Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cannot export/import in calibre, portable version 2.71.0

I previously had a Calibre library on both a Windows 7 as well as a Macbook Pro (both 64bit FWIW). Each had content the other didn't, so I went and downloaded the latest version of Calibre Portable to keep, or try to keep, one place where I could access titles. Yes. I realize that Calibre portable is Windows-only.

Now it was no doubt due to my ignorance which led to (as I recall) installing the portable version on a thumb drive and subsequently opening the Windows version on the desktop computer, but I soon discovered that *all* of the content in the Windows Calibre Library was gone!

I found metadata.db in the Windows desktop and attempted to use it as a source for perhaps loading the portable library but it didn't work.

At that point I was at a loss as to how to proceed, especially after noticing that the installed portable on the thumb drive had both a Calibre portable exe in addition to a Calibre exe file. Now, it may have been at this point that I double-clicked the Calibre exe while the portable was already open.

I then ejected the thumb drive and inserted it into my Macbook Pro so as to copy the OS X Calibre library onto it but prior to that I deleted the Calibre portable folder in my Macbook Pro.

After copying the contents of the Macbook Pro Calibre Library I dismounted it, re-downloaded calibre portable in Windows but did not install at that point.
Once the thumb drive was successfully visible in Windows I double-clicked calibre portable.exe. At that time I was aware that only one instance of Calibre should be open and running. When I right-clicked on the Calibre icon in the Calibre toolbar and selected import/export (in the hope that somehow I would be able to populate the thumb drive with previously saved content) I saw an alert windows which read:

ERROR: Cannot export/import
- You are running calibre portable, all calibre data is already in the calibre portable folder. Export/Import is unavailable.

To say the least it's troubling to lose over a gigabyte of previously saved documents. While I tried and was able to add a couple of titles to portable manually, one at a time, I'd really like to know if or how it might be possible to 'batch load' more than one.

Other than that desire, I'm hoping against hope that somehow I would be able to find and recover my previous Windows 7 Calibre Library.
phunnylinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...libre-is-blank
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the prompt reply, Kovid. I had found the troubleshooting process you linked to; I even printed it out but with negative results. I did not record or save the various error messages generated when attempting to enlist the then-existing metadata.db file. I recall that the previous size of the Windows 7 Calibre Library was in excess of 1GB. I suspected something wasn't right when (again, I suspect, after having opened both portable.exe and calibre.exe) I noticed the metadata.db file size of approx 128Kb.

Perhaps it was my lack of knowledge when opening more than one version of Calibre. If that's the case I blame myself, as it appears that at this point I might never be able to find, much less save the previous Windows Library.
phunnylinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your first step is to find a folder with a metadata.db in it whose size is 1GB.

If/when you find that folder, all you have to do in calibre is point it to that folder, as described in the FAQ I linked to.

If you cannot find such a folder, there is nothing calibre can do.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portable, portable calibre