Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
dgeers
dgeers began at the beginning.

Device: android
converting iBook

Hi. I just tried to import an iBook file to Calibre to convert it, but Calibre will not open it. I assume this is a DRM issue. What is the best solution?

Here is error log:
calibre, version 2.65.1
WARNING: Errors while adding: There were problems adding some files, click "Show details" for more information

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to add the file /Users/doug/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/939424053.ibooks to the book: /Users/doug/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/939424053
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 408, in add_formats
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1374, in add_format
File "site-packages/calibre/startup.py", line 118, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: u'/Users/doug/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/939424053.ibooks'

I am not attaching the iBook file here because it is huge. The ibook includes audio and animations. I understand that these may be lost during conversion, but I'd still like to convert the text.

Many thanks for any advice.
dgeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not support conversion of the ibook format. And iBooks does not store books as book files in its local storage, the "book" you are trying to add is actually a directory full of files. IIRC there were some scripts flaoting around somewhere to try to re-assemble those directories into actual ebook files, though I think they only worked with .epub not .ibook
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, ibook