Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #136
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks. I just checked the Future Shop web site and they have the Vox listed again (at $199 Cdn.) According to their tech specs, it does support PDF format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
It's very possible they don't know, particularly since this is a new product, but a response would be nice.

Chances are, you'll be able to get an adobe reader app (if one isn't included by default), which, quite honestly, would be the best solution.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #137
EMG
EMG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Well, the Touch also has an 800MHz CPU (gods only now how much RAM it has thanks to the habit of people calling the onboard storage RAM and memory) and page turns are nice and fast. Zooming and then scrolling/panning is horribly slow, though, due to it being e-ink. That aspect will be a LOT faster on the Vox.

EDIT: The Nook Color has the same screen size & resolution, CPU speed, and RAM. this video review of how comics perform on the NC (with 3 different Android comic reader apps) should tell you how they'll perform on the Vox.
Thanks a bunch! it looks smooth enough to dish out the $200!
EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #138
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Well, the Touch also has an 800MHz CPU (gods only now how much RAM it has thanks to the habit of people calling the onboard storage RAM and memory).
actually they are pretty specific; 512MB ram and 8GB storage, bolstered up 32GB more with a micro SD card.

The speed of the processor really shouldn't impact comics as all they are are pictures in a zip file and are handled as such, more or less. Video on the other hand could be interesting, particularly if you're trying to watch full HD video...

In any case, looking forward to trying it out next friday @ chapters as I think it'll be great for the 10 year old who uses her current Kobo Wifi non-stop but has wanted something she can play games and watch movies on as well..
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #139
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
actually they are pretty specific; 512MB ram and 8GB storage, bolstered up 32GB more with a micro SD card.
Oh, I know the Vox's stats - I was referring to the difficulty of finding out how much RAM the Touch has since so many stats sheets for it refer to the 1.5GB (free; I assume it's actually 2GB with 500MB used for the system) storage it has as RAM/memory.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 10-21-2011 at 10:48 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #140
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I think it is worth remembering that the Fire is supposed to sell for $199 in the US. We all know that will mean at least $229 if not $249 if it ever does make it to Canada.

Personally I am not sold on this whole cloud storage thing especially for books. I would prefer to have them on my device. If I didn't already have an iPad I would be considering a Vox. I would certainly recommend it over any other cheap craplet out there. For the money it looks like a decent device. Hopefully the build quality and durability are good.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #141
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do we even know what the silicon (processor) is? 800Mhz provides some insight be I mean the Kobo Touch with it's freescale chip has an eInk controller built in, and is a rather specific chip for that segment. Who's providing the chips for the other 7" android tablets - lenovo etc?.. I'm assuming Samsung is using their own chip in their Galaxy Tab.

I guess we'll know soon enough. Be nice to see one of those ifixit tear downs.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:01 AM   #142
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Oh, I know the Vox's stats - I was referring to the difficulty of finding out how much RAM the Touch has since so many stats sheets for it refer to the 1.5GB (free; I assume it's actually 2GB with 500MB used for the system) storage it has as RAM/memory.
I think that part of the point with dedicated devices, like the Kobo Touch, is that you don't have to know. It is designed for a purpose, and it fulfills that purpose admirably. And if you do want to know, you're interests are probably sufficiently technical to seek out things like tear-apart guides and the software hacks (which indicate that the Touch has 256 MB RAM, for what it's worth).

Of course the Vox is probably a different story since it is in the middle ground between a general purpose computer and a dedicated device.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #143
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I think that part of the point with dedicated devices, like the Kobo Touch, is that you don't have to know. It is designed for a purpose, and it fulfills that purpose admirably.
You might be jumping the gun on this statement until we see how admirably is does fulfil said role, but I hear what you are saying - that is unless you happen to have one in hand?

It also is a predominately enthusiasts ereader forum so people tend to like knowing the ins-and-outs of the devices, including making nice tables of such
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #144
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts once they get "hands on!"
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #145
Ms M
Enthusiast
Ms M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo WiFi
So, can I like - pay bills and such from the VOX ?? I mean it has web BROWSING capabilities, but is it set up for such?
Ms M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #146
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms M View Post
So, can I like - pay bills and such from the VOX ?? I mean it has web BROWSING capabilities, but is it set up for such?
Yeah, though it does depend on your bank's website. I'm able to access both my bank's mobile site and its full desktop site from my Android phone, and that's on a 3.8" screen. It'd be much easier and more comfortable to access from a 7" tablet.

And if you're not happy with whatever browser is preloaded (probably the default Android browser), you can always grab an alternative browser from the preloaded GetJar Market. Opera Mobile and Dolphin Browser HD are already there, and they're both solid browsers on both phones and tablets.

Or you could find another one not in the GJ market and sideload it.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #147
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Just wanted to say a big ThankYou to all who have contributed to this discussion. I listened to all you had to say and just ordered a Vox. And yes, that "kobovox10" discount coupon saved me $10. Thank you dmacmart.
I was about to order a Touch to replace my original Kobo anyway so the additional $40 for the enhanced model is a no brainer. All I really lose is the 2 week of battery life and I can live with that.

Thanks again to all, this is a very helpful forum.

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #148
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Reading through this, I'm going to order one too... This is a wonderful forum.
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #149
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Foot View Post
I was about to order a Touch to replace my original Kobo anyway so the additional $40 for the enhanced model is a no brainer. All I really lose is the 2 week of battery life and I can live with that.
You also lose eInk. Don't get me wrong, I ordered a Vox within an hour of it being announced, but I imagine that the bulk of my reading will continue to be on my Touch (unless my husband decides to take it over to replace his Kobo WiFi).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #150
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You also lose eInk. Don't get me wrong, I ordered a Vox within an hour of it being announced, but I imagine that the bulk of my reading will continue to be on my Touch (unless my husband decides to take it over to replace his Kobo WiFi).
GIve the LCD reading a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. Use night mode in dim light and turn down the backlight for normal reading and you may just find it as comfortable as the E-Ink has been.

It's really variable from person to person, I truly don't enjoy E-Ink at all and have been waiting for an LCD device like this for a long time.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote