Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
If you are a fan of Arthur C Clarke...

You will love this. Great spoof on Arthur C Clarke about 1/2 to 3/4ths in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeQi4zbT8fA

Last edited by HLS; 04-02-2018 at 08:04 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
You will love this. Great spoof on Arthur C Clarke about 1/2 to 3/4ths in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeQi4zbT8fA
I can't check YouTube videos at work, but I am an A.C. Clarke fan.

2001: A Space Odyssey is being re-released to theaters on May 18th to celebrate its 50th anniversary. I've seen it on the big screen before. But I'm still hoping to find a theater showing it: https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...h-anniversary/
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I can't check YouTube videos at work, but I am an A.C. Clarke fan.

2001: A Space Odyssey is being re-released to theaters on May 18th to celebrate its 50th anniversary. I've seen it on the big screen before. But I'm still hoping to find a theater showing it: https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...h-anniversary/
Don't sit too close to the screen or you'll see that the stars look like light bulbs.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I saw it when it first came out. Really cool movie, though I never understood the ending until I read the book. I liked the 2010 movie too, though it's not as good as 2001.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...I never understood the ending until I read the book.
I don't think many did.

Quote:
I liked the 2010 movie too, though it's not as good as 2001.
Yeah, it's tough to be a director trying to follow Stanley Kubrick. 2010 (the movie) is workmanlike, but I enjoyed it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just love love this short film. i watched it a million times at least. 2001 movie I di dnot understand till i read the books. Just simply blew my mind. Great books
Old 04-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I saw it when it first came out. Really cool movie, though I never understood the ending until I read the book.
They changed the ending of the movie because Kubrick had just made Dr. Strangelove and he didn't want to end two movies in a row with a nuclear explosion.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
If you are a fan of Arthur C Clarke...
Indeed!

Arthur C. rocks!

Last edited by frahse; 04-08-2018 at 12:30 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:38 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One book of his that I'd like to see become a movie is "The Sands of Mars."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Indeed!

Arthur C. rocks!
Well . . . not as much as he used to. What with bein' dead and all. Put a real crimp in his social life.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well . . . not as much as he used to. What with bein' dead and all. Put a real crimp in his social life.
He is Rock'n the Afterlife!
Old 04-11-2018, 01:02 AM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
His books live on.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One book of his that I'd like to see become a movie is "The Sands of Mars."

Is it good? His books are either fantastic or bad, no middle ground lol
Old 04-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #14
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
"Sands of Mars" is a very early novel, his second I think. And the first of his that I read. It seemed to me grown-up sf than than a bems-and-blasters space opera, about a struggling dome colony on Mars and its attempts to become self-sufficient, specially in atmosphere. It dates from about '53 so the Mars of the book is not quite the real Mars; atmosphere in the book is thin, but no thinner than the top of Everest, so pressure suits are not needed. However, oxygen masks are needed.

The plot involves a middle aged journalist joining a Mars supply mission to report on the colony back to Earth, and personal discoveries and realisations he makes when he gets there.

Not bad, but because the length of sf novels of the time was not great, the publishers preferring about 80,000 words, the details of the Martian ecology are not worked out in enough detail to work out where it's odd animal life came from.

It was good enough, though, to make me a Clarke fan and finish up reading a lot more.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:03 AM   #15
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Am I the only one that Hated, Hated, Hated the sequels to the Rama series by that idiot who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag? Jezzze what a waste of a great story line. That guy should have been tarred and feathered.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote