Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Vardd
Vardd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How do you move around with your kobo

Hey,
First i want to say i love my kobo, as i love every single technological "toy" I've bought. My ipod, my laptop, even headphones, ... , and of course my kobo. Every single one of them are "toys" in my mind, but toy that you have to respect. (I use the word toy because i get really excited by them and i really enjoy them)

But here is my question, for all my other devices, I've found a great way to move around with them without being scared of destroying them.

But i can't find one for my kobo. I go to school everyday with a bag-pack with a couples of math books, so i am scared to put my kobo in there, even with a case. (I used the roots one + I sometime use bubble envelope for extra protection)
Obviously, i don't have big enough pocket to put my kobo in my pocket.

So, How do you move around with your kobo ?
Thanks guys
Vardd
Vardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I've never worried, and never had any problems. Mine goes on my daily commute in my attache case.

I dropped mine (for the first time) on the ceramic tile floor in my kitchen last night. It doesn't seem to have harmed it in any way at all.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

You might try the DVD case idea, if you're really worried about it in your book bag.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
My back pack has a front mesh pocket that fits my Kobo just right.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
I take my unit out to my favorite coffee shop, Horton's I am using the Roots case ... serves the purpose..

I found that propping the front up with a paperback makes it easy to use ..
One thing I have noticed is that I need a little , look, else where to give my Mk1 eye balls a rest , I do not find the black page turn any different than page turning a book

I have one question .. We have had some warm weather here in Canada .. all over ... how would the Kobo do sitting in a stinking hot car and the flip side in out bitter cold winters

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... itting in a stinking hot car ...

I would not expect ANY electronic device - ESPECIALLY one with a screen - to properly operate after being subjected to "stinking hot" temperatures.

How about a little PlayMate cooler behind the seat for storage while you're out of the car? At minimum, place electronics in the glove compartment for minimal protection.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Carefully. All e-ink has a brittle glass substrate layer. My first e-reader, a Cybook, I broke by stumbling, dropping my bag and falling on top of it. Recently, I've got a small crack in the corner of my PB360 - not sure how it happened - I've been careful.

Generally, I try to avoid getting the e-reader in a position (such as in a backpack or purse) where it could twist or bend, e.g. I'd put it in vertically and if possible flat along other stiff, flat objects, like my netbook or books and such. I use covers that are stiff and re-inforced so as not to get pressure on the screen.

I once read here about a user who'd put his e-reader on a foot-stool and accidently broke the screen by putting his feet on it. Since then, I've avoided laying an e-reader on foot-stools and sofa cushions where I could accidently damage it because I was distracted. I do it because I know myself. Even if I don't want to, at some point I'll end up acting clumsily or carelessly, and prevention is better cure in my case
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
DVD case
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
flexnib
flexnib began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-T2, PRS 950, PRS 350
I am currently waiting for a replacement Kobo as the display on mine inexplicably went "wrong" (lower half did not display correctly). Took it back to Borders - they asked if I'd dropped it - I hadn't, but reading Ea's post above makes me wonder whether my dogs might have stepped on the screen. They are well-fed (though not fat!) chihuahuas I'm glad Borders are not arguing with me though. (we could have gone on and on: "You dropped it!" "I didn't!" "You must have!" "I swear I haven't dropped it!" etc)

Apparently Kobos are still in high demand here and black ones especially and so it's going to take a fortnight or so until I get my replacement. I actually have an iPad but find I enjoy reading more on the Kobo. (eInk is way more comfortable on my eyes.)

As to how I transport my Kobo, I have been using a nylon document holder which has a mesh pocket, with the Kobo sandwiched between a folded Manila folder...
flexnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
I have mine in a Kobo case, and then it goes in the laptop pocket in my bag (no laptop usually), although there are a couple of other books in there (a blank notebook and Little Gamers Volume 1).

If I dont have my laptop and seeing its freezing in Adelaide at the moment, sometimes it goes in the side pocket of my Audex Field Jacket (Burton), it fits perfectly in there.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I have a soft briefcase and carry my Kobo in that, but I make sure to place the screen side against something flat and fairly stiff. I'm looking forward to buying a case when they become available in a variety of styles to choose from.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
Vardd

I just gave a try to the DVD case, and as already mentioned multiples times, it fits perfectly.
techie42 : Yea my bag pack has one of those pocket too, but it is to much at the front, where people most of the time hits you when you walk around.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Dollar store! Until I find a case that I like, I bought an agenda, and took out the pages. So I have a stiff cover. I bought elastic hair bands (with "No Metal Parts") in the same colours to hold it in place. So for $3 I have protection that is not as fancy-looking as it could be but works for carrying it around. It's about 2" too big in each direction - length and width - so it's not ideal. But - $3!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
NickWilliams
NickWilliams began at the beginning.

I picked up this case from amazon, and I really like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Kobo-eReader-L...9032242&sr=8-1

It is not a hard case, but it seems to offer pretty good padding for average bumps and bruises. There is a link to a really amazing hard case in one of the other cover threads. The kobo snaps into it and it looks to be highly crush and impact resistant. Will copy it here if I can find it.

*edit*

Here is the link to the high impact case:

http://www.extremeinkjet.com/BookArm...karmorkobo.htm

Book Armor indeed!

Last edited by NickWilliams; 07-13-2010 at 11:13 AM.
NickWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
Vardd

"double layers of molded plastic and galvanized steel create a rigid outer protective shell for your electronic reader, while foam cushions the screen and controls."

Not bad
Good idea, If i see the DVD case doesn't work as I would like it to do, I might give it a try. Did anyone already tried the High impact case?

And i went to check at the dollar store, but found nothing that was good enough, or worth it. But I guess an other dollar store could have something interesting.