Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Nook Color: Tips For Displaying Sideloaded Book Covers On NOOKcolor

Does Nook Color display book cover images for sideloaded content? I'm not familiar with Nook.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
dirtygreek
dirtygreek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
It doesn't display sideloaded books at all on the nook color "home screen" as far as I can tell, but in the library it does display covers if you have them.
dirtygreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I've tried everything to get it to move the side loaded books to the Home Screen Daily Shelf. This might be a deal buster for me and I may return it.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I've tried everything to get it to move the side loaded books to the Home Screen Daily Shelf. This might be a deal buster for me and I may return it.
I just posted a thread asking about this. I am a little pissed about this. I have a lot of stuff that I did not buy from them. I own it. Why can't I put it on the home screen? Waste of serious space.

I'm trying to get ahold of people at B&N about this. I have a feeling it's going to piss a lot of people off. They will have to add this to the software at some point.

In the short term, I'm ok as it's still very easy to go to the library and access all my books. I've loaded some comics in pdf format and they look amazing. Page turns on books have been zippy. I'm happy with everything but this @$^$ home screen daily shelf issue.
mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad5427 View Post
I just posted a thread asking about this. I am a little pissed about this. I have a lot of stuff that I did not buy from them. I own it. Why can't I put it on the home screen? Waste of serious space.

I'm trying to get ahold of people at B&N about this. I have a feeling it's going to piss a lot of people off. They will have to add this to the software at some point.

In the short term, I'm ok as it's still very easy to go to the library and access all my books. I've loaded some comics in pdf format and they look amazing. Page turns on books have been zippy. I'm happy with everything but this @$^$ home screen daily shelf issue.
I see it as the same thing as not having cover flow for all books on the regular nook. I bet it won't happen because they want your B&N purchased books to be "special" and to add an incentive to get you to buy B&N books.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

I, too, am disappointed about sideloaded content not being on the home screen. It's not a major issue if the book covers are viewable in the library. Organization is my main concern. They seem to have done a great job in that respect.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Let's face it, B&N is in the business of selling books, not readers. There is always going to be something to differentiate their own offerings from sideloaded content bought via competitors. I for one am thrilled that this time around they have actually listened to complaints about organization and combined the two in the library app, moving the differentiation out to the home screen instead. I'll gladly give up being able to prettily arrange covers on my home screen for the ability to usefully organize and search my library.

Admittedly I don't yet have a nook color, and have just played with one for a few minutes in the store. Is there some basic, necessary feature the home screen and/or shelves provide that is not available for sideloaded content via the library?
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
leighprefect
leighprefect began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
I'm not getting some of my image covers when I side-load using calibre. Anyone experiencing the same issue?
leighprefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
dirtygreek
dirtygreek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
The thing is, I think the homescreen is corny anyway. I just want it to work like the original nook - would like to be able to reroute the n button to just go straight to the library and bypass it completely. I guess once it's rooted...
dirtygreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighprefect View Post
I'm not getting some of my image covers when I side-load using calibre. Anyone experiencing the same issue?
Uh Oh! I'll be using calibre as well. Hope someone chimes in.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighprefect View Post
Same here. Some work, some don't. Not sure why...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Same here. Some work, some don't. Not sure why...
Calibre copies a thumbnail with the book. Nookcolor does not use that thumbnail, it gets the cover from the book itself. Make sure your EPUBs actually have a cover.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
SmashingTool
SmashingTool began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Calibre copies a thumbnail with the book. Nookcolor does not use that thumbnail, it gets the cover from the book itself. Make sure your EPUBs actually have a cover.

This may be true, but it does not completely cover it. Some of my epubs that have covers when opened do not show them in library view. Is there a specific setting that ensures it works? about 90% of my epubs are working, but the others are not. I have tried a bunch of alterations on them but have had no luck yet.
SmashingTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Can anyone give me a quick lesson in adding the covers to my epubs in calibre? Some of mine have them, but most don't.

I want to add the cover to the epub without screwing up the default formating of the epub.

Last edited by aagstn; 11-20-2010 at 02:46 PM.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote