Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Price vs features

With the new Astak Mentor likely to be priced between 'less than $ 200' for 5"and 'less than $ 350' for 9.7’ according to their website, I was wondering, how the consumer is going to react. We don't know anything as yet about the hardware quality but what we know for sure that it is going to be an E-ink device. Now if one compares what Astak has on its website regarding the types of files their Mentor would be able to handle, it seems software wise they are unlikely (at least initially) to provide for a superior experience over the cybook Gen 3 or Sony. But no matter how inferior the software is (as long as it’s not too buggy) I don't see myself choosing a Cybook over Mentor if the latter does indeed come for a price of 200-250 for a 6 inch. What do you guy's think?
How important is price vis-à-vis software as long as the hardware is essentially the same?
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's released for under US$200 I'll eat my hat . Don't believe pre-release "guesstimates".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Ink View Post
With the new Astak Mentor likely to be priced between 'less than $ 200' for 5"and 'less than $ 350' for 9.7’ according to their website,
According to the first news in the first thread about the astak device, the 5" version should sell for under $160 ;-)
In the meantime they have moved the release schedule for 5" and 6" to the July.

I am very excited about this device, yet I am not going to hold my breath. Do you remember the very first speculations about Kindle? It was supposed to sell for $50 if I remember correctly.

*If* there is 5" model for under $200 and 9,7" model for under $400 I will purchase BOTH. I have alredy looked up a company that will purchase them for me in the USA and will import them here - (central europe)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's released for under US$200 I'll eat my hat . Don't believe pre-release "guesstimates".
It's ok if they loose money on each device... because they will make it up in volume.

(There seem to be no back/end sales on this as there is with Sony/Kindle.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote