Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kobo Glo -> Kobo Glo HD: noticeable difference?

My mom has been using a Kobo Glo since it was released and loving it. Her birthday is coming and I'm thinking of getting her a Glo HD (my H2O is too big for her).

I'm just wondering if the difference would be noticeable enough to make it a decent present. Sure the Carta contrast is better and the resolution increased 40% on each direction, but will it actually be an upgrade upon actual usage?
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The text is noticeably darker and has more contrast on the Glo HD, so for myself, it's a very nice upgrade. The text on the regular Glo looks gray in comparison now. Another thing I love about the Glo HD is that the screen is perfectly smooth, unlike the rough feel on the screen from the Glo. That doesn't seem to bother a lot of people, but it sure was a nice change for me (coming from Sony 350s that had perfectly smooth screens). The lighting is more even on the Glo HD as well, you can't even see the usual cone-shaped shadows at the bottom where the LEDs are.

The firmware is the same though, so all functions of the software are pretty much the same. Be warned though if your mom likes the games on the Glo, they are not included on the Glo HD. It's not a problem for me, when I pick up my ereader it's to read, I can use my phone or a computer if I want to play games.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I had an HD and the cones were visible. But the ligjt is more even. I took it back because it was so slow to turn pages. Theres not a massive difference between the screens but the HD styling is nicer. The HD light goes lower too.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:55 AM   #4
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks both of you. I ended up buying it because I needed a present, and shipping is gonna take forever to my corner of the globe anyways. I might do a small comparison between the two screens.
Frankly, the slower page turn speed is the kind of things that my mom would probably find annoying. I hope it doesn't bother her. That said, lower brightness minimum is super important for night reading.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The page turns are not going to be slower, once the firmware is updated.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2015, 04:02 AM   #6
Cex
Enthusiast
Cex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Glo; Glo HD; PW2; Voyage
I do not notice any slow page turn (I mostly use sideloaded epubs).
The screen is MUCH better in the Glo HD. Contrast is much better and ghosting is much lower. The lighting is more uniform and tone is less bluish.
I didn't like my old Glo but love the Glo HD.
You lose the card slot, but not a problem for me.
Regarding the shiny bezel that some people complaint I have only noticed it annoying once that I was reading under a halogen lamp.
Cex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes the screen is SO much better. I like the bezel much better too. And no card slot, but 4 GB instead of 2. It's a winner all the way around! You can even use a Glo case, or at least, I do. I suppose it depends on the case.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote