Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Photo of smashed iLiad device

This poor guy over here cracked the screen of his iLiad device a day before New Year.

I honestly wish him more luck with e-readers for this year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crackediliadghost.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	2623  
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Ouch! That's gotta hurt his wallet!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Ouch! That's gotta hurt his wallet!
I took mine for a shower... it has been drying up for two days now, in fact I'm hitting the power button right now and saying some prayers...
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Good luck!
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
This thread has prompted me to buy an M-Edge case for mine.

Too bad they're on backorder
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
I've got a device that looks just like that (it was slung in my rucksack with an A4 book on a train journey and came out looking like that :-(

The device is possibly too fragile, without a cover, for an active lifestyle, and I wander if the cover would help enough ...

I'm mulling over if I want to get it fixed or wait for new devices comming out (as the cost of fixing it - it will probably cost more than getting a Sony or waiting for one of the new devices to be launched this year ...)
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
I took mine for a shower... it has been drying up for two days now, in fact I'm hitting the power button right now and saying some prayers...
It still works -- good, now I just gotta finish those books...
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
It still works -- good, now I just gotta finish those books...

Phew! That must have been quite a scare!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Phew! That must have been quite a scare!
Yes -- 600 euros down the drain, almost literally... I was assuming that one of my 2-3 insurances would cover it, but I'd rather not try. I already have a bad name at the insurance company, due to my "Yes! I won this year too" policy
Old 01-16-2007, 02:13 AM   #10
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

I was using my ereader for ~2-3 weeks and have the same problem happen. My broken ereader has been returned more than 8 weeks for the repairing.

I just got the following message form the technical support: " Unfortunately we have to inform you, that your device is still in our repair centre due to missing spare parts/displays. The repair centre will handle your case with high priority as soon as they receive the spare parts. " It takes forever.........

My advice is that if the reader is so easy to be broken; please come with a cover!!! B.T.W, its power managerment (battery life) is so bad- less than 10hours no matter you turn it off or not AND it is so bloddy expensive. I am so pissed off and may have to buy a sony erader!!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

I had a scare last night. I set the iliad on my bed when I got home from work. I was getting into bed later on, forgot about it, and accidently kicked it off in the dark. My bed is pretty tall (~3.5 feet), and I heard it hit the footboard. The first thing that came to my mind was that picture.

Luckily, it didn't have a scratch on it, and the screen has no damage. I just got a shipment notification on my M-Edge cover, so it'll be a relief when that gets here.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
B.T.W, its power managerment (battery life) is so bad- less than 10hours no matter you turn it off or not AND it is so bloddy expensive. I am so pissed off and may have to buy a sony erader!!
Faulty battery...? It shouldn't be draining if the unit is turned off...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@Adam B.

I can tell you from my own experience that the M-Edge Book-Cover does a lot to soothe your nerves. I don't know how well it would protect the Iliad from extreme pressure on the front (display), but apart from that it's very well padded and I don't wrap my Iliad in towels anymore when I transport it in my suitcase...:-)
I actually never take my Iliad out of the cover anyomre...only when I have to eset it which happens seldom luckily.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #14
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Even with my M-Edge case, I still didn't feel like the screen was fully protected. I don't think there's enough mass to the front cover of the screen. So what I did, was cut up an old 3 ring binder (the kind with the thick cardboard sides), and put it in the inside front sleeve. Since I used a black binder, it doesn't stand out. And aside from the side where you can see the cut, it looks pretty good. I really feel like my Iliad is protected now. And it give the case the little bit of thickness I thought it was lacking.