Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Hi from an alien of the Kobo world!

Hi,
I'm the owner of multiple Kobos since 2015. I like to hack them to their core, as I recently got X working on them (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336210 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336433) and I made a few other tweaks/mods for those devices.

But sometimes I found myself reading this Kindle Developers' forum and to be honest; sometimes I don't understand half of the thread titles.
There with Kobos, it's very easy to just get into the device; type "devmodeon" in the search bar, and voilà, you've got telnet access as root to the entire Kobo! After that, it's yours to hack!

To be fair, here with Kindles, it seems... well... complicated. Could someone explain me what are the essentials that I'd need to know if I got myself a Kindle and wanted to hack it (like root access and all...).
And this process of "jailbreak", what does it consists of exactly? Apparently it's only doable for certain devices. E.g. Could I jailbroke the Kindle Oasis, or could I not?

I know I could peel off all the threads in this subforum, but I'd like to have summarized information on how to hack a Kindle, and how Kindles work (well I know they're running an X server and Linux of course, but maybe info on the bootloader, init process, etc.)

Thanks for your time!
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
most of the information is pretty concise and well maintained.
start here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564

if you get a kindle oasis 3 then currently no jail break exists. get an older one with a firmware that can be jail broke and then you are in business.

after jailbreak is installed, it can persist through firmware upgrades but the important thing is get it jailbroken.
mrpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:04 AM   #3
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpops View Post
most of the information is pretty concise and well maintained.
start here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564

if you get a kindle oasis 3 then currently no jail break exists. get an older one with a firmware that can be jail broke and then you are in business.

after jailbreak is installed, it can persist through firmware upgrades but the important thing is get it jailbroken.
Thanks
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote