Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Sleep mode on the nook

I was wondering about the sleep mode of the nook. I would like to just put it to sleep when I'm done reading instead of shutting it down, but the "screen saver" seems to be a contradiction.

I would like to just put it to sleep with no screen saver, seems it might save on battery with a blank screen and would also prevent burn in since the screens change so infrequently. Anyway to do this?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I was wondering about the sleep mode of the nook. I would like to just put it to sleep when I'm done reading instead of shutting it down, but the "screen saver" seems to be a contradiction.

I would like to just put it to sleep with no screen saver, seems it might save on battery with a blank screen and would also prevent burn in since the screens change so infrequently. Anyway to do this?
An e-ink screen only needs power to change the screen. Once the picure is on the screen the screen does not need power (even if you would remove the battery, you would still see the picure).

An e-ink screen cannot burn in, so the infrequent screen change is not a problem (the change does need power!).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
An e-ink screen only needs power to change the screen. Once the picure is on the screen the screen does not need power (even if you would remove the battery, you would still see the picure).

An e-ink screen cannot burn in, so the infrequent screen change is not a problem (the change does need power!).
exactly!

Also, when I'm not going to read in, let's say, 4 hours or more I just turn off the device, sleeping mode consumes a little energy but not because the e-ink screen but the process running on background, I think it's like 0,5% of the battery per hour.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
I have had mine on sleep mode for a good 3 weeks and the battery has just gotten to the halfway mark.I have also done the drain the battery and charge it full once a month so my battery keeps a better charge than when i first got it.
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Cool, thanks guys, didn't know that e-Ink couldn't burn in...good to know.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert