Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Lightbulb B&N "Fun and Free eBook" promotion...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free...hors/379002210

Seems interesting. Note that it does NOT require a Nook. There's also a piece of downloadable "B&N Reader" software which works on iPhone, Blackberry, PC AND Mac.

The last two probably put you at a disadvantage for getting the "free" books though, since you have to actually SHOW the device to someone in a store to get the voucher.

You can get 1 voucher each week, for five weeks.

The titles in question seem to be major bestsellers, but its five specific ones. You don't really get a choice. The first two are "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" and "Storm Front". So they are old catalog, I guess, but only a few years.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So all I'd need then is to bring in my wife's iPod Touch and I can then get the free eBooks. Seems a bit silly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I wonder if simply going in and saying "I have a PC with the B&N software installed" would be enough, or whether you'd have a headache on your hands trying to persuade them.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So all I'd need then is to bring in my wife's iPod Touch and I can then get the free eBooks. Seems a bit silly.
Gets you in the store...where presumably some percentage of visitors would buy something physical.

Or, maybe they're going to collect data on the number of devices that show up?

I thought someone posted this week's book as a freebie for Kindle (or was it Kobo)? So if these are publisher-offered freebies, it seems even more likely that B&N is hoping you'll buy a dead-tree book if they dangle this carrot...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
This is just another reason I am glad I bought my nook!

Now when I go into B&N to continue reading in store Blue-Eyed Devil by Robert Parker, I can also get a free e-book. Add to this their discount and two for one Latte/Frappuccino coupons - who has it better.

Are they getting me into their store more frequently - yes
Will I most likely buy something while I am there - yes

I think its a brilliant marketing strategy.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
This week's has been a $1.99 promotion from the publisher in pretty much all the stores (even less at fictionwise, before the agency fiasco). I don't see that Storm Front has been offered elsewhere as a bargain, at least not in the last couple of years.

Note that there are several mobile devices, including laptops; presumably anything you can get the B&N branded ereader software on would qualify.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I went and got a code today and it was pretty painless. They had a huge Nook display as you walk in and two employees demonstrating the Nook. I asked for a code and she handed me a slip with it on there and she didn't ask to look at my iPod or anything like that. Now to download the book and see if it is in eReader format.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I expect a certain number of persons going IN the B&B store for this promo will exit the store witha shiny new Nook and/or accessories.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I went and got a code today and it was pretty painless. They had a huge Nook display as you walk in and two employees demonstrating the Nook. I asked for a code and she handed me a slip with it on there and she didn't ask to look at my iPod or anything like that. Now to download the book and see if it is in eReader format.
The book is in Epub format...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
The book is in Epub format...
Yeah I guess B&N has moved fully to that now. The last couple of books I have downloaded from them have been epub. The DRM is easy to remove though so I had no problem putting it on my Jetbook.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I've been getting about half and half. Definitely prefer the epub ones for conversion.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free...hors/379002210

Seems interesting. Note that it does NOT require a Nook. There's also a piece of downloadable "B&N Reader" software which works on iPhone, Blackberry, PC AND Mac.

The last two probably put you at a disadvantage for getting the "free" books though, since you have to actually SHOW the device to someone in a store to get the voucher.

You can get 1 voucher each week, for five weeks.

The titles in question seem to be major bestsellers, but its five specific ones. You don't really get a choice. The first two are "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" and "Storm Front". So they are old catalog, I guess, but only a few years.
Kind of pointless for me since B&N closed their brick & mortar store here 6 months ago and I'm not going to drive 40 miles just for a voucher.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
B&N Free Fridays?

Surprised not to see a thread on this. I dropped by my local B&N (Westgate, San Jose, CA) to pick up the access code for this week's "Fun and Free eBook", "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency".

The Nooks were on a new display positioned to be the first thing you see when you walk in. They are really going all-out with this promotion. Maybe the impending arrival of the Kobo at Borders is forcing them to ramp things up?

Anyways, a security guard near the door (I've always found it odd that this B&N has a dedicated security guard) saw me looking at the Nooks and immediately ran off to get somebody to give me a demo. A few minutes later the salesperson came by, and I told her I had already familiar with the Nook, and was interested in the free book. She gave me a voucher, and told me that they also had a regular "Free Fridays" program where they pick a different book every week to give away. She said in the past few months they've offered "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (drat - $4.50 I could've saved!), and a popular romance novel.

I saw a post about Phillip Margolin's "Executive Privilege" being available for free (May 14). (Saw too that it's also free from the Kindle store, alleviating me from having to do the Calibre shuffle)

Apparently these offers are regularly posted to B&N's blog and Twitter feed, so I thought I'd start a new thread to keep track of what's being offered. Good idea? Or better to start a new thread for each book? (I guess if you subscribe to this forum via e-mail, title in thread is better.)

[Edited because I buried the lede.]

Last edited by notyou; 05-22-2010 at 02:16 AM.
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 AM   #14
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
Historical listing, from @eBooksBN Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/eBooksBN) and their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/nookBN):

May 14 - Phillip Margolin's "Executive Privilege"
May 7 - "The Dangerous Dimension" by L. Ron Hubbard
Apr 29 - Debbie Macomber's "The Shop on Blossom Street"
Apr 23 - "The Last Drop" from L. Ron Hubbard (this one was/is free at Kobo)
Apr 16 - Alton Gansky's "The Incumbent"
Apr 9 - Renee Riva's young adult novel, "Saving Sailor"
Apr 2 - Nancy Warren's "Speed Dating"
Mar 26 - Jason Pinter's "The Hunters"
Mar 19 - Kim Harrison's "Dead Witch Walking"
Mar 12 - Brenda Jackson's "Irresistible Forces"
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
Spiffy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou View Post
Surprised not to see a thread on this.
Well, except for the thread already existing called "B&N "Fun and Free eBook promotion..."