Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
POCKET EDGE ROM BOUNTY

DONOR> I am offering 50 USD BOUNTY for a new PE (and Big Edge if possible) ROM. It has to have proper recovery system and ability to transfer any page to e-ink from lcd at a touch of a button.
I invite other users to become donors so we can start a rom development for the community.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I hate to say this, but I don't think that there are any qualified developers with an EE/PE that would be able to do this(there may be one or two, but I'm not sure how good they are with Android), and if there are none have mentioned it... At this point it wouldn't matter how much we gave them, they would need a device and other motivation as well. That said, if anyone does manage to do it I'd be willing to send some cash their way, depending on my financial situation at the time...

Please don't forget that what you are asking for is a MONUMENTAL task, and would take at least a month for an experienced /team/ to complete. They would have even less to go on then entourage when they were making their own build of 2.2, and even entourage(who probably had more than one person working on ermine) took a lot of time and still never got rid of all the bugs. Frankly, I don't see such a thing happening in the near future, sorry.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Was this about finishing Ermine or adapting Honeycomb? I didn't buy the PE expecting it to run Honeycomb. I figured if it ran Froyo without barfing I'd be home free.

Now if a "team" wants to get Market working, that'd be really nice, but I'm not even desperate for THAT.

As Emusan indicated, the top "enthusiast" developers are focusing on more open platforms, like the Viewsonic, Samsung, HTC etc. Making a dent in the eDGe platform would be harder and benefit fewer people.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

you never know maybe an ex-employee could be interested. also the time scale is not realistic. I know Robot did a lot of progress in a very short time. I just hoped that with the discounted price maybe some EE would have gone to developers which would have loved to see more features to their device.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
paula-t
paula-t began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Well there is a point in this.

Developers have a very sporty attitude, appreciating challenges and opportunities, many times just for the joy of cracking things.

If prices go down, it may be that some developer picks up the glove of something "impossible" and devote some time to working on Ermine on an Edge.

(Also, some generous former engineer at Edge could want to throw us a bone with tips or clues about Ermine development. We can also use the mafia to persuade them to collaborate, but there might be a budgeting problem with this. Last time I checked the mafia job portal, they were not even bothering replying 50 bucks job posts.)

Nevertheless, as far as motivations and spirit goes, people who have a zest for these things can be inclined to do the most painstaking tasks just for the pleasure of it.

(On a different level, I can spend many hours in holidays time unknotting a mess of wool just for the pleasure of fixing something wrong, or laying out in the most precious terms a txt rare book I found at Gutemberg project, just for the pleasure of improving things. People not only does things for money or immediate profit.)

So this is possible. Developers are a special kind of people, I have come to know firsthand.
paula-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
mr_ed
Connoisseur
mr_ed began at the beginning.

Device: been e-reading since Handspring's first PDA
From your fingers to God's eyes. ;-)

-- Ed
mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
vicinc
Guru

If the entourage would have had a better attitude toward developers and making the device more prone to experimenting (like having standard recovery), probably they will be still here.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
They did seem to do a lot of things "their way" instead of a fairly straight forward way. If you look in the update.zip or even the development part of the old forums you can see them spending time locking people out and just generally not being helpful in any way.

Between their poor marketing and their insistence on not having a developer community I can see why things went south for them
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
vicinc
Guru

exactly. I would be great to have a standard recovery on their ermine rom. this could get some more people to experiment. any luck you could get me images for the mdt partition so I could see if i can restart my device. A u-boot with recovery may be ideal if we could get something like this.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
vicinc
Guru

wrong thread. deleted

Last edited by vicinc; 06-21-2011 at 08:10 AM.