Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Digital TV receiver for WiFi network

I thought I'd look into a receiver for digital TV that would connect to my WiFi LAN that would allow me to watch TV on any device. When I search for these things I end up with a lot of stuff that are geared towards streaming from the computer to a TV screen.
What should I be looking for?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The closest thing to what you're asking for is the Slingbox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/09/te...ces/index.html
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1424558/is...d-right-for-me

Depending on your needs, you could ask aroun at avsforum.com. They're the mobileread of home video.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Are you looking for server software to stream Digital TV from your computer to your devices?
Try looking for "Double Twist", "Air Sync" for Android, Air Video Server for iOS or "PlayOn" for both Android and iOS.
Play On is the best one I've found but there are limitations as far as shows allowed with your location (ie: US shows if you are not in the US). It's a paid app, either by buying it outright or getting a yearly subscription. They have a free trial period...
http://www.playon.tv/buy/
You can watch your shows from anywhere on any device as long as the server is running on the pc and you have a wifi/3G/4G connection. Many scripts are available to add channels/shows to your menu in particular at this site (films, JapanTV, Russian TV etc):
http://playonscripts.com/?w=newest&page=3
This is all for web content, not OTA or Cable...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-17-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: more details
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The closest thing to what you're asking for is the Slingbox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/09/te...ces/index.html
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1424558/is...d-right-for-me

Depending on your needs, you could ask aroun at avsforum.com. They're the mobileread of home video.
Hi knew there had to be an equivalent, there is just so much junk out there today it's impossible to know w where quality is found. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Are you looking for server software to stream Digital TV from your computer to your devices?
Try looking for "Double Twist", "Air Sync" for Android, Air Video Server for iOS or "PlayOn" for both Android and iOS.
Play On is the best one I've found but there are limitations as far as shows allowed with your location (ie: US shows if you are not in the US). It's a paid app, either by buying it outright or getting a yearly subscription. They have a free trial period...
http://www.playon.tv/buy/
I'm looking for something that receives a digital tv signal, preferably small and portable, then I can access that device over WiFi and view the content on a device of my choice.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'm looking for something that receives a digital tv signal, preferably small and portable, then I can access that device over WiFi and view the content on a device of my choice.
Web content or OTA (or Cable)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Primarily OTA, I would like to be able to bring it along on trips. Instead of staying at hotels I thought I would use AirBnB.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
This also sounds like it might fit your needs, a SiliconDust HDHomeRun. There's more description here, including settings for OTA and not streamed from the computer.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The HDHomeRun looks interesting. I see a lot of client-apps for mobile devices mentioned, but I wonder what the options would be for simply using it to wirelessly deliver content to the TVs around your house. Would you have to connect a PC to every TV?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Looks
It uses a 5V power adapter, so world power should not be a issue (A localized adapter would eliminate the need for prong adapters)

DiapDealer
A quick read of the manufacturers site make me believe this is intended to be(dual core fo HD) PC required (VLC is mentioned). If you have a TV, why would you need to stream OTA?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
This also sounds like it might fit your needs, a SiliconDust HDHomeRun. There's more description here, including settings for OTA and not streamed from the computer.
That one seems nimble and portable. I guess you can connect an external antenna where the coaxial connector is.
Funny thing, clicking on the link it opened in IE10 under Win8 so the video won't play since there is no support for flash. Hence, I copied the link into Chrome, but there was no video. Go figure.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If you have a TV, why would you need to stream OTA?
Because you don't have 75ohm from your antenna split to every single room/location you might ever conceivably want to put a TV?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Lounge. This has nothing to do with reading or reading devices, and is therefore inappropriate for "General Discussions".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I have this. Bought it through Woot on sale. It works great. I love it. It does require connection to the network though.

a different alternative is

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr1950.html

which I had before the Homerun and connects to the computer by USB

I"ve had good luck with both of them.

They do of course both require an antenna.

I use Windows Media Center to watch/record.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-18-2012 at 05:19 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I have this. Bought it through Woot on sale. It works great. I love it. It does require connection to the network though.

a different alternative is

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr1950.html

which I had before the Homerun and connects to the computer by USB

I"ve had good luck with both of them.

They do of course both require an antenna.

I use Windows Media Center to watch/record.
So you can't bring it along and watch something on a trip?