Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Carroll, Lewis: Through the Looking-Glass (Illus.) v3 31 Dec 2015

"Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There" is the sequel to "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", and is likewise a humoristic nonsense story for children of all ages, written by Lewis Carroll (pseudonym of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) and first published in 1871. In this book Alice meets the Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the White and Red Queens, Humpty Dumpty, and the White Knight. This version is illustrated with all the original 50 drawings by John Tenniel.

The text is proofread, and formatted with curly quotes and dashes. I wish I could have done the "inverted" Jabberwocky fragment with CSS, but had to use an image instead. I hope the initial chess problem and tables work fine too. There is some code for non-rectangular wrapping around pictures, but it's commented out, because I'm not entirely satisfied with how it works in all cases (e.g., in landscape orientation).

Also available the first story: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Any kind of feedback is welcome.

EDIT (v2): Fixed a couple of indent issues
EDIT (v3): Fixed CSS3 flip

Previous download count: 2749
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Through the Looking-Glass.epub (7.63 MB, 898 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 12-31-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
seanbob
Enthusiast
seanbob is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Like I said on your other Alice eBook... I'm loving the origial Tenniel illustrations!

Thanks again for all your hard work!
seanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Thank you so much
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Brilliant, Jellby. Downloaded both for a re-read after too many years. Here's karma to yer elbow, mate. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
This looks excellent, thank you! I love the formatting overall but have a couple suggestions:
  1. On some readers (like my nook), if there are no margins defined it defaults to 0, so the text actually touches the black bezel and can be difficult to read. This can also cause the text to overlap the ADE page numbers on the right on some readers. I really don't like the giant margins that some books have, but a small margin is necessary in my opinion
  2. The chapter headers are specified as 3em from the top of the page. If the reader selects a very large font, combined with the large header font, this can push the header almost to the bottom. I suggest something that is relative to the page size, like 20% instead.

I've attached an updated style sheet which takes care of both, for your consideration.

(My style also has "text-align: justify", which is my preference, but you can take it out if you don't like that - my local copy already has this now so I'm happy! )

p.s. I used your embedded font code to embed a font in my version of "Little Women" - something I couldn't figure out. Thanks for that too!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip style.zip (1.4 KB, 506 views)
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
I've attached an updated style sheet which takes care of both, for your consideration.
The problem with "fixing" things for someone is that it often breaks them for someone else[*]. Regarding the margin and the justification, I'd prefer to leave them to be specified by the reader. The Cybooks, for instance, can change between left-aligned or justify text, but only if I don't specify any particular alignment in the CSS. If I set some margin, some readers will add it to the default, and others that would allow the user to set the margins, won't do that if the margin is hardcoded... As things are now, I prefer to keep things simple, it's already easy enough for the user to modify the stylesheet (at least for users who know how to do it, the others can complain to the reader makers).

The issue with the top margins of chapters is different, and you are probably right. However, note that for margins:

"The percentage is calculated with respect to the width of the generated box's containing block. Note that this is true for 'margin-top' and 'margin-bottom' as well."

which can also fail in other cases...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Thanks to pynch's work on Carroll's Complete Works, a couple of indentation problems have been found.

Uploaded v2.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

There was a left-over CSS3 code that inverts the already inverted Jabberwocky image. I only noticed when I opened the book in a CSS3-capable viewer, and it looks quite stupid there. It should be fixed now. When/if I go CSS3 only, I'll remove the inverted image and use text plus CSS3 transform.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #9
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Super clean code, nice layout, and awesomely high-contrast illustrations! Awesome work Jellby! Thanks!
radius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, humor, nonsense