Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-21-2023, 05:31 PM   #1
mikhail_fil
Enthusiast
mikhail_fil began at the beginning.

Device: PC / ipad air
Find & Highlight Keywords (somehow)

I have a huge library of books and research papers (14k)
Lets say i do a following search:
"Hebbian Learning" "Long-Term Potentiation (LTP)" "Short-Term Potentiation (STP)" "Dopamine Hypothesis" "Split-Brain Theory" "Information Integration Theory" "Free Energy Principle" "Neural Correlates of Consciousness (NCC)" "Hierarchical Temporal Memory (HTM)" "Neural Darwinism" "Theory of Mind"
How can I "tell" which keywords were found where? Is there a temporary way to see which is found in which books metadata? Is there a way to then apply permanent "highlight" to that books Comment? or Tag it?
for full text search, i've been using Adobe Acrobat Catalog, but it would be great if this could be done in Calibre.
mikhail_fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:18 PM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail_fil View Post
Is there a way to then apply permanent "highlight" to that books Comment?
PDF XChange Editor can search across all open documents or within a folder/subfolder for a given expression and highlight all occurrences. Only PDF files, evidently...

edit: oh that's more applicable to FTS, I see you want to modify metadata, rather than text content

Last edited by Comfy.n; 07-22-2023 at 01:09 AM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2023, 07:33 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I have a huge library of books and research papers (14k)
Lets say i do a following search:
"Hebbian Learning" "Long-Term Potentiation (LTP)" "Short-Term Potentiation (STP)" "Dopamine Hypothesis" "Split-Brain Theory" "Information Integration Theory" "Free Energy Principle" "Neural Correlates of Consciousness (NCC)" "Hierarchical Temporal Memory (HTM)" "Neural Darwinism" "Theory of Mind"
How can I "tell" which keywords were found where? Is there a temporary way to see which is found in which books metadata? Is there a way to then apply permanent "highlight" to that books Comment? or Tag it?
I assume the search terms would be ORd.

Rather than modifying Comments for the books that satisfy the search criteria, I would probably Mark the books, and add the search-expression to a custom long text column via :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-22 085719.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	202765

But that doesn't answer your primary question: "In which metadata columns were the search terms found?" - I'm not aware of any way of getting that - other than eyeballing the Book Details panel. And, I suspect the search of a book's metadata would cease when a positive result is found - e.g. if "Hebbian Learning" appeared in a book's title the search would stop for that book.

Quote:
for full text search, i've been using Adobe Acrobat Catalog, but it would be great if this could be done in Calibre.
I'm not familiar with that tool, the Drop Search Results plugin can use a results list from other search tools (Windows Search, File Locator, Agent Ransack, X1, Everything and others) to Mark books in a calibre library.

And, there's another plugin that might be relevant - Multi-column Search.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-21-2023 at 07:36 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 12:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has built in full text search and you can tag or mark any book that matches a full text query. As for seeing which metadata item matched I'm afraid that's not possible.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
Maybe a janky way to add tags automatically for your database could be the Extract People and Other Metadata plugin (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4287169)

I usually use my library for fanfiction, which comes with (messy) metadata tags created by the author to let readers know what to expect. If you could create tags for your library you could use tag:"=Theory" and figure out which files contained which tags by looking in the book details column.

This isn't really temporary, you'd be using this as a permanent replacement for the fulltext search. You would have to figure out how make different variations of the same topic into the same tag I suppose, but that would probably be easily done with some regex.
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
keywords, search