobo is imploding.
Aemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
carolehughes

Me too , I think its time to toss them in the trash pile and find a make that doesnt require constant care lol
Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
That sounds like a great idea. If you are having all that trouble, just toss the buggers away. I only wish I knew why some people have this much difficulty and others (like me) simply do not. Carole, I am a bit surprised that you have had this constant trouble, after all, you have been a MR member for over a year, and this is only your 14th post.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Me too , I think its time to toss them in the trash pile and find a make that doesnt require constant care lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
I think Kobo is imploding.
How I wish people would realize that their attitude affects dramatically how they get perceived and helped; both by other users AND by the helpdesks they get in touch with.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Aemma
Aemma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
How I wish people would realize that their attitude affects dramatically how they get perceived and helped; both by other users AND by the helpdesks they get in touch with.
Fair enough. It wasn't my intention to ruffle anybody's feathers. I have had nothing but a great experience with my KT up until last week. Not everybody is tech-savvy and a person such as myself is trying hard to get the issues resolved but it seems to no avail anywhere. I am frustrated.

Please, perhaps a bit of patience with somebody who has had it up to here with requesting help and not being able to get any straight answers anywhere. I paid for a product and a service which is not functioning at this moment. I cannot see how my behaviour should reflect anything other than this felt frustration. If this has offended you, I apologise.

Had I found this site last week before these issues occurred, I would have been raving about my KT. Today I'm not and have been looking for some resources to help me. I thought this might be a place to get some assistance.
Aemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
carolehughes

Tamings quote: Carole, I am a bit surprised that you have had this constant trouble, after all, you have been a MR member for over a year, and this is only your 14th post.
(sorry Im 67 years old and have no idea how to put a quote in.

Taming, I read the posts others put here when i have the same problem as they do and have had help that way, I am sorry I dont understand the 14th post comment, isnt that attitude .

My post showed my frustration with the product. I own 2 kobos a touch and the original the advertising for the kobos shows easy, just plug it in, I have plugged it in, and ive unplugged it as per instructions using the "remove hardware" icon. When I get problems I look in this site to read what others have said about the latest problem, I try to understand it. Im not sure how many problems in total people have had with Kobo but Ive had my share of them.

I also am not someone that can understand a lot of the computer talk on here but eventually i have figured it out enough to help myself. Today I got another problem, I gather because I said Im tossing them? with a lol? I get you two on my case? Im glad you havent had any problems you are very fortunate.

Last edited by carolehughes; 11-16-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #8
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Tamings quote: Carole, I am a bit surprised that you have had this constant trouble, after all, you have been a MR member for over a year, and this is only your 14th post.
(sorry Im 67 years old and have no idea how to put a quote in.

Taming, I read the posts others put here when i have the same problem as they do and have had help that way, I am sorry I dont understand the 14th post comment, isnt that attitude .

My post showed my frustration with the product. I own 2 kobos a touch and the original the advertising for the kobos shows easy, just plug it in, I have plugged it in, and ive unplugged it as per instructions using the "remove hardware" icon. When I get problems I look in this site to read what others have said about the latest problem, I try to understand it. Im not sure how many problems in total people have had with Kobo but Ive had my share of them.

I also am not someone that can understand a lot of the computer talk on here but eventually i have figured it out enough to help myself. Today I got another problem, I gather because I said Im tossing them? with a lol? I get you two on my case? Im glad you havent had any problems you are very fortunate.
You're only as old as you feel.. (^_^)

Taming's 14th post comment is in regard to the number of "posts:" shown to the left of your message body. (which I notice now doesn't show up when you are writing a reply).

The problems most people encounter with their Kobo Touches as far as I can figure is that the database on the device becomes corrupted. This can happen in any number of strange ways but the primary cause appears to be multiple applications on the computer grabbing access to the Kobo Device filesystem. In my case my computer tends to open up a file explorer window when I plug in my Touch so I make sure I have NO applications open when I do. If I need to use the Kobo Desktop, I start it AFTER I close the File Explorer windows. In my experience between the File Explorer, Kobo Desktop, Calibre and Adobe Digital Editions, each should never be active when any of the others are active. Close one application before you start one of the others if you need to use them.. You do not have to eject between them. Just eject before you disconnect the USB cable.

I hope that wasn't too complicated to follow.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
Fair enough. It wasn't my intention to ruffle anybody's feathers. I have had nothing but a great experience with my KT up until last week.
I think it is important to put those background things in when you begin to post in a new community. And I did not see as a LOL.

There have definitely been a whole mess of server related problems in the past several weeks. Now, over the time I have owned Kobo kit (and I bought my Kobo-1 the day it was released, and started posting here not much later--before there actually was a "real" Kobo forum) there have been problems enough, but not often these pervasive server issues. Somehow, the recent server problems never affected my (currently 5) Kobo devices, except in the most fleeting ways.

What we have seen as the Kobo forum has gotten busier these last few weeks (in part because of the problems, in part because of the new Vox [and some problems with it]) is that people who are new to the forums are making those out of context statements and (sometimes) seem to egg each other on. Sometimes it seems like the new posters have, perhaps, never participated in an on-line forum before and are under the impression that because it is anonymous, it's perfectly alright to just hit and run with statements that are provocative and do not move the conversation along toward a solution to whatever the problem happens to be.

There are a substantial number of people on the Kobo forum, and on the other MR forums, who know a fair amount about the devices they own. When the forums get slammed with angry new people, it can be really frustrating. Think of being here as if you had moved into a new neighbourhood. Try to remember that your neighbours probably want to be helpful and get to know you, but if your first interaction happens because you are taking a dump in their garden, well, it might not turn out so great.

PS: And thank you Peter for PMing me and reminding me that I really don't have to get worked up about this sort of thing. Forum friends can sure be wonderful.

PPS: I am going to be 60 in June.

Last edited by taming; 11-16-2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: happy birthday note
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
The Paul
The Paul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I had the same problem, and since no one ever got around to addressing the content of the original post, and the internet is this great big record that should be complete...

...for reasons that I can't fathom, I don't think any single person is actually capable of making these kinds of mistakes, but corporations seem to make them all the time, some people do not see instructions for upgrading their Kobo when they attempt to upgrade. Instead they get a set of instructions which, if followed, lock the Kobo in "Upgrade mode" but do not actually result in any upgrades being installed.

You should be able to unlock your Kobo by pressing the upgrade button on the back. Its hidden inside a tiny pit, you'll have to press it with a paperclip or the blunt end of a sewing needle or something.

If you want the real (secret?) instructions for performing an upgrade you'll have to contact customer service. Whatever they are they're nearly unrelated to the information I'm being presented with and I've lost patience with trying to guess what they might be.
The Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Paul View Post

You should be able to unlock your Kobo by pressing the upgrade button on the back. Its hidden inside a tiny pit, you'll have to press it with a paperclip or the blunt end of a sewing needle or something.
That's the reset button not an upgrade button.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Responding to 8 month old thread, why.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Honestly, saw that post calling the reset button an upgrade button, I was bored, so I replied. Boredom partially abated
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote