Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #15136
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading How Christianity Changed the World on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	christian.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	98989  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #15137
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I abandoned City & the City after about 40 pages. The jerky run-on sentences did me in. Also, I felt I was outside looking in. Overall, to me it had that low budget Columbo feel.
That explains it... I love Columbo.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #15138
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So do I.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #15139
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh just one more thing....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #15140
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Half-way through The Cold War Swap, and loving it. Meanwhile, I read (via Audible), CJ Cherryh's The Invader, book #2 of the Foreigner series. This is a strange series in some ways. Long passages that don't really have much happening, but the main character, Bren Cameron, doing a stream of consciousness angst. Which usually I would avoid like the plague. But here, it works for me. The world Ms. Cherryh has created is compelling, different, and interesting, and the characters are consistent. I'm going to read right through this series, though I wish #2-6 were available as eBooks not just Audible books. (And yes, at some point, I had them all as pBooks, but they're long gone. )
Finished Cold War Swap, moved on to Cast a Yellow Shadow. I enjoyed Cold War Swap a lot. While a product of its time, it's one that has stood the test of time. The characters are still cynical and interesting, and Ross Thomas is a superb storyteller.

Also, finished CJ Cherryh's Invader, moving on to Inheritor.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #15141
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Just finished Charon's Claw (Neverwinter book 3), time for A Memory of Light!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #15142
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
So do I.
Apache
Add my name to the list. I used to love watching and reading all of the Columbo stories. I've got a couple of the old TV series stored away on a hard drive somewhere.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #15143
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I abandoned City & the City after about 40 pages. The jerky run-on sentences did me in. Also, I felt I was outside looking in. Overall, to me it had that low budget Columbo feel.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
So do I.
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Add my name to the list. I used to love watching and reading all of the Columbo stories. I've got a couple of the old TV series stored away on a hard drive somewhere.

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh just one more thing....
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #15144
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Brandon Mull and Blake Crouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
After getting up to chapter 7 in Blood Cross, I got sick and tired of the overall "Romance Novel" feel to it. Not to be too negative but I've abandoned it. This is definitely an unusual move for me and I was especially surprised at myself becaus I'd already read the first book in the series and had enjoyed it. Oh well!

Anyway now I've begun Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. It's the first of a 5 book series of YA novels by the same name. I'm looking to decide if I should purchase the series for my Grandson's Fire as a birthday present this Summer.
Well, that was a fun read. I'll be purchasing the 5 book series package this summer for my grandson's birthday.

Someone in another thread mentioned Pines by Blake Crouch, I investigated and found it in the Amazon Prime free library, so I grabbed it for my January book.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-08-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #15145
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

Next, I'll conclude the Escape From Furnace series with Execution by Alexander Gordon Smith.
It was a nice conclusion if somewhat expected. One of my fastest reads. Overall, well written and plotted story. It doesn't appear to be very popular in the US, hopefully, it is more so in the author's native UK. Rated C+ [3 stars].

Next up is my latest purchase Murder Most Holy by Paul Doherty. (As opposed to pdurrant who lets 5 years pass before reading, I read all my latest buys. )

My first with this author.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #15146
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read Frederik Pohl's The Cool War. Good, but a little cheesy at times. I don't think the mystillarce (mystery, thriller, farce) is a genre I like that much. This one read just a little too campy at times. 6 out of 9.

Roddy Doyle's The Woman Who Walked into Doors was brilliant. Roddy's usual choppy and somewhat disjoint style to start, but this book drags you in and is a visceral and blunt view into an ugly and terrifying subject. 9 out of 9.

I started Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger. If first 25 biting, sarcastic, dark and scathing pages is any indication, I am going to love this book.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #15147
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

I started Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger. If first 25 biting, sarcastic, dark and scathing pages is any indication, I am going to love this book.
Have that one on my Kindle. Let us know how you go with it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #15148
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The Greater Trumps is by Charles W.S.Williams, a close friend of C.S.Lewis. He too was a member of The Inklings and he Lewis and Tolkien formed a triumvirate which has given memorable fantasy novels. Unlike the other two, Williams sets his novels in the everyday world and subjects his characters to an invasion of the Supernatural. In The Greater Trumps he deals with the Tarot and its religious and supernatural power.

His writing is impassioned, subtle, often powerfully subtle in tone--and sometimes poetic in beauty. His characterisation is more uneven and I don't think that some of his main characters are particularly sympathetic--though he intends them to be so. TGT is the fifth of his seven major novels and the next one, Descent into Hell, is considered his masterpiece, but TGT is well worth reading.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 01-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #15149
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Brandon Mull, Blake Crouch, M. Night Shyamalan and Dennis Batchelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've recently finished The Pines by Blake Crouch and really enjoyed it. The basic premise is that a Secret Service Agent wakes in a field in a little town called Wayward Pines with no real memory of how he got there or why, and all of his attempts to discover what has happened and to try to leave the town are frustrated by the people and the terrain. The reveal, when it finally comes, is a doozy. A fairly quick and very satisfying read, which I got free via the Amazon Prime lending library.
Quote:
Well, that was a fun read. I'll be purchasing the 5 book series package this summer for my grandson's birthday.

Someone in another thread mentioned Pines by Blake Crouch, I investigated and found it in the Amazon Prime free library, so I grabbed it for my January book.
The quote at the top is the one I mentioned above and is from another thread. It got me interested in Pines.

I finished Pines and was blown away by it!! So suspenseful. A great book! And it's going to be a 2014 fox miniseries called Wayward Pines directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

Just started Soul Identity by Dennis Batchelder. I downloaded it as a freebie [it still is a freebie] from Amazon over a year ago. I found a website called AuthorGraph where you can request a personalized page of any ebook you have from any registered author. I searched and found Dennis Batchelder, so I requested one from him. Here it is:
Click image for larger version

Name:	personalize.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	99106
In his short personal message he thanked me for reading it, so I thought I'd better read it soon, like now!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #15150
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
The quote at the top is the one I mentioned above and is from another thread. It got me interested in Pines.

I finished Pines and was blown away by it!! So suspenseful. A great book! And it's going to be a 2014 fox miniseries called Wayward Pines directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
Glad you liked it Alan. I'm looking forward to the TV show, and am also going to try some more of Mr. Crouch's work in the near future.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote