Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to import a Kobo book to Calibre

I just bought a book from Kobo. I opened my Kobo app on my Mac (and was told to upgrade it), and tried to read the new book. It had an error and told me to sign off and sign on, which I did. Then it opened on the app. I tried to find the app to load it into Calibre, but couldn't find it.

So I went to the web and found out that I could re-download it as a DRM protected epub. Well, if I can't break it, I will never buy another book from Kobo.

I downloaded it, and in my downloads file, was a file named URRLink.acsm. That won't be useful for Calibre, but I opened it and the Apple Reader wanted me to enter an Adobe ID and Adobe password.

Before getting an Adobe ID, I thought I'd ask you what this would get me. Will I be able to put the book in Calibre? Will I be able to use other readers on my iPad besides Kobo for this book?

What do you recommend?
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The ACSM file is a control file that is used by Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) to actually download the ePub. ADE in turn uses an Adobe ID and password to associate the DRMed content with you.

Apprentice Alf has tools that can link in with calibre to remove DRM from ADE protected ePubs. Additionally there is a tool OBOK that will access content within Kobo Desktop and remove the Kobo DRM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
HowardBrazee
Zealot

I will look for these tools. How do I find where my Kobo app on my Mac stored the book?
Old 05-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Do you have Kobo Desktop installed on your mac? If so you will find all the kepub versions of your ebooks in there.

I don't have a mac so can't help you with the location of the Kobo Desktop files, but, as far as I can see you don't need to know the location if you use obok in Calibre to convert them to epub files.

obok will locate the Kobo Desktop files and they will appear in the obok drop down box. Choose the ebook/s you want to change the format of and they will be imported into Calibre. That's all you need to do.

You will only need to download Adobe Digital Reader if you want to download the Kobo ebook as an epub file. Irrespective it will auto download to a kepub version on purchase, and you will find it in Kobo Desktop.

Let us know how yo go.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 05-03-2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: changed 'if not' to 'irrespective'
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
HowardBrazee
Zealot

I found the data - in an SQL database, in /Users/HBrazee/Library/Application Support/Kobo/Kobo Desktop Edition.

I opened my Calibre plugins, and found 3 plugins for Kobo that was listed, but not installed. I installed them, and restarted Calibre. Kobo Utilities is now an icon at the top of Calibre, but I don't see what it does when opening it.

With B&N & Amazon, I just open books in Calibre to remove their DRM. That won't work when I can't find a book in the SQL database. I stopped buying books from Apple when removing DRM stopped working.

So I Googled "obok calibre", found the file, and added the plug-in from Calibre selecting the file. It wanted the zip file, not the files I unzipped. After restarting Calibre, I found the icon, and ran it, getting a couple of books, but not my latest. I ran Kobo, synchronized it, and tried again. It worked. Thanks
Advert
Old 05-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
I found the data - in an SQL database, in /Users/HBrazee/Library/Application Support/Kobo/Kobo Desktop Edition.

I opened my Calibre plugins, and found 3 plugins for Kobo that was listed, but not installed. I installed them, and restarted Calibre. Kobo Utilities is now an icon at the top of Calibre, but I don't see what it does when opening it.
Lots and lots of things. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215339 for a reasonably up to date list. And one of the other plugins you installed was probably the KoboTouchExtended driver. Having it installed and enabled will mean that any epub sent to the device will be sent as a kepub. That might not be what you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #7
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Hi ! It's quite easy if you use a couple of calibre plugins to remove the drm first. You could check apprenticealf blog (https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com) for a long explanation. But to make a long story short, for the kobo, you have to follow this pattern :

1. got a adobe ID and install adobe digital edition on your mac
2. authorize the kobo to use adobe DRM (run adobe digital edition, plug the kobo, connect to the mac, right clic on the device inside ADE and "authorize")
3. go to your online kobo account, and download the free epub or the adobe drm epub (you'll get an ascm file)
4. open and download it with ADE, select it and show the file in the Finder
5. import the file in calibre where you have previously install the apprenticealf DeDrm plugins
6. you'll get a drm-free epub which continue to be considered by ADE as the one you bought (because, in fact, this is the case).

If you need a step by step help, just ask ; i bought 2 books yesterday that i haven't dedrm yet. I could do the thing step by step with screens.

Last edited by cramoisi; 05-04-2015 at 01:21 AM.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, drm, kobo