Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #46
IHeartKobo
IHeartKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hrm.... wait for update or go exchange kobo? I was actually debating going back to the original one... the one i never had any trouble with...

thanks for your help!
IHeartKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #47
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartKobo View Post
Hrm.... wait for update or go exchange kobo? I was actually debating going back to the original one... the one i never had any trouble with...

thanks for your help!
In my personal experience, the Wifi Kobo is a much better reader, in terms of Battery life. I'm not having the Battery problems that you seem to be having.

What I do is Reset the Kobo to Factory default without being plugged into USB. After the reset the Kobo should update itself to 1.7.1 if you already upgraded. Plug the Kobo in and leave it to charge. Don't click either the "Keep Reading" or "Manage Library". Just stay at that screen until your light changes to Blue. Sync your reader and keep track of your battery life. If it is still very short then go ahead and exchange.

If you think your going to be unhappy with another Kobo Wifi you should be able to "downgrade" to a Kobo. I would ask first before though, just to make sure.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #48
IHeartKobo

I tried that already and it wouldn't update. I reset to factory 2 times and even using ctrl+shift+u I cannot get it to update again. I guess trying another wifi wont be so bad for now... as long as I dont have problems. When it WAS working I was really happy with it...
Old 10-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #49
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You are not alone. I'd suggest waiting to see if the 1.7.2 update (which, as far as I know, may still be released tonight) fixes it. 1.7.1 was pretty much a disaster for many people--but they jumped on a fix fast.
Hi Taming, Just wanted to clear something up.

There are no further firmware fixes planned at this point. 1.7.1 is the latest and greatest... curious if you meant the desktop application? We do have 1.7.2 planned for the desktop application and that should be coming out imminently (next couple of days).

IHeartKobo,

We haven't seen any more issues with the battery life using the 1.7.1 firmware. Let's see what we can do to help you out though... first off the stupid question: When you did the full charge, was it until the blue light had come on for the battery?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #50
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi Taming, Just wanted to clear something up.

There are no further firmware fixes planned at this point. 1.7.1 is the latest and greatest... curious if you meant the desktop application? We do have 1.7.2 planned for the desktop application and that should be coming out imminently (next couple of days).
Wow. I assumed you guys would be fixing the shutdown bug seeing as 1.7.1 made the problem worse. I guess we can also take this post as a definite NO to being able to jump to a page in a book, which is plain weird as it's the most requested and much needed feature on an ereader that is known for its database corruptions (Kobo 1).
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #51
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
Wow. I assumed you guys would be fixing the shutdown bug seeing as 1.7.1 made the problem worse. I guess we can also take this post as a definite NO to being able to jump to a page in a book, which is plain weird as it's the most requested and much needed feature on an ereader that is known for its database corruptions (Kobo 1).
Should have been clearer

We aren't planning on pushing out another immediate firmware update right away. Future features and fixes are always on the roadmap. Didn't mean to give the impression that there wouldn't be ANY more firmware updates.. doh.

Sorry about that.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #52
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I was talking about the fix for the desktop version 1.7.1.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #53
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I was talking about the fix for the desktop version 1.7.1.
That's what I thought it may have been. The fixes are targeted to come out in the couple of days.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #54
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
A general comment here. I keep downloading the desktop and finding it's the same as the one I downloaded on Oct 26. Your download page should have the date the download was made available, and a unique name for the exe (including version would be ideal).

And with the major problems with it, should you not be replacing it with the previous version until the replaced one is available?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #55
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
I guess we can also take this post as a definite NO to being able to jump to a page in a book, which is plain weird as it's the most requested and much needed feature on an ereader that is known for its database corruptions (Kobo 1).
Most requested? Really? More than better PDF handling? More than on-device library management?

Much needed? Can't say I've desired it even once since June 17th.

Known for database corruptions? Hmm, the VAST majority of kobo users (including me) have never had database issues. Being as SQLite is fully ACID, database corruptions are pretty darn unlikely. The complaints I've seen have been pretty much all ID-10-T errors...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #56
AuroraRob
AuroraRob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi - Sony PRS600
My battery issues have seemed to have disappeared with the latest update. I do have the weird power issue but I can usually find things to do while I wait 30 seconds for the unit to power up. With the support from the members of this forum and from the Kobo reps, I am happy with and keeping my Kobo Wifi.
AuroraRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #57
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
With my Classic Kobo I often head out to a coffee shop for a drink and a read. I use the technique of pressing the power on button while ordering
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #58
IHeartKobo

SameerH - Yes, I did full charges until the light changed. Always do. Now my desktop is saying 1.7.1 and my kobo itseld is saying 1.7 and will not update further. I have to manually shut it off because sleep mode stays on forever draining the battery. wi-fi is off etc....

Gonna try and sxchange tomorrow I think and mya just go back to Kobo 1...... if they have any left. They seem to have all mysteriously disapeared
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #59
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartKobo View Post
SameerH - Yes, I did full charges until the light changed. Always do. Now my desktop is saying 1.7.1 and my kobo itseld is saying 1.7 and will not update further. I have to manually shut it off because sleep mode stays on forever draining the battery. wi-fi is off etc....

Gonna try and sxchange tomorrow I think and mya just go back to Kobo 1...... if they have any left. They seem to have all mysteriously disapeared
This points to defective hardware (bad battery?) the current during sleep mode (which turns wifi off) should give you many days of sleeping.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #60
IHeartKobo

They have put a wifi kobo and an original kobo aside for me now... I will try another wifi and then if I run into problems I will go back to the oringial. No black original in stock unfortunately though.

Now... with the new wifi kobo... i ALWAYS keep wifi off. No intentions of using it actually. My question is this... once in sleep mode, how long should it take before it turns off on it's own? Right now it remains in sleep mode for 3 days before dying but never turns off. WIth the new one, what should i be looking for??

Thanks