Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #61
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, I plan on upgrading to the NC2. Well worth the extra $50 over the Fire.
You think it's significant enough to upgrade from the Nookcolor though?

I guess if I watched video more I would find the Nookcolor Tablet more appealing.

seajewel, I was speaking more of the earlier models. I will probably only buy refurbished eink devices from here on out. Seems like they're experiencing price drops constantly.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #62
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Apparently you can get a software update for your current Nook STR and take advantage of "Best Text." So who is going to try that out and report back???

eP
Just updated. It's definitely faster with the page turns, really like that. A fair bit crisper too with the text. Pretty happy with this update.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #63
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Lenovo A1 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If you can actually download movies to the Kindle Fire and not just stream them, that's the winner. Sorry, Netflix is great, but ideally I want to download a movie if I'm traveling by car, boat, plane, train. You can't download movies to the NOOK. You could if you had access to the Android Market.
Yes, streaming can suck if WiFi is poor!
LesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #64
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Although you can't download movies, TV shows, and YouTube videos, you can side-load them to an SD card and watch them on a Nook Color. I use the MovieGallery app to display them (it's only $0.99) and makes a nice enhancement over the standard Android movie gallery display. I've been collecting movies for 30 years. First on BetaMax, then VCR, then DVD...I lost some of my favorites in all the transitions to different rendering devices and finally gave up collecting movies with the impending change, yet again, to Blue Ray. I refuse to buy them over again. But since I got my Nook Color I've started buying DVDs again.
Sweet!!!! I would do that with my favorite TV episodes I own on DVD. Can you share how do this, if you don't mind? Thank you!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #65
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
My page turn buttons on my STR are not stiff. I have to wonder though, even if some have buttons that are stiff, are we really talking about all that much pressure needing to be applied or are some people just looking for something to ding the device over? Eh, maybe, maybe not.

Well, since a lot of ereader owners are 'older', that can be an issue. I know my grip strength is not what it was after I broke my wrist a couple of years ago. I can only imagine the problems someone with arthritis or other hand problems might have with stiff buttons.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #66
LesRS
Enthusiast

I would buy both, if I had the funds. I like the fact that you can root these with a N2A card.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #67
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like the team up with Marvel for comics and graphic novels on the new Nook as well. Nice. The question remains, "will it be rooted easily?"
Old 11-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #68
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Well, since a lot of ereader owners are 'older', that can be an issue. I know my grip strength is not what it was after I broke my wrist a couple of years ago. I can only imagine the problems someone with arthritis or other hand problems might have with stiff buttons.
Excellent point and one I had not considered.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #69
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
You think it's significant enough to upgrade from the Nookcolor though?

I guess if I watched video more I would find the Nookcolor Tablet more appealing.
I do. Videos are an important feature for me and the stronger CPU and the increase in both RAM and onboard storage are worth it.

Besides, I planned on getting my son (and grandson) a tablet anyway. So I can give them my NC and upgrade. I'll undo the root on the NC, restore it to stock, then add CM7 on a card for a dual boot. That'll give them the B&N experience plus access to Android Market. Best of both worlds.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #70
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
If you can actually download movies to the Kindle Fire and not just stream them, that's the winner. Sorry, Netflix is great, but ideally I want to download a movie if I'm traveling by car, boat, plane, train. You can't download movies to the NOOK. You could if you had access to the Android Market.
I was under the impression the Fire did not have access to the Android Market either, rather it has access to the Amazon Market but not the full Android Market. Is that not correct?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you can actually download movies to the Kindle Fire and not just stream them, that's the winner.
How far does 6GB go when you already have books, apps, and music onboard?

Lack of expandable storage = epic fail!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #72
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How far does 6GB go when you already have books, apps, and music onboard?

Lack of expandable storage = epic fail!
I totally agree. I know people say you don't need much for reading, and yes, if you're talking epub or mobi books that's true. But when you get down to apps, movies, pdfs, that stuff takes up way more space than most people realize. I've said it before, but I soemhow managed to fill up my 16GB iphone 4 way faster than I thought I would. Do you know the app Oregon Trail takes up 1.1GB?
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #73
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
So, I just got a e-mail from Barnes and Noble announcing the new Nooks and B&N is actually offering a regular member discount on them now (vs. just a discount if you buy a new membership - looks like the terms are one discount on one nook device per membership per year). Member prices are: $224.00 for the new Nook Tablet, $174.00 for the Nook Color and $89.00 for the Nook simple touch. (regular prices are $249, $199, and $99 respectively). For $174.00, I'm almost tempted to get the Nook Color and root it.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I was under the impression the Fire did not have access to the Android Market either, rather it has access to the Amazon Market but not the full Android Market. Is that not correct?
You're correct. Access to Android Market for either device will require rooting.

Between NC2 and the Fire, NC2 is well worth the extra $50:
  • RAM: 1GB vs 512MB
  • Storage: 16GB vs 8GB
  • Expansion: mSD vs nothing
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #75
Grimm
DRM killer

$224.00? Really? Nice! I need to check my email!