Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
ambition-kinsman
ambition-kinsman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Launch binary from the user

Hello there,

I wrote my own code to synchronize my Kobo with a self-hosted NextCloud instance. I am aware that there exists some solution that does this already but I was curious to develop on the Kobo, and it was a fun project.

Now the code fully works (tested via netcat in the Kobo itself) and I'm happy with it. However, one last thing remain: how to start the executable from the Kobo, and not from a netcat terminal

I have spent some time reading this forum, and I've seen a couple of solutions which all look great (and creative!) but I can't really implement then:

- Kobo Cloud / Wallabako udev rules. It looked easy to implement, but my opinion is that it's a bit unreliable and also I don't really trigger it myself. I need to connect/disconnect from the WiFi or reboot.
I have tried to watch the bus for other kind of events (e.g. on press, on access to a specific settings section, etc) but to no avail.

- fmon / Kute File Monitor: I was really impressed by how creative this is. However I'd like my program to be standalone, and not to depend on another one's code, and I don't think re-implementing this myself would be wise.

- Use NickelDbus / NickelMenu. Same cons as fmon / KFM.

- Go hardcore and use NickelHook to reimplement a NickelMenu like behavior. This looks to be too much effort for what started with a sync script, though I admire the effort and reading the code was really interesting!

I feel like it can't be that hard to start a simple binary from the user's point of view?

If you have any suggestions or see things I've missed I'd be more than happy to hear!!

Thanks
AK
ambition-kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you're talking about launching an executable on demand, then you'll need a launcher, which is what kfmon and NickelMenu are. Otherwise, you'd need to code your own launcher program to monitor for and take in user input, but then what would be the point?

But if you mean launch automatically from device boot up, you'll probably need to do it through udev. You can read dstaley's write up on Tailscale for hints.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
ambition-kinsman

@rtiangha, thanks for the reply.

I meant indeed to launch an executable on demand. Sorry that was not clear.

If there's no other way than a launcher, it does look indeed a bit overkill for a simple sync program.
Thank you for the link about Tailscale, I'll read that carefully. Maybe udev is the 'necessary evil' for a simple yet functioning solution.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Personally, I'd just use NickelMenu and call it a day. Chances are, the people who would want to use your script are also the sort of people who already have it installed. You can simply bundle your own NickelMenu config.

Out of curiosity, how are you getting Nickel to scan for new content?
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:37 AM   #5
ambition-kinsman

Hi @sherman,

Thanks for your input. I'm not so sure about your first assumption: NickelMenu is a full featured add-on that has "no purpose" for the end-user if they just want a quick sync script. But I do see your point.

I am using the "Library refresh trick" which I've found on the source of kobo-wget-sync: https://github.com/wernerb/kobo-wget...esh_library.sh