Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
[Kobo] database disk image is malformed

I have two Kobo devices. On one of them I have no problem, the other suddenly can't communicate with Calibre (or vice versa, rather).

The error message is this:

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 515, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1878, in books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2970, in get_bookshelflist
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Is there a remedy for this? The device functions fine, except that the last batch of books I had sideloaded have suddenly been wiped from it. And I now get this message.

(Windows 10. Calibre 5.22.1 (64-bit)
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-touch-glo-etc
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Well, I hadn't seen that before. That basically amounts to: don't use Kobo devices.

Having just spent hours getting a 1000+ library on the device, I don't relish the thought of spending hours doing that again. Because I assume even logging out and logging back in and letting it rebuild the database means I've lost all of the shelving for the books that are present.

Back to the shop with this stupid Elipsa. The Forma never gave me any such problems.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry but I think Kovid is exaggerating there.

Yes the Kobo relies on a database on the device to keep track of books / collections (shelves) / reading status etc. Yes; this database can become damaged but this is rare, and quite often can be linked to either older mods (for instance at one time 3rd party add-ons installed to the partition where the books / database are located, preventing an unmount of the partition when a USB connection was made), or to crashes of the Kobo.

I've used Kobos for years (since the original Bluetooth version) and have only had a couple of db corruptions (and I've probably seen more f/w builds than most people).

The Kobo utilities plugin has the ability to perform backups of the db, either daily or on every connection, and also can validate and compress the db.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've been using my H2O for 6 years 7 months and I've never had a corrupt database. I do use Kobo Utilities to backup the database every time I connect to Calibre. While what Kovid pointed out may have been true back when it was written, it's not true now. If it was, many more people would be posting about it.

Most of the time a corrupt database is cause by an incorrect eject.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most of the time a corrupt database is cause by an incorrect eject.
I have noted that on my system Adobe Digital Editions interferes with ejection if it's running. The OS says the device has been safely ejected but the next time I connect it to Calibre there's an angry error. Re-connecting a second time always works though.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-29-2021 at 09:39 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Angry ARRRRRGH!!!

Well, add me to @franklekens. The identical problem just happened to me too. I've had five Kobo readers and never have I had this occur. Since it's new, I was in the process of sideloading additional books and did not yet have a backup. I hope this isn't the beginning of a buggy new device!

I hope the logout/login is the answer.

BTW, 1) I always use Kobo's supplied cables, 2) I always confirm there is no activity in progress before ejecting, and 3) never have any other apps open at the time (Win 10).

Code:

File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1974, in books

Last edited by Skydog; 06-29-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added info.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:23 PM   #8
Isurus
Isurus doesn't litterIsurus doesn't litter

Device: Quaderno A4 Gen2; Sage; Elipsa
I am seeing the same recurring problem on the Ellipsa. I have tried hard reset, log out/in, and adding books incrementally (instead of all at once). I am still seeing the problem on Calibre 5.23 and Ellipsa firmware 4.28.17925. Most likely a problem with Ellipsa firmware. I have no issues with my Forma.

calibre, version 5.23.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Isurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Well, add me to @franklekens. The identical problem just happened to me too. I've had five Kobo readers and never have I had this occur. Since it's new, I was in the process of sideloading additional books and did not yet have a backup. I hope this isn't the beginning of a buggy new device!
It would appear that all the posts about database corruption in the last while have been connected to using a Kobo Elipsa.

For what it's worth, my current experience with an Elipsa is a customer who is looking at them as replacements for their aging Sony DPT eNote devices. After sideloading the corporate content and "safely" ejecting the Elipsa, they have been shutting the connected computer down before unplugging the USB cable. Not exactly the speediest process but so far they have not seen any database corruption.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:14 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus View Post
I am seeing the same recurring problem on the Ellipsa. I have tried hard reset, log out/in, and adding books incrementally (instead of all at once). I am still seeing the problem on Calibre 5.23 and Ellipsa firmware 4.28.17925. Most likely a problem with Ellipsa firmware. I have no issues with my Forma.

calibre, version 5.23.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Unfortunately, I can't help. As @DNSB said, it seems to be an issue with the Elipsa, or the firmware on it. There is discussion on it in the Kobo forum. I have posted some suggestions that might help to track down when it happens, but, at the moment, we don't know. But, I do not believe it is a problem caused by calibre. I believe that something else is causing the problem, and calibre just happens to be the only thing that explicitly shows an error about it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Hello,

i have the same issue with my Kobo Libra HD (4.26.16704) :

Quote:
calibre, version 5.25.0
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le périphérique

There are some news about this problem ?
I'm uisng KoboUtilities pour read/update the reading status of books on my Kobo.
Do you also using this function ?

Last edited by dem1980fr; 08-14-2021 at 08:33 AM.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #12
dem1980fr
Enthusiast

I have hard reset my Kobo (no more kmon, no more nickelmenu, no more ebook).
I have then copy my ebooks from calibre to the Kobo and everything is working.
I ask the KoboUtilities plugin to synchronise reading status and the i have the error.
I think when this plugins try to read or write the reading status of ebbok, something is wrong.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:57 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
Hello,

i have the same issue with my Kobo Libra HD (4.26.16704) :

There are some news about this problem ?
I'm uisng KoboUtilities pour read/update the reading status of books on my Kobo.
Do you also using this function ?
Quote:
I have hard reset my Kobo (no more kmon, no more nickelmenu, no more ebook).
I have then copy my ebooks from calibre to the Kobo and everything is working.
I ask the KoboUtilities plugin to synchronise reading status and the i have the error.
I think when this plugins try to read or write the reading status of ebbok, something is wrong.
If you are still seeing the above error, then it is has nothing to do with Kobo Utilities plugin. That error is happening while the driver is trying to get the list of books from the device. And it is probably happening when the database on the device is first accessed. If the Kobo Utilities plugin is causing a problem, it happened when you last connected the device. And it doesn't write to the database except when you manually start one of the functions that do updates.

The reasons for the database being corrupted are unknown. It can happen if the device is not ejected properly. I think it would also happen if two applications tried to access the database at the same time. So running calibre and the Kobo desktop application at the same time is not recommended. Otherwise, it is something happening when using the device. Something might be crashing and corrupting the database. But, I don't know what. In the Kobo forum I recently made some suggestions for trying to find when it happens, but, there have been no results from that yet.

And for the record, it would be a rare day where I didn't plug one or more of my Kobo ereaders in. And I fetch the reading status from them when I do. I rarely see a corrupt database. And mostly I know because I messed up and accidentally unplugged the device. I would love to be able to say what it is that is causing this, but, I just don't know.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:55 AM   #14
dem1980fr
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answer.
I have only one Kobo and i don't use the Kobo Desktop, only Calibre.
I always disconnect the Kobo from the Calibre device option or from the Eject option from Win10.
I was able to reproduce it because i had the problem on my previous setup and i thought that hard reset the device will help.
So i start from a device that was hard reset (no more ebooks on it, no more custom program, the device was "formated") and i then have the same problem on the "new" device.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:14 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for your answer.
I have only one Kobo and i don't use the Kobo Desktop, only Calibre.
I always disconnect the Kobo from the Calibre device option or from the Eject option from Win10.
I was able to reproduce it because i had the problem on my previous setup and i thought that hard reset the device will help.
So i start from a device that was hard reset (no more ebooks on it, no more custom program, the device was "formated") and i then have the same problem on the "new" device.
As stated above, I have no real idea what causes the problem. I know certain ways to cause it a I mentioned. I also know, from heavy use of calibre and the Kobo Utilities plugin, that that is not the cause. If it is happening after a factory reset, then it could be a hardware fault. For the device with an internal SD card, I would suggest changing the card. But, the Libra H2O has fixed internal memory, so that cannot be done.

I mentioned discussion in the Kobo forum about working out the cause. This is inhttps://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340260. There are suggestions that in that for trying to determine when the corruption happens.