Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
JosephWebber
Enthusiast
JosephWebber began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle PW, PW3, Nook HD+
Nook HD+ charging

I have a Nook HD+ which was converted to a standard Android 7.1. It has worked perfectly well ever since the conversion.
However, I didn't use it for several weeks so I decided to charge it. But all I get is the pulsating spinning Android logo even after six hours on the mains, and it is not recognised when I connect it to the PC.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.
JosephWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
Ozymango
Ozymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook HD+, HD (Cyanogenmod, LineageOS), Simple Touch (rooted), various
Did you do the conversion, and if so (or if not), how do you feel about doing it again? I've got a couple of Nook HD+ devices I've rooted and changed the OS to Android via Cyanogenmod (which is now Lineage, I think) -- and I had a heck of time with Android 7.1 (Nougat, from cm_ovation-ota-NMF26Q.161222.zip image), it wasn't stable and would drain my battery in a few days. I had to leave it plugged in all the time to basically keep it bootable, and if/when it goes dead it's a pain to get it to come back up.

I tried various flavors of Android 7 on a couple of HD+ devices and never was happy with it -- the most stable Android OS I've found (and I've done a *lot* of experimenting) is 4.4.4, Cyanogenmod 11 ("ovation"), there's a good guide/walk-through on installing it at https://www.xaprb.com/blog/2015/01/1...d-nook-hdplus/

If you wanna stick with 7.1 then I'd recommend booting to recovery and do a wipe data/factory reset for starters, if you've no clue on how to do that there's a nice guide at https://nookhdplusandroid7.wordpress...k-hd-for-free/ [Edit: The guide will show you how to created a bootable microSD card so you can load recovery on your non-booting HD+)

Hope this helps, if you've got more questions just let me know!

(I'll be happy to write up a step-by-step guide with links to all specific needed files if you'd like, it's literally three zip files and one freeware disk imager prog to do all this so don't sweat)

Last edited by Ozymango; 10-02-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: More important details
Ozymango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
JosephWebber
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply.
I originally did the conversion using the website in your second link and that worked well. I had the battery drain problems but I fixed those with Greenify and another app whose name i can't quite remember (something like Battery Regulator).
The problem is now I can't boot to recovery or to anything else. All I get is the pulsating rotating Android logo
Old 10-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Ozymango
Ozymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephWebber View Post
The problem is now I can't boot to recovery or to anything else. All I get is the pulsating rotating Android logo
This may be a dumb question, but have you tried power-cycling it again? I've had a few times where my rooted HD would just sit and spin, and I fixed it by holding the power button in solid until it turns itself off (may take over ten seconds), wait another few seconds, then reboot. If your Nook was off for a long time and you have it set to auto update via Google Play, sometimes an update will choke the OS (that's my theory) and you've gotta power-cycle your device a few times to get it back up.

So try forcing a shutdown/restart a few times (if one restart won't do it) and let me know how it goes. Crossing my fingers!
Old 10-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
JosephWebber
Enthusiast

Tried it a few times: Cyanoboot Bootloader, then rotating logo, then nothing.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Ozymango

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephWebber View Post
Tried it a few times: Cyanoboot Bootloader, then rotating logo, then nothing.
Sorry to hear this, man. The only fix I know for this is a rebuild; use the guide to make yourself a bootable microSD card and start from scratch.