Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Hendrik Boom
Hendrik Boom began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
My metadata.calibre file is damaged on my kobo

My metadata.calibre file is damaged on my kobo. I looked at it; it hums along nicely until it gets to

{
"rating": null,
"author_sort": "Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan",
"isbn": null,
"series": null,
"application_id": null,
"publication_type": null,

whereupon it stops. Is there any way of getting calibre to regenerate it? When I try connecting with callibre, it just complains that I have a read-only file system. I don't. Linux gives me write permission on the device.

All my books are either in the 100 free ones, or are safely stored elsewhere. But is there something less drastic that wiping the kobo clean and starting over?

-- hendrik
Hendrik Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Linux mounts the device as read only if it notices an issue on the drive. You could try powering off and restarting the device but you will likely need to run a scan disk. Linux can do one with fsck.vfat or something like that.
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Hendrik Boom
Hendrik Boom began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Linux mounts the device as read only if it notices an issue on the drive. You could try powering off and restarting the device but you will likely need to run a scan disk. Linux can do one with fsck.vfat or something like that.
Yes. That was the problem. A corrupt file system. All fixed now. And the command really was called fsck.vfat, but I had to give it the -r option before it would actually fix anything. After that I could delete the metadata file, which had contained a corrupt cluster.

I hadn't figured out that Linux had really mounted it read-only, even though the mount command reported that it was mounted rw, and ls told me everything was writable. Obscure.

Thanks.

-- hendrik
Hendrik Boom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, metadata