Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #46
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I really want to get away from Windows and Windows updates and viruses.
Buy a Mac!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #47
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
I really want to get away from Windows and Windows updates and viruses.
Use Linux?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #48
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
why are viruses a big issue anymore? I havent had a virus on windows for many many years
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A lot of the netbooks are running a version of Linux called Ubuntu, esply the cheaper ones. Its lighter on the hardware then either Win8 or Mac OSX so you can usally find them in the sub $300 price range. Can then use LibreOffice (used to be known as Open Office until Oracle bought it and ran everyone off) to do most of your Office kind of work.

Still.. I prefer a Mac.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #50
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
why are viruses a big issue anymore? I havent had a virus on windows for many many years
I had a nasty one just this year on win7 that took me several days and many anti-virus programs to get rid of.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #51
VydorScope
Wizard

I work in the IT department at my university, I assure you all flavors of virus/trojan/hijackers/etc are alive and well. I have members of my team that do nothing but fight them on our LAN and WLAN. Mac, Linux, Windows...they all have their issues that we have to fight in this domain.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #52
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
The Chrome OS on the Chromebook has improved but still has a nagging offline problem.

What it will do very well is browse with the Chrome browser and gmail.

It has some apps for a lot of other functions both online and offline BUT is very limited when it comes to hooking up to hardware devices like a printer in the outside world WITHOUT
a 2nd computer with an ordinary OS or
a special "cloud" printer or scanner or the like
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #53
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
The last one I had was an Atari ST virus that spread via floppies. I've never had a virus on a modern PC.

Edit: at least that I know of ....
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #54
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I may be too late to answer, but I bought a netbook for writing and emailing on the go. It wasn't worth it. The keyboard was cramped. I could do email just fine, but writing anything long (and for me I mean a page or two of text or editing a document) was tedious. I think if I had bought one with a full sized keyboard it would have helped. I was running windows on it so that it would be compatible with my laptops, but the machine didn't have enough of anything to really run windows/word. It was fine for an email machine but that was about it.

So my two cents is that if you do buy one, you'll want one that is large enough to make use of--and powerful enough to run whatever programs you know you'll need. I erred on the side of thinking the machine was "just enough" and while it did run windows, it was slow, locked up a lot, couldn't run more than one program at a time...the screen was small so when surfing the internet sometimes it would wrap things around funny and make screens almost unreadable...in short I hated the thing. I can type emails on my Kindle. Buy the smallest laptop you can find...and it would probably be cheaper and better all around.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:02 AM   #55
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I may be too late to answer, but I bought a netbook for writing and emailing on the go. It wasn't worth it. The keyboard was cramped. I could do email just fine, but writing anything long (and for me I mean a page or two of text or editing a document) was tedious. I think if I had bought one with a full sized keyboard it would have helped. I was running windows on it so that it would be compatible with my laptops, but the machine didn't have enough of anything to really run windows/word. It was fine for an email machine but that was about it.

So my two cents is that if you do buy one, you'll want one that is large enough to make use of--and powerful enough to run whatever programs you know you'll need. I erred on the side of thinking the machine was "just enough" and while it did run windows, it was slow, locked up a lot, couldn't run more than one program at a time...the screen was small so when surfing the internet sometimes it would wrap things around funny and make screens almost unreadable...in short I hated the thing. I can type emails on my Kindle. Buy the smallest laptop you can find...and it would probably be cheaper and better all around.
You didn't say what size your netbook was. I am guessing 10.1 or smaller.

They call different computers netbooks.
Dell calls a Latitude D430 12.1inch a netbook now but used to call it a laptop.
I am now thinking that the chromebook is too limited though I would like to get a 200 dollar NEW machine.
I can get a USED Latitude D430 12.1 inch or even a USED Latitude D630 14.1 inch, either one for less than 200 dollars on Amazon or Ebay. Only 30 day warranty at most though.

I may do that because my current netbook is not doing so well.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #56
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Only 30 day warranty at most though.

If you get it via ebay you can get a Square Trade warranty pretty cheap and I have used them for years. They always treated me well.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #57
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
You didn't say what size your netbook was. I am guessing 10.1 or smaller.

They call different computers netbooks.
Dell calls a Latitude D430 12.1inch a netbook now but used to call it a laptop.
I am now thinking that the chromebook is too limited though I would like to get a 200 dollar NEW machine.
I can get a USED Latitude D430 12.1 inch or even a USED Latitude D630 14.1 inch, either one for less than 200 dollars on Amazon or Ebay. Only 30 day warranty at most though.

Yes, it was only a 7 inch screen. Our neighbor has the dell and it's definitely more reasonable. I typed on it and it's either a full keyboard or nearly so. That one worked pretty well, but the thing is most of the netbooks we looked at were so stripped down (hardware-wise) that by the time you add memory and/or possibly another hard drive...your cost is somewhere around what a cheap laptop DOES cost. The ones not stripped down were double a good laptop.

Some of the larger ones, as you said, are pretty much laptops. When we finally gave up on the netbook, I just bought a laptop -- it was just under 300--about 280 shipped on one of the back-to-school deals. We didn't have to add memory or anything and it has a huge hard drive. It's about 15 inches, full keyboard, etc. It's nowhere near as light as that silly netbook was, but it has the functions I need when I need them.

I should have bought 2 of the things...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #58
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Yes, it was only a 7 inch screen. Our neighbor has the dell and it's definitely more reasonable. I typed on it and it's either a full keyboard or nearly so. That one worked pretty well, but the thing is most of the netbooks we looked at were so stripped down (hardware-wise) that by the time you add memory and/or possibly another hard drive...your cost is somewhere around what a cheap laptop DOES cost. The ones not stripped down were double a good laptop.

Some of the larger ones, as you said, are pretty much laptops. When we finally gave up on the netbook, I just bought a laptop -- it was just under 300--about 280 shipped on one of the back-to-school deals. We didn't have to add memory or anything and it has a huge hard drive. It's about 15 inches, full keyboard, etc. It's nowhere near as light as that silly netbook was, but it has the functions I need when I need them.

I should have bought 2 of the things...
Never buy 2. When the first gives out usually, there will be lots of new great things, especially in cars and electronics. If you have a second ready to go, you don't have an excuse to get the next new thing.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #59
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
If you get it via ebay you can get a Square Trade warranty pretty cheap and I have used them for years. They always treated me well.

Doggone.

I thought those were only for new computers and equipment.

They do used too?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #60
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Doggone.

I thought those were only for new computers and equipment.

They do used too?

Used only if on EBay. That is how they got their start was warranties for ebay sales.