Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
monkbythesea
monkbythesea began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile
Changing "Save Template" not working?

Hello all. Okay, I've been reading and learning Calibre this week and I just have one question/problem before I got everything working perfect.

How come when I change the "save template" under "saving books" tab, it does not change the folder structure. Is there something else I need to do?

I am running:
Win 7 x64
Calibre vs. 0.7.12
......attempted this on 2 machines with these specs and still no luck. Installed/unistalled Calibre a couple times on both, and still no luck.

I changed the "save template" string to:
{tags}/{series}/{authors}/{title}

It may seem strange why I want it in this order, but there is actually a method to the madness. But whatever the order I chnage it to, the changes are not taking effect and they are not taking effect on 2 separate PC's. Any ideas?

I wouldnt care, because on the desktop I use Calibre to broswer my collection, but the reader I use on my windows mobile device requires a specific folder structure. And again, regardless of why, the changes are not taking effect after i change the "save template" and hit "ok." I tried restaring the app, restaring the 2 pc's, uninstalling/installing Calibre, and still no luck.
monkbythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkbythesea View Post
How come when I change the "save template" under "saving books" tab, it does not change the folder structure. Is there something else I need to do?

I changed the "save template" string to:
{tags}/{series}/{authors}/{title}

I wouldnt care, because on the desktop I use Calibre to broswer my collection, but the reader I use on my windows mobile device requires a specific folder structure.
First, the Save template under Saving books is used when you use the Save to Disk feature.

I tried it and I got the following result.

Code:
\Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Witches\Elemental Witches\Anya Bast\Witch Heart.epub
It seems to combine all tags for a given book into one directory but the rest worked as expected.

Are you using the Save to Disk feature?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
monkbythesea

Question

Thanks Dwathny! It worked. It was the last step, the "Save to Disk" feature that I did not do. Noe folders have the hierarchy I specified.

However, the "save to disk" feature is a MANUAL one. I assumed after I importing a book into Calibre and editing the metadata, that the respective changes to the folder hierarchy would take effect AUTOMATICALLY or athe least a new folder would be made and the old one deleted in the default Calibre Library folder. If I want Calibre to change to original imported folder it makes with the correct information then i have to manually specify that folder location to save to and then manually delete the old folder?

Is this the process a Calibre user follows to edit/organize an book:
1. specify/customize "save template"........only do 1st time
2. import book into Calibre
3. edit metadata and add covers
4. "save to disk"...........in my case, I save it to the default Calibre file wherein there is already the original of this file with incorrect folder hierarchy and names.
5. Delete original folder, only edited folder remains..................this can only be done manually?

If so, then so be it. I'm still learning and just thought that it was somehow automated and I was doing someting wrong.

Last edited by monkbythesea; 08-02-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The "save to Disk" feature should only be used to EXPORT a file from Calibre. Using it to save books back to the Calibre internal library filestore can cause complications as the calibre database and filstore get out of sync.

Note that if you change metadata such as author or title calibre will automatically move the book to another folder in it's own filestore. You have no control over the names used in the calibre internal library files.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
monkbythesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The "save to Disk" feature should only be used to EXPORT a file from Calibre. Using it to save books back to the Calibre internal library filestore can cause complications as the calibre database and filstore get out of sync.

Note that if you change metadata such as author or title calibre will automatically move the book to another folder in it's own filestore. You have no control over the names used in the calibre internal library files.
Thank you for clearing that up. I guess i just need to leave the Calibre internal library alone. The eReader I use for my Windows Mobile phone already has a folder structure that i was trying to get Calibre to use. Using Calibre on dekstop may not require you to ever use your folder library to access your books, but the same is not true on my device. It loads books exactly as the folder is named and it does not recognize tags, metadata, etc. And unfortunately is the only reader that has the features I like. So i was trying to get the two folder strcutures as similar as possible. Though it looks as though I can't, I think you guys have led me in right direction. I will leave Calibre internal libray alone and use the "save to disk" feature to save books onto my device with the "save template" adjusted so that the folder structure is what my device eRreader requires.

So thank you everyone for all the help!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The eReader I use for my Windows Mobile phone already has a folder structure that i was trying to get Calibre to use. Using Calibre on dekstop may not require you to ever use your folder library to access your books, but the same is not true on my device.
When you attach your phone to the computer is it seen as a mounted USB drive and given a drive letter? If it does, try the connect to folder feature and use the Save Template under Send to Device tab to adjust how they are sent to your phone.

Quote:
I will leave Calibre internal libray alone
Please do. I'm glad itimpi jumped in to save you from yourself.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
monkbythesea

Smile

Yeah, I am glad Itimpi jumped in too. I started all sorts of crashes and problems which I suspect was due to my tinkering with the internal library. I cleaned it up and now all is back to normal.

It was a surprise to me to find Calibre does not recognize my device as drive when I try to "Save to disk." I had to save to desktop then copy over. It was annoying to go thru that entire process, so I started tinkering around to find out why and I could not believe the answer was so simple. I had my windows mobile connected via active sync which is Windows syncing software. You have 2 choices with windows when a device is connected:
1. sync via active sync
2. sync as disk drive
As you may guess, I had to select sync as disk drive for Calibre to recognize my device as a disk drive. This I think should be a sticky in FAQs for windows mobile users because most have thiers setup to sync via Activesync. Or maybe I was just making a noob mistake. Anyways, "connect to folder" feature is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And just discovered "content server" feature too. AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!! Thank you for the tip Dwantny!!!

Also, thanks for all your help with my "Save template" problems. Now the "save template" I modified outputs the folders just the way my device eReader needs which I was nice. Only thing I wish is that you could make the "Author Sort" AUTOMATICALLY reverse the authors name so that my "Save template" would generate a folder labeled "authors last name 1st/1st name last." I did not find a way to do that, so had to do each book manually. My save template is {tag}/{author_sort}/{title}. Fetching metadata online fills out "Author" box with author's 1st name 1st/last name last. Be nice if the "Author_Sort" box automatically reverse this. It would be one less field you have to edit. But, all in all, I'm very happy, and have imported 175 items into my library, edited most of them, and sent about half to my device. I liked the simplicity of Adobe Digital Editions very much, but the features of Calibre are just too rich too ignore and this community is one of the most helpful forums I have ever used.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
. Fetching metadata online fills out "Author" box with author's 1st name 1st/last name last. Be nice if the "Author_Sort" box automatically reverse this. It would be one less field you have to
Normal behaviour IS to reverse the Author fields unless set explicitly. However it is not always set correctly in the existing metadata.

One trick is to select multiple books and then click on Edit Metadata to bring up the bulk metadata edit dialog. If you simply click the 'Set Author Sort Automatically' checkbox and nothing else followed by OK then Calibre will apply the author->author-sort transform to all the selected books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
One trick is to select multiple books and then click on Edit Metadata to bring up the bulk metadata edit dialog. If you simply click the 'Set Author Sort Automatically' checkbox and nothing else followed by OK then Calibre will apply the author->author-sort transform to all the selected books.
Nice trick.

So you could select the entire library, go to Edit Metadata, check the Set Author Sort Automatically box then say OK, go out for pizza and when you got back the entire library would now have in the author_sort fields the reverse of what was in the author field?

As it turns out my entire library is nice and clean but this could help many folks fighting the battle.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Nice trick.

So you could select the entire library, go to Edit Metadata, check the Set Author Sort Automatically box then say OK, go out for pizza and when you got back the entire library would now have in the author_sort fields the reverse of what was in the author field?
Wow! Are you running on a P2-400 ?

I would not make it to the front door, before a 100+ book Bulk update was DONE on my slowly P4 2.8 (it is XP that slows it down)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Wow! Are you running on a P2-400 ?
I live on that fine edge... the trailing edge of the technology window, but a fine edge non the less.