Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
halipleumon
halipleumon began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs 350
sony prs 350: blank unresponsive screen, blinking orange light

Hello.
I'm in a pretty stressful situation right now. I'm a university student who has a 20 pg paper due tomorrow, and 2 other 20 pg papers due on apr 15th. I have my reader's memory almost filled with academic articles, along with notes and citations I intend to use.
This morning I went to turn on my reader, and the screen was completely unresponsive and is blank. The light next to the power switch blinks orange. When connected to an ac adapter, and reset, the light will turn red. If the power switch is slid, or held, the red is broken by the blinking orange light. The screen continues to display nothing.
When connected by USB to my computer, the device is not recognized.
My reader software is up to date. I have not left it on overnight (quite sure), and I've treated the device as if it were made of glass.
Does anyone know of any solutions?
I wasted a solid two hours in a frustrating attempt to work with the customer support staff over the phone with sony. I tried resetting it multiple times, and used various methods to turn it on. Is there anything else I can do to try and get the device to respond?
The online support sony offers is equally frustrating.
<-- that is me. please save me.

Sara
("happy" first post)
halipleumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
mazmac
mazmac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I hate to say it, but that sounds awfully like what happened to my reader. Here's my thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125946

I am currently waiting on a "suitable replacement", as it seems that a PRS-650 cannot be had for love or money. Or dire threats.

My advice would be to phone Sony ASAP and ask for a warranty replacement.

Good luck. (And don't bother fussing with your reader. Get on with your papers.)
mazmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
halipleumon

I'm sending it away tonight. This is the worst timing ever, and may teach me not to hoard all my eggs in one basket.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
mazmac
mazmac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Three weeks later, I'm still missing my reader.

There do seem to be plenty of 350s around, so you should (hopefully) see a replacement soon.
mazmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
halipleumon

I don't doubt that at all. This is my second reader I've sent for repair. The first experience went much easier (as the diagnosis was not a mystery), and I had my reader back in 7 days. But I will not be able to reclaim any of the notes I made, and that's the heartbreaker. It's just the most awful (or to the universe, the funniest) timing ever.
I'm sorry your prs 650 has taken so long. I've noticed that there are alot of unhappy forum posts regarding this device. In a way the option of a removable memory is nice, but I'm unsure as to whether this would protect notes/collections made. Either way, considering I've had to send more than one reader back despite making the original purchase Sep 30 I'm glad I chose not to invest in a 650. I hope you get a more reliable replacement soon!
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I realize that all of your friends must be telling you this belatedly, too, now that the calamity has already happened, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by halipleumon View Post
In a way the option of a removable memory is nice, but I'm unsure as to whether this would protect notes/collections made.
You have the ability to back up your notes every time you connect your PRS-350 to your computer.

My question is whether your notes existed in a form that could have been used without your PRS. Even if you back up your work on your Reader, from this point on, you should always make certain your notes can be viewed and edited on computer.

For that reason, I tend to enter and save the few notes I take on my Reader as plain text. I back them up regularly by drag and drop.

None of this helps you now, of course, which is awful and I feel for you. But important routines are sometimes learned in awful circumstances.

The other thing you could do is take notes on your smartphone instead (if you have one) and set up a weekly calendar reminder to send all your notes to your gmail account as attached files. So far, it has been easy for me to read my 350 with one hand and take notes on my Epic with the other.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote